ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any other Mossberg Maverick hunter o/u owners here?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:55 am 
Utility Grade

Hi guys, first post here. I was just looking for some reviews from actual owners to see how this gun is fairing out there. Most of the stuff Ive been able to find seems to involve alot of contempt prior to investigation from guys who have never even shot the thing. I picked one up a week ago and put 3 25r boxes of #8 bird shot through it with great results and no incedent. It actually comes off as a pretty good little shooter.
My dislikes are few but there are a couple, it has an annoying safety feature where it wont fire if the guns pointed too far downward. Despite being a good storage compartment for a 5 round box of shells I dont really like that the stock is hollow as I bought this gun with home defense in mind and it just seems like if I ever need to turn it around and feed it to someone that it may break. I personally dont mind a heavier gun and would have prefered a solid one is all.

Hows everyone else getting on with theirs?

Post subject: Re: Any other Mossberg Maverick hunter o/u owners here?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

john l. wrote:
it has an annoying safety feature where it wont fire if the guns pointed too far downward.

That "safety feature" sounds like a serious and possibly dangerous defect to me!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:11 pm 
Utility Grade

drsfmd wrote:
john l. wrote:
it has an annoying safety feature where it wont fire if the guns pointed too far downward.

That "safety feature" sounds like a serious and possibly dangerous defect to me!

{hs# ....I dont believe it to be a defect but yeah Im not thrilled with that part. It takes a pretty steep angle for it to happen so its no deal breaker but I agree its not needed or wanted. I wonder if thats an easy thing to modify? Maybe someone who knows a little more about this can chime in. What Im talking about is brought up briefly in this thread. http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=80598

Seriously though its a pretty decent shotgun. Im not dressing it up Im sure it wouldnt go over well with the $$$$ gun crowd but for an average joe looking for something with no frills, it delivers.

Last edited by john l. on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:12 pm 
Crown Grade

That "feature" would also be incompatible with any defensive gun!

BTW people may not have experience with the Maverick Hunter, but that's because a lot of us do have experience with the original, prettier walnut/blue version. They are famous for having breakdowns. You may find a serious shortage of experienced shotgunners who have bought the Maverick Hunter, and it's because of their experience that they haven't bought one.

Let us know how yours fairs. It would be interesting; I can think of reasons why I'd want a semi-disposable O/U. Home defense would not be one of them, however, and I would strongly recommend against trusting your life or the lives of your loved ones to a Khan shotgun!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:40 pm 
Utility Grade

BarryD wrote:

BTW people may not have experience with the Maverick Hunter, but that's because a lot of us do have experience with the original, prettier walnut/blue version. They are famous for having breakdowns. You may find a serious shortage of experienced shotgunners who have bought the Maverick Hunter, and it's because of their experience that they haven't bought one.

Let us know how yours fairs. It would be interesting; I can think of reasons why I'd want a semi-disposable O/U. Home defense would not be one of them, however, and I would strongly recommend against trusting your life or the lives of your loved ones to a Khan shotgun!

Yeah this pretty much fills the threads that Ive found discussing this gun, but again Ive yet to see a bad review from someone whos actually put one through its paces. That combined with my experience with it makes me think there could be a fair amount of cork sniffing going here.

Guys I would have loved to drop a grand and walk out with a proven performer but I simply couldnt afford to. That said Im not regretting what I took home in any way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John, this is where you need to be asking.

viewforum.php

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:09 am 
Utility Grade

[*]
papaac wrote:
John, this is where you need to be asking.

viewforum.php

Says forum does not exist. Thats either really funny or the link is bad lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

john l. wrote:
BarryD wrote:

Yeah this pretty much fills the threads that Ive found discussing this gun, but again Ive yet to see a bad review from someone whos actually put one through its paces. That combined with my experience with it makes me think there could be a fair amount of cork sniffing going here.

Guys I would have loved to drop a grand and walk out with a proven performer but I simply couldnt afford to. That said Im not regretting what I took home in any way.

There is no cork sniffing going on here. These are people giving you their experiences with the Khan O/U you chose to purchase and are scratching their heads wondering why you would buy this gun over pumps that are 100x better in quality and reliability at the same price or less for HD.

Last edited by Jaspo01 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I didn't have to make the mistake of buying a Yugo to know what their quality was. I am not going to eat any chicken crap just to confirm it tastes like chicken crap, and I don't have to own a Maverick o/u to form an actuate opinion of them. But as an American I fully support your decision to throw your money away however you want... Put it all on #13 and let it ride till it's gone for all I care. However don't look for a government handout or run for public office after a record of poor decisions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:54 pm 
Crown Grade

The problem with a fool, is that he thinks he's not, and everyone else is.

Khan shotguns have a long, consistent, and very well-supported reputation for breaking down in short order. That includes all the O/Us Mossberg has imported over the past few years, including the "fixed" ones. I knew a number of people who bought them, and to the best of my knowledge, not a single one kept working for very long.

Will a model that retails for $315 be the one to buck that trend?

Ah, don't we all wish the world worked that way? :lol:

Good luck! And remember: you know everything, nobody else knows anything, and anyone who knows more than you must be faking it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Don't sweat it john l. Everyone has to start somewhere. Sometimes owning a bad gun can be a good learning experience. Stick around SGW for awhile and hopefully next time you'll know better.

You need to know that folks here are generally kind and love to help a new guy, even guys like BarryD. There are a lot of people here who have extensive knowledge of firearms. People who work in real gun stores, (not just the places that also sell tents) there are a lot of people in law enforcement as well as current and former military who depend on their firearms daily, there are professional clay shooters, ammo manufacturers, stock fitters, collectors, serious and novice hunters and people who just like to shoot for a little fun. And plenty of people who like to sling a load of hooey too.

(taking a moment to sniff bottle cap)

I am curious as to what attracted you to a 28" barreled O/U for use as an HD gun when the Maverick 88 security could be had for 1/2 the price and is a much better gun than the Kahn could ever be...

FWIW my first shotgun was a Mossberg Silver Reserve that I purchased before I found SGW. It was cheap and I was uninformed. It was/is a total pile of Turkish garbage. Thankfully I was able to return it for a full refund after it broke.

I would suggest you give the Maverick arms service center a call on Monday and ask them about that safety issue and see what they have to say.

Also, I think the bad link was supposed to be for the Mossberg Forum. Best of luck with your new gun

Just saying...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've seen these Maverick O/U H.D. guns. They are a true short barreled H.D. gun with rails.

Last edited by Jaspo01 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am happily ignorant of this model, but why would they call a short barreled gun with rails a Hunter?
I love it when someone buys an XYZ and then comes on here and basically asks for reinforcement on their decision, and then they get miffed or defensive when it don't happen. That's right up there with those who do come and ask advice first, and then go buy something else, and then proceed to tell us how great a deal it was.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:42 am 
Diamond Grade

Virginian wrote:
I am happily ignorant of this model, but why would they call a short barreled gun with rails a Hunter?

They Don't, the 18 1/2" barrel tactical :lol: version is called the HS-12

http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalo ... -mc-black/

The gun the OP stated purchasing in the title of this thread is the "Hunter" with a 28" barrel

http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalo ... 8in-black/

I get a kick out of the description "Break Over Shotgun" as in break it over a tree!

Just saying...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Look I didnt come here to get into dumb a$$ agruments with guys that talk long sh*t and give no respect to complete strangers safley from behind their PC. I never "accused" anyone here of cork sniffing I simply questioned it as I know in my little circle theres no shortage of elitests. The fact that Im getting a broad side like this when the thread specifially asks other owners for their take says volumes about what some of you come here to do.

Berry I came here with personal experience with a fire arm I spent a day shooting the hell out of. What did you come with besides a bad attitude and insults? Its super easy for you to validate your opinion just show me one bad review from an owner or maybe an incident of one breaking... just one. If you cant do this than spare me the BS and STFU this way you can use it on someone that might actually take you seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

Seriously John, relax {hs#

Your gun is made either by hatsan or Kahn right?

It's a lesser grade :shock: Mossberg Silver Reserve, which has proven time and time again to be a huge failure. Just do a search on the MSR. The Maverick hunter is basically the same gun, just a little harder to look at!

A lot of people here have been there and done that and are just trying to help others avoid wasting their money.

But it is your money afterall.
If you do any serious shooting with it, it won't be a quesion of if it will break, simply a matter of how soon.

Sorry if this was long winded, Look forward to your range reports with it.

Just saying...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Virginian wrote:
I love it when someone buys an XYZ and then comes on here and basically asks for reinforcement on their decision, and then they get miffed or defensive when it don't happen. That's right up there with those who do come and ask advice first, and then go buy something else, and then proceed to tell us how great a deal it was.

You are right. It was late and all I saw was home defense and I missed the Hunter part the O.P. used in the description. Still it's the same basic gun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:28 pm 
Utility Grade

DeGriz wrote:
Seriously John, relax {hs#

Your gun is made either by hatsan or Kahn right?

It's a lesser grade :shock: Mossberg Silver Reserve, which has proven time and time again to be a huge failure. Just do a search on the MSR. The Maverick hunter is basically the same gun, just a little harder to look at!

A lot of people here have been there and done that and are just trying to help others avoid wasting their money.

But it is your money afterall.
If you do any serious shooting with it, it won't be a quesion of if it will break, simply a matter of how soon.

Sorry if this was long winded, Look forward to your range reports with it.

{hs# Im okay with agruementative responses but flat out insults is totally different, especially when I did nothing to prompt them. IOW say whatever you want about the gun but getting personal over something like this is rediculous.
As far as your post goes. Its my understanding that this model has been out for a while now so it would seem reasonable to assume that reports would start to surface by now if it suffers the same flaws the model your comparing it to has wouldnt it? Sorry but Im not going to derive my opinion of this gun based on the track record of another even if they are similar makes.

EDIT
For what its worth Im one of those guys that doesnt mind being proven wrong so long as i leave knowing right ya know. I'll post any issue that comes up with this gun without hesitating and am planning on going ape sh*t at the range with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would venture to say that a lot of the people who have bought these are not super shotgun savvy, and as such maybe they have not posted their experiences. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Virginian wrote:
I would venture to say that a lot of the people who have bought these are not super shotgun savvy, and as such maybe they have not posted their experiences. Good luck.

Or they are embarassed to learn that those of us who were trying to save them from disappointment were right all along.