CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Model 91 used for 600?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:12 pm 
Field Grade

I have not heard a lot about these guns, but it seems to be in nice shape and I need a new gun. I have heard that parts are scarce for these guns, but I have also heard that the model 101's part are compatible with it. Anyone want to voice their opinions? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 91 used for 600?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have no opinion on the Model 91 but the Standard Catalog of Firearms says:

"Model 91
This over-and-under shotgun was built for Winchester by Laurona for its European markets. Offered in 12 gauge only with 28" barrels the barrels were fitted with a ventilated rib. The gun was offered with single or double triggers with hand-checkered walnut stock with oil finish and hand-engraved receiver. The finish was black chorme. The gun weighs 7 1/2 lbs. Rare.

NIB $1100, EXC.$800, V.G. $600, Good $500, Fair $400, Poor $200"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would be very surprised if a single part from the Japanese made 101's fit the Spanish made 91's. I wonder if there is a CNC milling machine anywhere in Eibar.;)

For that matter, it would be a mild surprise to find that a single part from one Model 91 would fit another. Maybe the firing pins.;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:08 am 
Diamond Grade

I'll bet that Simmonds, Heller, and Nicholson exports a lot of products to Eibar.

They are all file manufacture's :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:25 am 
Crown Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
I would be very surprised if a single part from the Japanese made 101's fit the Spanish made 91's.

+1 on that. They were made on different continents.

I would feel a lot better about a Spanish double if it had double triggers. Single triggers reportedly have spotty and inconsistent reputations (at least in the SxSs). Here's a recent thread concerning Spanish single triggers. (No first-hand experience here.)

MD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:02 pm 
Crown Grade

SuperXOne and MD are correct. The Olin-Kodensha built Winchester Model 101 and the Laurona built Winchester Model 91 are completely different designs and the parts are not interchangeable.

IIRC, Laurona O/U's used to feature twin double triggers (also offered on some pre-WWII Browning Superposed O/U's). The first pull of the front trigger would fire the bottom barrel, a second pull would fire the top barrel. The first pull of the rear trigger would fire the top barrel, the second pull would fire the bottom barrel. I don't know if that feature was available on the guns private labelled as Winchester Model 91's.

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:38 pm 
Crown Grade

A guy in the UK was selling one where he described the rear trigger as being able to fire both barrels. You may notice in the pic that the gun appears to have a coin finish rather than a black chrome.

Here's one from GI for $595 with DT and coin finish.

And another from GB with a SST in black chrome.

MD