Shotgun Forum banner

Benelli Cordoba or Beretta Xplor 400

6K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  BigAL33 
#1 ·
Need some help, I'm retiring my browning bps pump and going to an auto loader. I've narrowed it down to 2 guns, Benelli Cordoba or the Beretta Xplor 400. Both fit me well except I will have to use the shims for the Beretta. I mostly hunt ducks, pheasants, doves, and sometimes geese. This gun will be mostly used for hunting and hardly ever skeet. I don't need to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells.

Right now I'm leaning a little towards the Cordoba because it feels the best without having to use the shims but I'm a little nervous about the ported barrel and how much extra volume it will crank out. I don't want to have my ears ringing and don't want to have to wear ear plugs to use my gun.

I would love to hear from people who actually own or have shot one of these guns, and any comment on the increased loudness of the cordoba would be great. Thanks!

#2 ·
My disdain for barrel ports knows no bounds, regardless of who is drilling holes in a perfectly good barrel. You won't like this bit of advice, but wear hearing protection every chance you can. I have many friends that "just wouldn't listen" . . . and now they can't.

Whether you change a shim or not doesn't mean a thing-- it is the end result that counts. You might also consider an M2 or a Vinci in the Benelli area. If you're getting away from a BPS 12 gauge, your arms will tell you at the end of the day that all of them are a lot of fun when you do even moderate walking.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice on the ported barrel, that's pretty much what I thought I would hear. I do also like the way the super black eagle II and the vinci feel, but don't really like the trigger guard on the vinci as it feels like it might hurt your hand when you shoot, any experience with that? I'm also a little nervous about how so many people say the super black eagle II kicks like a mule and doesn't cycle the lighter loads as well. The Xplor 400 seems like a really good gun and as long as I can shim it ok then that would be good, but I'm a little nervous about beretta's customer service. I'm 6' 5" 220lbs so hopefully the stock is able to drop enough on the Xplor 400.

#4 ·
If you aren't going to shoot 3-1/2 in. shells, then spending one single penny for that "capability" is a waste.

Yes, I shoot a Vinci regularly-- like anything else, nothing beats a test drive to tell you what you need to know, for you. I've never had a Vinci trigger guard touch me, let alone cause any discomfort. Regardless of what gun you go with, you are using shims. It is just a question of whether you are using the factory installed ones or others that come with the gun. Your height and weight doesn't translate to gun fit. I would sure be more convenient if it did, but it doesn't.

Beretta has no customer service, but that isn't all bad . . . they've finally admitted it. Cole Gunsmithing does Beretta warranty work, as does other service centers.

#5 ·
Hey Randy I bought a Beretta xtrema2 from Sportsmans warehouse on one of those hot smokin deals for 899.00 it came with two IM choke tubes so I Emailed Beretta to see if I could trade the extra IM for the modified that was supposed to come with the gun...I no sooner hit the send button on the email and my new tube was in my mailbox so it appears Beretta is working on that customer service!!!!!!

#6 ·
I have used my Xplor a ton for Geese and Trap, only change I made was adding a Briley extended Light Modified choke tube. Also have a Super Sport, clay game version of the Cordoba.

The felt recoil on the Xplor is a lot less than the Super Sport (or any Benelli for that matter, Montefeltro or SBEII from my experience with field/game loads).

The Xplor weight and feel for me are above the Super Sport.

The ported barrel is a pain (if you clean the ports that is!).

The Xplor shots/cycles clean, it is much easier and faster to clean than the 391 or Urika gas set-up. Most of the gunk is on the post at the gas valve and in the gas valve / barrel sleeve.

Xplor has cycled everything I have tried, Win AA light target, Remington bulk target, 3" magnum steel, and Remington Dove/Quail loads with ease.

For the money the Xplor is a full use shotgun, light and heavy loads, soft shooting, great trigger, and good looking stock.

Also use a Winchester SX3 composite stock 2 3/4" and 3" as well as the Waterfowl magnum version. Real nice soft shooting shotguns (both) and consistently cycle lighter loads. Mine are synthetic stock and I have not noticed the painful jolt to the jaw with the hollow buttstock that can happen with light weight shotguns.

All of these are great guns, you need to find the gun/one that 'fits' the best for you LOP, barrel sight alignment, and shoulder mount.

#8 ·
I had a Benelli SS with a 28" barrel. Same as the Cordoba, but different exterior finishes. Was a good shooter, reliable as heck, easy to clean. I wore the same ear protection as I usually do, and I didn't notice the gun to be extremely loud for a 12. None of the guys at the two clubs I shot at said a word about the noise, either. Lent it to a visiting guest for one pheasant outing and took it myself on another. Our dogs did not seem at all bothered by it. Generally, though, I prefer to walk with a 26" or 28" in double. In short, I am not a fan of porting, but I don't think I'd let it run me off a Cordoba.

Can't comment on the Xplor. Have handled, but not shot. I eventually want a Vinci. Just can't justify it this year. Already bought 2 O/Us and two SX-1s in 2010. I have to behave for a little while. Bringing the credit card balance back to zero before I will allow myself a new gun. Not far to go, though! :)

#9 ·
Bought my wife the A400 for clays since she expressed an interest in joining me. Borrowed it and several others from friends - she REALLY like that gun - this one has shot everything we have fed it, including my light 3/4 oz loads without a hiccup, and the felt recoil was minimal......light and easy to swing, and the gas action reduces the felt recoil even more than the Benelli

#10 ·
My A400 also spits out 3/4 oz with ease . 5000 rounds no problems ! I have not shot 3 1/2 s so I dont know how thay will cycle . I also have a xtrema 2 that I love but it does not like the light stuff (1oz).The only reason I like the 3 1/2 inch option is when I run out of ammo (or it got wet)(or I forgot my fnammo). Beggars cant be choosers !! 3/4 oz of nice shot With the A400 Will be my duck hammer this year ,.

#11 ·
Honestly guys this is like asking whether red heads are pretier then blonds.
This is my 3e year I am shooting my Cordoba 12 Ga. I am still in love with its flawless feeding and cycling, its balance, grip, overall design, low recoil, extremely low maintenance and a snap to take apart, far easier and faster then a gas auto. The porting lets you recover immediatly for another shot, rather then be thrown of taget by recoil and then line up once again. I have tripled on Sharptails and doubled on a number of occasions on huns. I have fired now just shy of 3000 rounds. It is a great performer for long strings of target loads or in the game fields with upland loads or heavy waterfowl loads. The comfort tech stock design makes it virtual recoil proof.
I am 5 feet 11 and 169 lbs. I can take any load with ease.
I like the grip, balance better then that of the Berettas. Strictly personal, since I think also highly of the Berettas.
Check for feel, balance, if possible try to fire each one of them and pick what you like best.
They are both superb guns.

#14 ·
I was raised on remington 1100s have a 28gauge, 2 20 gauges and a sporting 28gauge, but about 3 years ago I got both a cordoba and super black eagle II in 20 gauge. They are hands down the best auto loaders I have ever used. Plan on getting another cordoba if they ever make it in 28 gauge (I'm told next year). As far as the ported barrel goes, I can't hear anything different between the two imho. But if the ported barrel is a deal breaker for you, you should really take a look at the Super black eagle II. I have had many friends try the cordoba while shooting skeet or hunting, and they fall in love with it too. Two of them shoot beretta auto loaders but not sure on model though. Cleaning is also a breeze as others have already said.

I have yet to handle or shoot the xplor yet so I can't comment on it.

#15 ·
I've shot both, currently own neither, but like both in the hands.

Porting is something I avoid like the plague, but not everyone cares. I don't think it has any value at all, though, so it's not a "plus".

The Cordoba is biased towards swing, as you might expect from a dove gun. They can work well for clays, too. The A400 has more of an all-around feel to it, with a little less of a swinging feel, if that makes sense to anyone. It worked fine for Skeet, too, but if I were to choose one of the two for hunting over dogs, I think it'd be the A400.

#16 ·
A ported barrel will get you thrown out of or not let into alot of Duck Blinds! The Cordoba would be very nice if is was available without the ports.
My SBE II shoots 1oz loads all day long and does not skip a beat but I have never shot anything lighter or have a need to but I shoot at feathers more than clay, when shooting clay I usually carry a Urika Sporting, hint hint.

Kurt

#17 ·
I know I'm a bit late chiming in on this but here's a hands on opinion.

I own a Cordoba 20 gauge (for sale) and while it's a nice gun, there are some flaws that are real and have been discussed in this forum. I just returned from a hunt in Canada and was shooting with a guy who shoots the Super Sport. The noise difference between that and my Browning Silver Hunter (both are 20 gauges) was more than noticable by our guide. Porting is not a good thing if you're sitting in a blind.
The other thing I've noticed is that the cycling of the Cordoba/SuperSport is slow and weak. I've seen several mis-feeds with these 2 models.

Last month I had the chance at shooting the Xplor at the local sporting clays course and can say without a doubt, that is is the lightest shooting shotgun you'll find for hunting waterfowl or upland birds... and that includes a 28 gauge. I was shooting my Cordoba 20 ga the day I first shot the Xplor and could not believe what a soft shooter it was shooting 1 oz target loads. My buddy was shooting a near 8 lb 28 gauge custom over/under (on a large frame) and I can say straight-faced that the Xplor shot a great deal softer than the little 28 shooting 3/4 oz loads.
My 20 ga Cordoba has less than 100 rounds put thru it... and it's now for sale. It will be replaced by the first A400 Light (3" model) that becomes available.
Beretta hit a grand slam with this gun.

#18 ·
I went through pretty much the exact situation myself. I had heard a lot of good stuff about benelli's, but I actually had a buddy that owned a urika model beretta. That beretta was one sweet shooting gun, no doubt. There was only one problem, I couldn't hit a darn thing with it. It just didn't feel right to me at all. I went through 180 clays and prolly only hit about 20 of them. Mind you I am giving full credit to my inability to shoot that gun and not saying anything negative about the functioning capability of the gun itself.

So the journey to try out benelli's began. Long story short, ended up with the cordoba. I have zero complaints!! I'm approaching 10,000 rounds with it and ive loved every one of them. If it is louder than my 11-87 premiere, I can't tell. But like Randy said, you should always have protection when shooting. Also, I am not a duck hunter, so I can't speak about that subject but I can certainly understand the argument. Those ports throw some gas circumferentially like nobodies business!

My cordoba is NOT for sale and if it continues to perform they way it has been, it won't ever be. My advice to you is to definitely try and shoot em both.

#19 ·
I have a 20ga cordoba which I use exclusively for doves. I use ear protection out in the field so I don't notice any extra noise from the ports. IMO, the 20ga cordoba may be the finest dedicated dove shotgun on the market. I've been using B&P F2 Classic shells #7s 15/16oz with great success this season including some very high crossing whitewing shots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.