It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upright Shooting Position Sporting Gun
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:44 am 
Limited Edition

Looking for some recommendations. I shoot a Beretta right now for sporting clay. Shot some upright guns, (K-80, CG Impact and also made a temp rib for my Beretta) and really like the feeling of shooting this way. Trying to decide on a gun. Really like the Blaser Super Sport, not real thrilled with the CG. Wouls like to look at a DT-10 Beretta but they dont have this in upright type of gun unless a guy could try the trap gun.
Not sure I can afford a Krieghoff or Kolar. Was really leaning toward the Blaser but looking for opinions I guess. The Blaser fits me real well.

608-343-0713

Post subject: Re: Upright Shooting Position Sporting Gun
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:37 am 
Crown Grade

If you can't shoot a gun in the upright position, it doesn't fit, at least in the way I like it. You might find that you really like fancy ribs and outlandish stock geometry, but that doesn't substitute for gun fit, which is a different issue.

So I think there are two questions here. :)

This is a shot someone snapped of me shooting pigeons for a dog training session. This is a low-rib 12 Gauge Beretta field gun that fits me well. Note that my head is upright, and I just pulled the gun into position with my forward hand.

To show how the gun got there, this was snapped when I was acquiring another, higher target, just before I had the gun mounted.

For Clays, I have a similar-fitting 32" 682 Gold E Sporting. But one of the better shots I know prefers the Trap version with a high rib and a raised comb. I believe it's the X Trap. He is taller than I, and he has a longer neck and a smaller face, so it fits him much better. He has Beretta field guns, but they really sit a bit too low for his eye. He shoots Churchill in the field (more or less) so he doesn't really see the rib the same way as at the range.

Just some food for thought.

Good shooting!

Last edited by BarryD on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:44 am 
Limited Edition

My impression is that when shooting my standard rib gun I do have to slightly lower my head to fit the gun. The adjustability of the Blaser Super Sport looks appealing. I also have a tendancy to pull my head off the stock sometimes and does not seem to happen with the taller rib guns.

608-343-0713

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:48 am 
Crown Grade

That does sound like a gun fit issue.

Of course, you might well want that Blaser. But I'd have someone skilled in analyzing and teaching mount and fit look at you, the gun, your mount, etc., before dropping a lot of cash on any gun just yet. You'll be better able to decide on what gun you really like, and how you really want it to fit.

I re-learned mounting with a good instructor, and suddenly, my guns "didn't fit me any more." I'd unconsciously adjusted myself to the guns, and I had to change them. But I've been a lot happier with the guns ever since -- and I've hit more birds, especially live ones where there's no time to shimmy around trying to get the gun in the right spot. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:46 am 
Crown Grade

I'm having a problem with the concept of high comb/high rib = upright shooting position.

As Barry points out, if your head isn't already close to upright then something fundamental could be wrong which may not be resolved by getting one of these models. Gun fit is as much about stance & mount as it is about stock dimensions (within reason) and one of the key things which you can see in Barry's pics is that he brings the gun up, into the face and is ready to shoot - all without changing his head position. If he were to mount up a high comb/high rib gun very little would change except the butt might be 1/4" lower in his shoulder. Other things like POI would likely stay about the same.

In a nutshell, I would suggest you approach this idea with caution as it may not be the solution.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:48 am 
Limited Edition

Well lets assume that the mount is the same with both guns. Some advantage is had by having the higher rib with better visibility. I am just looking for comments on the different brands of higher rib guns.

608-343-0713

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Zoli also now makes a high rib gun. The nice feature with the Zoli is the rib is removeable and the gun comes with two adjustable combs, one for the high rib and one for the flat rib.
So if you decide you didn't like the high rib you still have the same gun, just use a different comb and remove th ehigh rib!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

A high rib does not exist to raise your head. It exists to lower the barrel.

The difference is important.

WRT which one you like, hell, you already told us that. The best deal in a fancy high-rib gun comes from Guerini, but you said you didn't like them. The Beretta Trap guns are worth a look, also, without fancy ribs, just high ones. The world leader in funky high ribs has to be Perazzi, but you won't find their high-rib models on many store racks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:41 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the help.

608-343-0713

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:41 am 
Diamond Grade

Go with the Blaser. They are good guns at a realistic price point. My buddy has a high rib Blaser trap combo that I've shot sporting with and I really liked it. Eric

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:38 am 
Crown Grade

I shooting acquaintance is quite tall, very slim and has a long face and neck. He insists that standard guns don't fit him and that he always needs a higher comb. He is perhaps correct about that but his method of solving it is highly entertaining.

I honestly don't know how many guns he's gone through over the last couple of years because most get moved on pretty quickly. About a year ago he was shooting a normal K80 with a stick on comb raiser. He couldn't hit much with it. When I next saw him about 4 months ago he was using a CG Impact. He said he was having trouble setting it up which I took to mean the difficulty was with him not the gun. The CG wasn't around long, he couldn't hit much with it and nor could anyone else. Like the OP, the CG didn't thrill anyone.

As of a 6 weeks ago he was shooting a 32" Prevail with a stick on comb raiser. He wasn't hitting much with that gun either.

The point is that a high rib gun may suit someone's style very well and may lead to improved target acquisition and general visibility but they're not really intended to overcome issues with fit and/or mount.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:47 am 
Limited Edition

I think the main reason i like the tall rib is for visibility. I like the way my Beretta fits but it just seems that the visibility is a little better with the higher rib.

Another reason for me upgrading to a different gun is to get a slightly heavier gun. I am also looking for mechanical triggers to shoot sub gauge. i know I can get my Beretta modified for this and I just might but having shot a friend of mines Kolar I do like the heavier gun. But the Kolar is quite a large gun in the hands for me.

Also let face it it can be fun to get a new gun and isn't this sport supposed to be fun?

608-343-0713

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:57 am 
Crown Grade

rcmbronc wrote:
Also let face it it can be fun to get a new gun and isn't this sport supposed to be fun?

True that!