It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Charles Daly Diamond III: Initial Impressions (long post)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Note: this is long with lots of pics ,but I wanted to post this for those who have asked for pics or info on the Charles Daly Diamond III. So plan on being seated awhile if you intend to read this.

I just received my Charles Daly NRA Diamond III from CDNN and thought I’d post some initial impressions. This is not a “review,” as I have not yet shot this gun. Once that occurs, everything could be out the window… or I could be in love. So, before everyone gets all excited because I’m recommending a gun that I haven’t shot yet, understand… I’m not recommending this yet, and this is not a review. It’s a detailed initial impression, similar to what someone would post after seeing a gun in the store (well, a little more detailed than that). I’m very picky, so I’ll try to post some of what I see as positives with the fit/finish of this gun and some of what I see as the negatives as well.

First off, this came from CDNN. $599 + $17 shipping + $25 FFL fee. Not a bad deal in my mind. CDNN is great to work with; I’ve ordered parts, stocks, etc. many times from them, but this was my first firearms purchase. Troy was who I dealt with; he’s a winner.

Here’s the box the gun comes in for reference:

Here’s what the box looks like open. The gun is nicely packaged and protected. The three tubes below the receiver are choke tubes; the other two, of course, are in the gun. This gun came with Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Modified, Improved Modified, and Full chokes. It also came with a small manual, some NRA brochures, and a cheesy choke tube wrench (it's rough but it works).

Here are close ups of one side and the underside of the receiver. Engraving is very clean and crisp, and the silver finish is very nice. The NRA badge is very tasteful as well and not overly large. Note the dark smudges are oil; I did not clean this gun prior to taking these pics.

Here’s the inside of the receiver. There are some tooling marks as you can see, but nothing major in my mind. But, thought I’d show the inside of the receiver.

Here’s the gun assembled, next to its new neighbor (an older SKB 500). Note that the CD’s wood is darker and more red in tone. I was happy to see that. The CD, in my mind, has nicer wood than the SKB in terms of color and grain. There’s a couple pics here of the two side by side.

Here’s some close ups of the wood on the CD. The checkering is very sharp, very clean, and perfectly executed. In fact, I’m sure this is laser checkering as there are not tell-tale slight imperfections as often seen on hand checkering. In short, I’m very happy with the checkering on this gun. The buttstock wood is ever so slightly lighter in tone than the forearm. Not sure if you can tell by the pics, and it’s subtle, but it’s there. It doesn’t bug me a ton, but it is something I noticed.

Here’s a couple pics of either side of the receiver. Note that the wood is slightly “proud” of the receiver on both sides, and it’s slightly more proud on the right (or starboard) side of the gun. Not much, but again it’s there. It doesn’t bug me and many people may not notice if they weren’t specifically looking for it. Fit to metal is in general well executed. It’s not a perfect match, but it’s about what I’ve seen on other o/u guns such as Brownings, Franchis, etc. that I’ve seen in stores lately. Essentially, it’s what you’d expect from a standard grade firearm. I will say that I was somewhat concerned that the Charles Daly name on the barrel would be somewhat garish and amateur looking, but it’s not. It’s a subtle gray/gold tone and it’s not as outlandish as I had feared it could have been. In terms of metal fit, barrel to receiver fit is very tight. It takes some force to completely close the gun, but it’s not difficult by any means. It’s also tight in opening, but not overly so and can easily be opened keeping the hands on the grip and forearm without having to change grip for leverage. The forearm is a tight fit on the barrel and requires a slight “bump” with the palm of the hand to fully lock into place, but it doesn’t pose any problems removing or installing. Not shown in the pics is that the midrib is not solid under the forearm, but this is not a big deal as you never see it and likely adds some weight savings.

Here’s a pic of something I noticed. The rib, upon initial inspection, appeared to be somewhat “off.” I couldn’t exactly place what was going on, but after further review noticed the rib takes an ever so slight turn a few inches from the receiver. I really had to study this awhile to see what was happening, and for awhile thought it was an optical illusion. But, look at the pic below. The rib doesn’t meet the center of the receiver perfectly. So me, being the anal retentive person I am, got out the caliper I use to measure cartridge cases for reloading and determined the following. Rib width: . 272 inches (or 6mm). Width of receiver design between points where “rough” design on top comes to meet barrel: .36 inches. Distance on each side of rib between rib and point where receiver design meets barrel if the rib were perfectly centered: .044 inches. Actual distance on right side: .052 inches. Actual distance on left side: .036 inches. Essentially, the rib appears to be off .008 inches from center at the point where it meets the receiver. Yes, it’s picky, but I noticed it. Does it bug me? Slightly. Will it impact shooting? No. Again, the rest of the rib is straight. The turn of the rib occurs a few inches before the point where it meets the receiver. Not to make excuses for Charles Daly (or, actually, Marocchi who made the gun), but I’ve seen uneven and “wavy” ribs on Franchis, Rugers, and other shotguns I’ve looked at lately. Is it something I’m happy to see? Absolutely not. But, in all honestly, I’d rather have this than a “wavy” rib any day. Yes, many higher end guns may not have this issue at all, ever. But my point is that Charles Daly (or, again, Marocchi) doesn’t have the market cornered on this issue, it’s minor, and I can live with it. The pics below show the point at which the rib meets the receiver, as well as what the rib looks like when looking down the barrel. Is it a big deal? You decide.

I also wanted to see how this gun compared to my SKB. Initially, I can tell you it feels heavier and more muzzle-weighted than the SKB. It also feels slightly taller in the action and the drop feels different. So, I took some measurements to be sure. The drop on the SKB stock is 1 5/8” at comb, 2 3/4” at heel. The CD measured 1 3/8” at comb, 2 1/4” at heel. Please note there were some imperfect variables involved here, but the fact is the CD has a higher stock in relation to the sight plane and it feels that way as well. On the SKB, I’m looking down the barrel. On the CD, I’m looking somewhat over the barrel.

In terms of weight, I did not weigh these guns myself. But, specs on the CD show it coming in at 8 lbs, 1 oz. Specs on the SKB show it coming in at 7 lbs, 12 oz . So I’ll believe that because the SKB does feel marginally lighter.

The action on the SKB felt shorter, and my measurements shot it being 2.428 inches in height. The action on the CD measured at 2.558 inches. Again, measurement justified feel.

With balance, the SKB balances right on the hinge. Smack dab. The CD with choke tubes installed balanced approximately 5/8” in front of the hinge. However, with the tubes removed, balance shifted to right under, or ever every so slightly, in front of the hinge. It’s important to note that my SKB has Briley Thinwall chokes installed as an aftermarket mod and the CD has the typical factory “bulge” at the end of the barrels and standard thick chokes, which would explain the difference in balance point. To me, the CD felt more like a Citori in terms of balance (the 28” Citoris with choke tubes that I’ve picked up have all felt somewhat muzzle weighted).

So, in conclusion, the CD in my mind is nicely finished with nice wood, checkering, and appears to lock up tight. Bluing, engraving, and overall finish are well executed. It feels heavier than my SKB and balances somewhat differently, but that may not be a bad thing if I’m going to be busting clays for any length of time. I’ll be interested to see how the differences in drop with the stock changes POI vs the SKB, if at all. The gun has some flaws in terms of fit/finish as I’ve outlined above, but I can live with all of these and not be bothered at all by any of them as long as it turns out to be a good shooter. And, the photos I’ve posted are accurate representations of what I’ve outlined, so you can see whether issues like this are a “big deal” in your mind or not. Finally, I’d like to note that observations were made in my basement after the kiddies went to bed using whatever was available (for example, the balance test was conducted balancing the gun on the edge of a Thomas the Tank Engine play table… which is about ½” in width). As another note, I had an opportunity on a business trip recently to look at a couple Classic Doubles shotguns that were also made by Marochhi a few years back, and this gun was almost identical to the Classic Doubles Model 90 I looked at except the Classic Doubles gun had a schnabel forearm.

So, take it for what it’s worth: just one guy’s observations, to the best of his ability, regarding initial impressions related to fit/finish of his new toy. Yours may be different, and if you have or in the future purchase a Diamond III it may have different nuances, but this is how mine appears in the first few hours of ownership. Enjoy.

Added: here's the link to the American Rifleman article from a few years back on these guns in case anyone is interested:

http://www.charlesdaly.com/inthepress/A ... 006_hi.pdf

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: Re: Charles Daly Diamond III: Initial Impressions (long post)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:24 am 
Diamond Grade

That is a lot of gun for $600.00. As far as the wood being a little proud, I want that in a new gun so I can refinish it down the road if I want to. I like the way they hold the top lever open. Looks like it is built real well. Just think, you could buy 3 of them and still have less then $2000.00 invested!! Wish you would have taken some pics. of the ejectors and how they work and inside of the forarm.

Great pics by the way. What kind of camera did you use???
Thanks for the post
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:23 am 
Tournament Grade

I'll take some pics of the ejectors and the inside of the forearm, probably sometime this weekend.

Yes, it does appear to be a lot of gun for the money. I don't think anything else at $599 touches this from what I've seen. This vs. a Baikal or a Condor? Absolutely no comparison. Especially since, by all indications, this appears to be the same receiver/action as used on the Winchester 1001 guns made by Marocchi a few years back (but with barrels that won't have a risk of blowing with higher pressure brass shotshells like the 1001). I like the fact that it takes standard Remchoke tubes and not some hard to find, proprietary system.

As far as the camera, it's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH1A. Did a lot of research on the camera before I bought it (go figure), and I'm very happy w/ it. Pics were done in "food" scene setting, which doesn't shoot flash so gets better detail, color, and less light variation. But only good on still pics.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:53 am 
Diamond Grade

Exceptional photos and writeup Martowski. I would have to say that my own example of the D-III matches yours almost exactly, though mine does not appear to have the slight bend in the rib. My Diamond II however, does have a bit, also at the end like yours. My eyesight is so lousy at short distances these days however, that I never even noticed until you pointed it out. I appears to make no difference at all in shootability.

Hopefully the difference in drop at the comb won't be difficult for you to adjust to. Sometimes it can be. I know that I have a lot of difficulty shooting my Lanber as well as I shoot my CD D-III. The Lanber has about 1/2" more drop at the comb than the CD. I am thinking of having an adjustable comb installed on the Lanber to compensate for this.

I am also happy to have you confirm what I have been saying on this forum for a while now, often antagonizing lovers of other inexpensive shotguns as well as those who believe that nothing costing less than $1500.00 is worth buying.

Quote:
Yes, it does appear to be a lot of gun for the money. I don't think anything else at $599 touches this from what I've seen. This vs. a Baikal or a Condor? Absolutely no comparison. Especially since, by all indications, this appears to be the same receiver/action as used on the Winchester 1001 guns made by Marocchi a few years back (but with barrels that won't have a risk of blowing with higher pressure brass shotshells like the 1001). I like the fact that it takes standard Remchoke tubes and not some hard to find, proprietary system.

These have been my sentiments since I first got my D-III, and after doing pretty extensive research on the other available O/Us selling for less than $1000.00 new. It is the best value out there right now.... though I suspect they won't be out there for much longer. I look forward to reading how you like it once you get a chance to shoot it a bit. When do you think that is going to happen?

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible."

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:31 pm 
Field Grade

Superb post.

Lets not forget that by all accounts CD/KBI is honoring the lifetime warranty,with shipping paid both ways.

Mine has only been shot once,but we will do something about that.

Keep postin' guys.

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:42 pm 
Field Grade

Do I feel like a chump.Not 60 seconds after my last post,I see CD/KBI is defunct.So much for the warranty I guess.I'm still falling in love with my CD...er..Marocchi!

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:17 pm 
Field Grade

Right there with you brother.

Have not even shot mine yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

Rob Eades wrote:
Do I feel like a chump.Not 60 seconds after my last post,I see CD/KBI is defunct.So much for the warranty I guess.I'm still falling in love with my CD...er..Marocchi!

Rob

Jeezzzuss !!! I thought you were kidding. Not only do I feel like a chump, I feel really stupid for recommending these shotguns to other forum members now. This is freeking unbelievable!!!

For those of you who are just getting their shotguns now, if you are uncomfortable with this new development, I suspect that you can return your shotgun at no charge to CDNN.

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible."

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, here's how I feel. If the gun never needs service, I'm fine. If the gun does need service ever should I be concerned?

Go figure... the DAY after I receive possession of mine the company closes. :(

Below is text from the company's website.

To all our friends, fans, supporters and consumers of Charles Daly and by extension, KBI products, I regret to inform you that the rumors of our demise are true.

KBI is going out of business and closing its doors, effective today, January 29, 2010.

I don't want to go into each and every detail as to why this has occurred, except to say that there have been a multitude of events over the past five years that have contributed to our current situation.

For those of you with ongoing service requirements please be advised that we are currently negotiating with several companies that will be performing after-sale service of Charles Daly, CD Defense and Jericho firearms. As soon as we have finalized a contract with one of these companies we will post the name, address and contact details of that company on www.CharlesDalyForum.com, so you will know who to contact to obtain service on your KBI firearm.

Again, I wish to thank all of you that have supported our company, Charles Daly and all the other fine firearms that we have sold over the years.. This spells the end of KBI but I imagine it will certainly not mean the end of Charles Daly® and CD Defense™. Look for this excellent brand to resurface in the very near future.

Sincerely,
Michael B. Kassnar, President
K.B.I., Inc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:50 pm 
Field Grade

I registered my warranty yesterday,as if it matters,but if you haven't yet,I'd still hurry and do it if the site will allow it.There could be some residual value.

My grandfathers L C Smith that my dad just gave me doesn't have a warranty either,I was still happy to get it!

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I actually did register my warranty online yesterday, late last night around 11 p.m. Good point... and glad I did as the CD website is now unavailable from what I can see.

The warranty was one of the big selling points to me. But, I do buy a lot of used guns that obviously don't have warranties and don't have heartburn about those. My biggest concern is that this design is not as prolific/common as others, and if I need service will parts be readily available via my local gunsmith now? Yes, I know the CD announcement states that discussions are underway to provide support for these products, but without knowing that this entails right now it's hard to bank on that.

Here's a question for everyone: I had read a couple reports on the Charles Daly board of people stating they had problems with the trigger sets on these guns. I just did a quick function test (you know, dry fire, bump pad, dry fire) on both barrels, testing over as first barrel, under as first barrel, over only, under only, and then over as first again and under as first again. All times, trigger sets seemed to work fine and I got a satisfying "click" for dry fire. However, of course, I can't tell for sure what occurred with the firing pin coming through the hole as I wasn't firing live ammunition. I would assume I'd be reasonably safe to say that the intertia triggers are (at least initially) working as required, correct? For anyone who had issues with this function, was it an issue that developed over time or was present from day one?

I will state that I still feel the gun is a great value and is still a beautiful firearm. And, providing it runs well and doesn't need service I have a great deal on a great shotgun. But the parts availability really concerns me now.

As a quick fun fact, I recently bought an older used SKB and now the SKB factory in Japan is closed. So, if I buy a gun rest assured the company who made it will likely go under in short order. Oh, and yeah, I drive a Pontiac Grand Prix as well... see a pattern?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was one of those owners that had problems with trigger reset on my CD II. I called CD a month ago to pick up my gun for this problem and they said they would. After waiting for the pick up that never came,"now I know why" I called numerous times and got only a busy signal. I decided to take matters in my own hands and take the gun apart at the buttstock to clean and oil the mechanism. I sprayed the entire thing with breakfree scrubbed with Hoppes#9 blasted it all out with compressed air and oiled it with Remoil. Today I took it to the range to try it out and am pleased to say the problem is gone and the gun is firing both barrels as it should. I still have other issues with this gun but at least a good cleaning out was all it needed to get it functioning again. I guess there was some packing grease left in there gumming up the reset.If you decide to take yours apart you will need a 5mm allen on the end of a socket wrench extension

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well, despite the demise of Charles Daly I ordered a Diamond III from CDNN yesterday. I originally bought a Win 101 used,sadly the former owner punched out the full choke barrel to IC. Since my primary reason for the gun was trap it was pretty useless, it also kicked the snot out of me. 101 barrels are so thin the only option is Briley, I was not going to put 400 bucks in a choke system, that was past my budget.
My dealer Sporty's in Claskanine OR gave me virtually full credit on the 101 due to the fact that I stated to them I planned to shoot trap, they did not know the barrel had been reamed, I found that out when I patterned it. Big shout out to Sporty thanks!
At any rate I must have missed the bit about the Demise of CD, given the great value of these guns I think I would have ordered it anyway. I will give the gun a very careful inspection when it comes in, but I am not too worried.
Looking forward to it's arrival next week. I'll shoot some pics and do a write up on it after a trip to the patterning boards.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Anyone had any experience having a CD Diamond III worked on anywhere besides Charles Daly? Is the average gunsmith going to be able to diagnose and fix problems with this gun if, potentially, the supply of parts doesn't exist?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

David,

Here are pics of the inside of the forearm and the ejectors.

As a side note, I have a couple old 1993 and 1994 Winchester catalogs that show the Winchester 1001 shotgun. The receiver, including every piece of engraving, trigger, etc. and checkering on wood is 100% identical to the Charles Daly Diamond III. The only small differences I can see are some markings on the barrel which makes sense since the problem with the 1001 was the barrels. It's safe to say that since both the CD and the 1001 were made by Marocchi that these are the same shotguns.

Regardless of the demise of CD, I'm still happy with the purchase thus far and as long as the gun is a decent shooter feel I got a heck of a deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for the pics , very nice. Looks to be built very well. Nice wide ejectors, thats good. NOW before you open and shut that gun one more time get some grease on the front end iron where it is rubbing on the receiver and those hinge pins. I can all ready see marks on the front end iron. You don;t want to gall the metal!!! Also put a few drops of oil on the top lever where it goes into the receiver, and a little on the ejector channels. Also put a dab of grease on the end of the cocking bar, thats the one coming out of the center of the front end iron. It pushes on that flat bar in the bottom of the receiver. Metal to metal has to have LUBE Enjoy
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:36 pm 
Field Grade

Martowski,

Please elaborate on the 1001 connection.This adds a great story to a cool budget gun.Was the 1001 a target gun? It must have been if they weigh in at 8lb+.What was the price point of the 1001? What niche were they supposed to fill?

On the warranty thing,our lives are so full of economic uncertainty these days that worrying about a warranty on a $600 gun is a joke.I'm going to shoot the heck out of mine.If it breaks I'll figure it out!

I'm even thinking of picking up another or two.I've got two daughters in college,What could be better down the road,if I'm lucky enough to get two decent son-in-laws,than to pull out two of these babies,still in the wrap as wedding presents. :D

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Pull up http://WWW.marocchiarms.com and download their catalog. I think the Zero 3 looks very similar. Same underlug action, ejectors very similar. I'm really looking forward to receiving mine! I love a great bargain, esp. in firearms.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

First off, I cannot take credit for the all the info about the 1001. I got the indication from other posts that this was the same gun as the CD Diamond III, and went and did some research. I went on e-bay and found an old ad for the 1001 for sale and looked at it... and lo and behold it looked just like the CD. So, I then starting looking through old gun magazines and, by pure chance, found a Gun Tests issue from 1994 in my bookshelf that had a review of the Winchester 1001. Again, gun looked just like the CD and was stated to be made by Marocchi. So, I decided to buy a couple old Winchester product books from 1993 and 1994 and, you guessed it, it's the same gun. The CD Diamond II appears to be the same as the Field Grade 1001, and the CD Diamond III appears to be the same as the 1001 Sporting Clays model EXCEPT for some of the barrel specs (Win 101 had 10mm rib, CD has 6mm rib). As a funny side note, upon close examination the 1001 Sporting Clays models from 1993 and 1994 are not the same gun. Very, very similar, but not the same. The CD is the same as what's featured in the 1994 Winchester product book. I suspect that the gun shown in the 1993 product book was possibly an early prototype or sample gun, not the final production model. So, based on the fact the guns look identical in every possibly way except for some of the barrel detail (Win 1001 had slightly different top rib and a vented mid rib), both were made by Marocchi, and the specs are essentially identical, it’s reasonable to form the conclusion they are functionally the same gun.

As a side note, I called CDNN today and talked to someone as I was thinking through my options. They said I could return the gun if I wanted, but to think about it as, in their words, you can't find a better deal on a shotgun in the country. The guy I talked with said that Winchester made them. That’s not completely true, but knowing this is the same as the 1001 and they were both made by Marocchi I can see why he said that. BTW, I’m not returning the gun. I just did another function check of trigger sets and ejector operation using snap caps and everything appears to work as it should. It’s a great gun, it’s beautiful, and it’s mine… and I love having things that are a little off the beaten path.

Here is a link to some info regarding the 1001 recall. I read somewhere else that the issue was that the barrels may not have been able to take high pressure brass cased loads. I haven’t actually heard or read of anyone having a 1001 fail on them in actual use.

http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm

Below is from Winchester's 1994 Product Guide. Note: there is no information regarding copyright or restrictions on reproduction of these images anywhere on the guide as this was a free publication.

Look familiar Diamond III owners?

BTW, also, here’s some pics of the internals of my CD Diamond III. I took the stock off to lube up the internals and, of course, followed Dave’s advice on greasing and lubing other parts.

Again, my CD seems to switch barrels appropriately and eject as required.

Last edited by Martowski on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:48 am 
Diamond Grade

Incredible Martowski, you have unquestionably nailed it. There appears to no longer be any doubt at all about the origin of these guns. Clearly, some of the details of the barrel are different, as they should be considering the recall, but the rolled on engraving is EXACTLY the same. Thank you for your intensive and accurate research. The origin of the receiver makes everyone's hush hush attitude about the source of these guns understandable, not that there was ever anything wrong with the receivers, but the association with a shotgun line that was entirely recalled would likely put a damper on sales.

Though I am disappointed about the loss of warranty on my own D-III, some of that pain is offset by the knowledge of what I actually own. I was able to find someplace on line that indicated they have an inventory of parts for the 1001, so one of my concerns is relieved. I may call them up and see if they have some of the parts most likely to fail, like firing pins and springs, and order some of them.

Despite it all, I still really like my shotgun.

Bertrand Russell

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next