CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Super X1 Price
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:17 am 
Tournament Grade

A local shop has a Winchester Super X 1 in nice shape for $450. I have heard good things about this shotgun, but am not sure about the value. Is this about right?

Post subject: Re: Winchester Super X1 Price
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:08 am 
Presentation Grade

It depends.....go to gunbroker.com and see the ones for sale and compare what your guy is selling.....is it a field gun with no VR barrel? Is it a Stage I, II or III trigger? Screw barrel?

You need more specific details about the gun......

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:00 am 
Presentation Grade

$450 is a good starting price for A SuperX-1. Any field model in good shape is worth $450 and up. Trap and skeet models in good shape will start around $500 up to around $750-$800 in exellent shape. They are very good shooters. If the stocks have been cut and or altered this may bring the price down somewhat. Happy shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bangalore wrote:
It depends.....go to gunbroker.com and see the ones for sale and compare what your guy is selling.....is it a field gun with no VR barrel? Is it a Stage I, II or III trigger? Screw barrel?

You need more specific details about the gun......

How do you tell the difference in a screw barrel and VR barrel? Trigger?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

While not an SX-1 expert... I know a little (which is probably dangerous). I have one and love it. Built like a tank, will last for generations.

The "screw barrel" refers to the earlier models having the vent rib held in place (at the muzzle) by a screw. Of course, you can imagine screws loosen / come out. Supposedly, if you have choke tubes installed this causes a problem, and to have it done properly, the vent rib then needs to be brazed in place.

Regarding the triggers, there were various upgrades. The latest were the best, they are smooth (not grooved). I can't tell you why the newer ones are better, just what I heard. Mine has a very nice trigger.

So if you find a nice one with a smooth faced trigger and no screw in the rib, you're set. There is a recoil buffer in the back of the action that will almost certainly need to be replaced... and an o-ring on the gas tube also. Cheap parts.

Otherwise, they are very nice shotguns. Depending on your use, one downfall is they are HEAVY (all machined steel)... I use mine for trap, the weight is great.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

How do you identify a VR barrel?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A VR barrel has a raised ventilated rib. Plain barrels are just that, and have no rib.

An SX1 is without any question the highest quality gas operated semi auto target gun ever made. It would cost a small fortune to make one today. They shoot 2 3/4 inch shells only, they have fixed chokes only, they demand new $20 recoil buffers every now and again,,,and they wil shoot hundreds and hundreds of thousands of shots.

If Harley Davidson had ever made a shotgun,,,it would be an SX1.;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ok, I went back to the shop today and looked at the Super X1 again and the bluing is in good condition at around 95%. I don't think the stock is cut down because there is a thin white shim in between the wood and the recoil pad. There is a vented rib that is fastened with an allen screw near the front bead. The trigger is not ribbed but smooth and black. The serial is 18xxx. The choke is full. Given this what is a good price for this this model? $450 is being asked.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:40 am 
Presentation Grade

Again, if you go to gunbroker.com and look at the ones for sale, you can compare them to the one you are thinking of buying....it sounds like you have an early field receiver (no engraving); screw holding vented rib onto barrel (less desirable) field barrel; maybe a Stage II trigger and a field stock. It is not unusual for people to switch parts in these guns. For example, there is a so-called trap gun for sale on gunbroker right now which has a field stock, target forearm, trap barrel and receiver and an early trigger.

There is a "black market" industry of people buying field X-1s for scavenging parts. Many X-1s that go on sale have mismatched/switched parts. If you take a picture of the gun with your camera and post it, I can tell you what you have.....by the way, measure the distance from the center of the trigger to the center of the recoil pad and see what measurement you get. It will tell if the butt was shortened.

By the way, if the gun is in very good to excellent shape, $400 -$450 is about right.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:58 am 
Presentation Grade

Just get the gun!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you have other autos or pumps you are probably familiar with taking out the trigger group by cocking the gun and removing the crosspin(s) that hold the trigger group in place. Assuming you are, bring a punch with you and ask the shopowner if you can remove the trigger group. I allowed remove the trigger group and check for to see if the rubber bolt buffer is in place in the top back area of the receiver, and if is not check to see if the receiver or bolt have been battered by extended use without a buffer. The length of pull should measure about 14" to 14 1/4" inches if unaltered. You can take the forearm off and check the magazine tube for rust or wear. Easily replaced, but if rusted you can bargain the price down further. If all that checks out and the bore is good I would buy it.

All of this and more has been stated in posts on the I Love My Winchester forum.