Shotgun Forum banner

Winchester Super X Pump (SXP) Defender Review

27K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  outlawskinnyd 
#1 ·
At the gunshow a month ago, I handled about 2 dozen home defence shotguns and took home a new Winchester Super X Pump (SXP) Defender. 12 gauge, 5+1 capacity, fixed cylinder bore, 3" chamber, 18" chrome-lined barrel, aircraft aluminum machined receiver, 13 3/4" pull stock. It is an improvement on the Winchester 1200/1300 design (rotating bolt inertia mechanism). I liked it because the stock fit me, the controls were the best, and it is light and well-balanced. The comb on a bead-sighted Remington 870 is too high for me. The comb on the SXP is just right and the slightly shorter 13 3/4" pull also fits me better. The comb has very little rise for less cheek slap on recoil. The recoil pad is very soft and energy absorbing.

The slide release is behind the trigger guard (like a Mossberg), so you can activate it with the middle finger of the trigger hand without shifting your grip on the rear stock (unlike an 870). The safety is on the front of the trigger guard (the best possible place since this is the natural ready postion of the trigger finger).

The bolt has rotating locking lugs that engage the barrel extension directly, whereas most other pump shotguns lock up with the receiver or only one part of the barrel extension. It is like an AR-15 bolt lock up on steroids. This contains the energy of the shot and allows a less-stressed lightweight aluminum alloy receiver. The inertia of firing a round delay rotates the bolt and unlocks the action, aiding in extraction, decreasing manual cycling effort, and shortening cycling time. The momentum of the combined bolt and carrier drive the ejection stroke. Follow up shots are thus faster compared to other pump shotguns. The nickname of the Winchester 1200/1300 was the "Speed Pump" as it claimed to be the fastest cycling pump-action shotgun. Some called it the "Auto-Pump". It has been timed at 3 shots in 0.56ths of a second. Most people assume all pump shotguns have the same rate of fire. Not true. The Winchester Speed Pump is the fastest on Earth.

The gun is designed by Winchester but is manufactured and imported from Turkey. That might bother you if you must buy American. Turkey has a long history of gun manufacture and the quality of this gun is excellent. I also own a high quality Turkish Stoeger Cougar 9mm pistol.

Because it is an import, the magazine is restricted to 5 rds. The mag tube is solid and one piece. Inner dimples at the end of the mag tube retain the mag spring retainer, so a mag tube extender will not work unless the dimples are removed. If you did that, the retainer will go flying everytime you unscrewed the mag cap. I have no problems with the 5+1 capacity. In fact, the set back of the one piece mag tube is probably less likely to be damaged.

The build quality is very solid with no slop at the barrel/receiver interface with a lightly hand-tightened mag cap. The dual slide arms are made from one piece of metal, eliminating forearm slop and making disassembly a breeze. Mossberg 500/590 forearm wobble feels cheap by comparison. You can tell how well designed and executed this gun is by its close fit, solid feel, and easy of disassembly/reassembly. I can disassemble it to the level of the firing pin in less than 20 seconds. The SPX is a handsome gun with good lines and even finish. The forearm has deep groves for excellent control when working the action. Sporter models with 26" and 28" barrels are available

Price: $309

Downsides: 6+1 capacity would have been better, no aftermarket accessories (new model), safety won't work well for lefties (the Mossberg thumb safety would work better for them), top of receiver not tapped for optics.

Winchester Super X Pump (SXP) 12g 18" Defender Model

See less See more
#3 ·
So far I have fired 150rds 2 3/4" skeet loads and 50rds 2 3/4" oo buckshot (full power). At only 6 lbs 4 oz the SXP Defender is lighter than your typical HD shotgun. It is bare bones and has a light weight aluminum alloy receiver. This makes it very easy to carry and point. Because it is light it did kick a bit with the buckshot loads, but not too bad or unexpected. The horizontal comb did not punch my cheek and the soft recoil pad (from the SX3 series) took away the sharpness of the punch at the shoulder.

The "Speed Pump" inertia bolt/carrier assists the extraction stroke. To shoot this gun fast, the pump hand pulls the stock back into the shoulder pocket while aiming, as you would shooting a rifle. When the trigger is pulled, the gun fires and the bolt/carrier drives the action back naturally with no effort. The empty is ejected a millisecond after the bang (seemingly simultaneously). Grip on the forearm is maintained easily; it does not jerk out of your pump hand. I saw a photo of a pro shooter shoot an SXP with no hand on the pump and the empty extracted by itself, but I don't recommend people shoot this way as you should have maximum control over your gun at all times. To chamber the next round all that is needed is a quick forward flick of the pump and you are ready to repeat fire. So instead of traditional two stage pump action, it seems like just a single pump action. If you fight it by pushing the pump away from you as you aim, you could short stroke. It is easy to get the hang of it though. One way to train is to load 6 dummy snap caps and dry fire them as fast as possible. Do this a dozen times and muscle memory takes over.

Disassembly is a snap and takes less than 20 seconds. Double check for empty, unscrew the mag cap and remove the barrel. The entire trigger/elevator unit slides out after pushing out a single receiver pin. The Win 1300 had a three piece action bar/plate subassembly. On the Win SXP this is now a single piece of steel. This allows the bolt assembly to be pulled out with the forearm. It also all but eliminates forearm wobble, making the gun feel strong and solid. Other pump shotgun brands feel rattley in comparison. The barrel and chamber are chrome lined and shiny for high corrosion resistance and slick extraction.

The controls (slide release and safety) are optimally placed so you don't have to shift your grip to operate either one. This alone was a major selling point for me. Much better arrangement than the Rem 870 or Moss 500.

I think you can tell I like this shotgun a whole lot. The funny thing is, not too many shooters know it exists.

#4 ·
You might want to lay off that Speed Pump Kool Aid just a little. My 870 will eject rounds all by itself if you fire it one handed too. I am glad you are happy with the gun, but I ain't seen nobody pump nuthin' faster than Tom or Tim with those Benellis, and I'm no Benelli fan.

#6 ·
It would be very difficult for Winchester to make a cheaper gun that the original, late, unlamented, unmourned Model 1200 and it's spawn such as the Ranger 120 and the 1300 series. The old guns were safe, but if the part was not connected with safety,,,,,it was made as cheaply as humanly possible and still function.

Hopefully even the Turks, as sad as their reputation is, would not stoop to make such cheap, glossy counterfeit Winchesters. I would think that even a Turk making a modern knock off of what was the worst pump shotgun Winchester ever offered would have enough conscience to add a penny or two to the cost of critical parts and give his gun a sporting chance to be regarded as a quality firearm. Even a poor Turk would have that much pride, I would think. I cannot imagine the "Super X Pump" being worse than "The Speed Pump".

#7 ·
I have been inside and outside of this gun. I am very particular about my firearms. I can't find a single defect, metallurgy problem, mechanical problem, or shooting problem. The fit (for example the barrel to the receiver) is exceptional, trigger is sound, controls snick just right, finish is durable. The forearm does not wobble and rattle like all of the other pumps I have tried. It is not a fancy, beautiful, or expensive gun. It is a well-made tool, though. If I do find a problem I will certainly let you know about it. The SXP is a big improvement over the 1200/1300 with modern manufacturing techniques and tighter tolerances. I doubt you will have any quality problems with the SXP. This is coming from someone who actually owns and shoots the gun and did not enter with preconceived notions. There are many Americans who will not buy a foreign-made shotgun, and I can understand that completely.

#9 ·
Sorry, no Winchester ties at all. I was all set to buy either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 590, when I came across the SXP. Last year I bought a like-new Winchester 94 AE 30/30 with original box and manual. The 94 and the SXP are the only Winchesters I own currently. I am looking at a used Winchester SX2 Tactical 22" 12G semi-auto shotgun.

I did mention a few SXP negatives: only 5+1 capacity due to import restrictions, non-reversible safety (not good for lefties), receiver not drilled and tapped for optics, and the light weight increases recoil.

Other negatives: parts not likely compatible with 1200/1300, no aftermarket accessories, back of receiver straight (without the chevron shape of the 1200/1300) so old 1300 stocks or pistol grips won't fit, and (as far as I know) no different barrels offered (yet).

#10 ·
I have always liked the basic design of this gun. It really is a very
smooth working gun. There is no reason, in my mind, that they
can't make a dependable gun out of this, with stamped out
trigger parts etc, because Remington and Mossberg do it all
the time, yet I hear reports of this gun being unreliable.
I did own a couple of these originals, a M1200 and a Left hand
model 1400 auto. The auto did not give me any problems, but
the 1200 broke screws off that held the bolt body to the underlying
steel plate. This was because of poor fit of the underlying steel
plate, and Winchester supposedly fixed that. If they could
make that stamped trigger assembly as reliable as an 870, I
think they would have a real winner, and as far as I know
maybe they do. One thing I am a bit of a nonbeliever on is
the magazine tube. Winchester says the new SX3 now has
an alloy mag tube instead of steel to further lighten it. If that
is the case, I am not interested. The gun was light enough
before, and no thank you, I don't need a super soft mag
tube to dent and get banged up. Now if the sxp also has
this space aged alloy tube then forget it, I can't run fast
enough to stay away from it. I do like how slick the
action worked though on the 1200 and 1300 models.

#12 ·
The Mag cap and Mag tube are both aluminum alloy. The mag tube metal is fairly thick and looks highly unlikely to dent. Since it is aluminum, it wont rust like steel and the mag cap threads won't seize. The mag tube has a very tough black semi-gloss finish that must be a type of Duracoat. There is no wear on it after 250 or so rounds and several hundred times dry cycling the action. The mag tube is one piece and set back from the muzzle (5+1 capacity) making it less prone to damage than a two piece tube (with extension).

Adding a mag extension tube would not be simple as the mag spring retainer is held in place by two inner dimples at the end of the mag tube. If the dimples are removed, the mag spring won't be retained when you unscrew the extension. I wouldn't even know what extensions are compatible with the right threading on the mag tube end. A two shot extension would likely extend beyond the muzzle. Best to leave it as is.

It may have an edge on an auto as far as reliability. It is very simple and easier to maitain than an auto and costs 1/2 to 1/3 as much as an auto. Some autos do not load directly from the mag tube for the first round without manipulation. I don't want to be fumbling the first round with a home defense shotgun.

#14 ·
DevilsAdvocate said:
I have always liked the basic design of this gun. It really is a very
smooth working gun. There is no reason, in my mind, that they
can't make a dependable gun out of this, with stamped out
trigger parts etc, because Remington and Mossberg do it all
the time, yet I hear reports of this gun being unreliable.
I did own a couple of these originals, a M1200 and a Left hand
model 1400 auto. The auto did not give me any problems, but
the 1200 broke screws off that held the bolt body to the underlying
steel plate. This was because of poor fit of the underlying steel
plate, and Winchester supposedly fixed that. If they could
make that stamped trigger assembly as reliable as an 870, I
think they would have a real winner, and as far as I know
maybe they do. One thing I am a bit of a nonbeliever on is
the magazine tube. Winchester says the new SX3 now has
an alloy mag tube instead of steel to further lighten it. If that
is the case, I am not interested. The gun was light enough
before, and no thank you, I don't need a super soft mag
tube to dent and get banged up. Now if the sxp also has
this space aged alloy tube then forget it, I can't run fast
enough to stay away from it. I do like how slick the
action worked though on the 1200 and 1300 models.
They have indeed fixed the bolt plate system. On the old 1200 and 1300 the actions bars and bolt plate have been made from three pieces into one piece of solid steel. No bolt plate screws either. There is nothing there to wear out, break, or loosen.

#16 ·
For $100 extra, Winchester sells an SXP Camp/Field Combo version. 12G, 5+1 capacity, sporter style forearm, 18" cylinder bored Defender barrel, and your choice of 26" or 28" ribbed and choked sporter barrel. Same excellent controls and "speed pump" rotating bolt. Barrel swap in 10 seconds. They say, "Beware the man with one gun, because he surely knows how to use it."

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=512257

The advantages are obvious but I will mention them anyway: cost savings of two guns in one. No change to to rear stock needed (unlike rifled/smooth bore combos), same sight line. Sporter forearm (borrowed from the SX3) looks better with long barrel and allows option of holding pump closer to ones body so you can be more square to target. Barrel wear shared over two barrels. Adds choke versatility to HD shotgun. No compromise of having a too short sporting gun and too long HD gun. Controls mastered when shooting thousands of skeet and huntin rounds will train muscle memory for home defense. 10 second barrel swap without tools.

This is a new offering or 2011, as it is not in the 2010 Winchester catalog. You may have to special order it through your local gun shop. Kind of wish I had known about the combo bedore buying my single barreled Defender. If I buy this combo, I will have a whole other dedicated sporting shotgun and a spare 18" HD barrel for either shotgun. I can convert my sporter into a home defense in 10 seconds, so my wife and I will each be armed with HD shotguns, should things go bad ala Cairo. It is not like SXPs are expensive either. I may do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.