Shotgun Forum banner

Browning Superposed Lightning for Skeet and Sporting Clays?

12K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  VTHokiesDuckHunter 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My first post in these forums (long time lurker), so my apologies if this is in the wrong section.

My local gun shop has a Browning Superposed Lightning for sale; it seems to fit me well, and is an great condition. I've been shooting skeet for a few months now (Remington 11-87) and enjoy it tremendously.

They have the gun on sale for 1,000 out the door...my question is:

1) would this still be a "relevant" gun to shoot skeet with, or would I be better suited to save my money and get something like an XT in the future.

Thank you for your help and insight - I hope to be a contributing member to these forums in the future.

#2 ·
Does it have choke tubes added? If not, what constrictions does it have?

(Chances are, you won't find a fixed-choke gun that is a great choice for both Skeet and Clays. There's a reason that Clays shooters carry around boxes of expensive choke tubes.)

What barrel length?

What year was it made?

Why in the world would you even consider an XT (an American Trap gun) for Skeet and Clays? Are you unusually tall and large, and want extra heft?

#3 ·
Superposed made during certain years have issues with saltwood stocks. They are collectable in original condition, but not as usable as shooters, if original. Current trend is to longer barrels. And you will really benefit from removable choke tubes. I would keep shopping for a more current "B" gun, Beretta 6xx, or Citori. Mark

#4 ·
It would appear that my ignorance is shining through horrendously.

-it does have choke tubes added (improved CY, full choke, skeet)

-28" barrel length

-I believe it was made in 1965

-I have no idea why I would get an XT for what I've mentioned... :)

BarryD said:
Does it have choke tubes added? If not, what constrictions does it have?

(Chances are, you won't find a fixed-choke gun that is a great choice for both Skeet and Clays. There's a reason that Clays shooters carry around boxes of expensive choke tubes.)

What barrel length?

What year was it made?

Why in the world would you even consider an XT (an American Trap gun) for Skeet and Clays? Are you unusually tall and large, and want extra heft?

#8 ·
For clays--skeet or sporting--30 or 32 inch barrels are going to be the norm. Take your time , look around.

Don't be in too big a hurry. I prefer Beretta O/U's to Brownings....like their fit and dynamics. But -- you may like the Brownings.

I shot an Onyx, went to a 682 and then on to a Perazzi. Enjoy your own journey.

#9 ·
All the Beretta 6xx actions are basically the same. As the price goes up, you get more and better engraving, better wood, and a few features, like a middle bead and a manual safety. Current fashion is for longer barrels, so a 28" gun is less expensive. Shopping is more than half the fun. Hold, and hopefull try shooting lots of different guns, and one will speak to you. Mark

#10 ·
28in and screw in chokes? Go for it! For skeet its a better choice imo than a newer citori if youre shooting light target loads. If that gun is in good shape youll have a good all around o/u.
The big question is do you want a classic gun, or a newer gun?
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#11 ·
"As the price goes up, you get more and better engraving, better wood, and a few features, like a middle bead and a manual safety."

That's really not the whole picture!

The receiver engineering on 680-series guns is shared, but at different price points, you will find different balance and feel. The same goes for similarly-priced "field" vs. "sporting" versions. The barrel sets of different models can be quite different, and stock heft and geometry as well. You also get things like palm swell. This is true of both Browning and Beretta. Beretta's Sporting models have wider ribs, in addition to mid beads. I believe Browning's do, also, though I'm not absolutely certain. A slightly fuller stock on Sporting models is better suited for clay shooting where everything slows down, whereas the slimmer field stocks work better for snap shooting in the field.

Like sera said, 30" minimum, and I like a lively 32" gun even better (I'm far from alone).

There's nothing wrong with a Whitewing, but it's a lightweight field gun. Not only will the no-center-rib 28" barrels be awfully "whippy", but after 100 shots, you will likely wish you'd held out for a somewhat heftier (but not too sluggish) Clays gun. :) Now if you want a bird gun, grab that Whitewing!

You can get a brand new Silver Pigeon I Sporting in 30" or 32" for a hair under $2K, in a hard takedown case with a full set of flush choke tubes included.

#12 ·
sera said:
For clays--skeet or sporting--30 or 32 inch barrels are going to be the norm. Take your time , look around.

Don't be in too big a hurry. I prefer Beretta O/U's to Brownings....like their fit and dynamics. But -- you may like the Brownings.

I shot an Onyx, went to a 682 and then on to a Perazzi. Enjoy your own journey.
+1

#15 ·
I shoot a '56 Superposed for skeet with 26" barrels and a '65 Broadway for a backup trap gun. I really enjoy shooting both of them. It gets a lot of looks at our local club. In my opinion they are hard to beat. Just make sure of the year model. The guns made '66 and after have salt wood which is very corrosive and not very desirable at all. Browning has a chart on their website on how to identify the year of production from the serial number. The tubes will make it less collectiable, but more shootable. A grand for it, of its in good shape with no pitting is a good price.

#16 ·
I would not recommend this gun for shooting skeet,
because of the weight. If recoil does not bother you
it might be okay, but most people shooting skeet want
less recoil than this gun gives. You could add weight to
it and fuss around with it generally but it will be less
trouble to get an auto if you want light weight or go heavier
if you want to use a double.

#17 ·
I actually agree with my buddy BarryD... :roll: Take a close look at a new 12g/30" Silver Pigeon I sporter. You can get one from Joel Etchen for $1900, cased, including five choke tubes. A Best Buy in target shotguns...

#18 ·
There are literally thousands of guns like you are looking at being used to shoot skeet and clays at various clubs around the country. It wasn't to many years ago that a 28" barrel was the norm for skeet and clays. If the gun is in good condition and seems to fit you by all means go for it. It probably won't be your last o/u but its a great gun to start with. The price is ok and you won't lose money on this gun should you want to get something else in the future.

#19 ·
I started skeet 25 years ago with an Ithaca Deerslayer and learned a lot that first year. Then a Browning Citori 12 gauge super light with, I think, 26" bbls. Big mistake because of the light weight and no recoil pad beat me up pretty badly. I moved to a Citori high rib skeet, then found a Kolar tube set with an Americase and tools for $800 and knew a smith who fitted the tubes for $100,yes a super deal even back then about 18 years ago and never looked back until too many years of 1-1/8 oz loads taught my brain to flinch even on 410 events. The tricks are to find something you like and can afford in an O/U so you can tube it some day, make sure it fits you, and shoot light loads. 1 oz 12's work great and there's no reason the 7/8 oz loads wom't work as well. If you look at most multi gauge skeet averages many if not most shooters score better with their 20's than with their 12's. That doesn't mean to go with a light 20. Find a heavier, longer barrelled 12 and learn the games you want to play. Autos and pumps will work, it's just that it's a pain to pick up your hulls because once you get the bug, the next bug is reloading.

#21 ·
I would definitely go with a Beretta Silver Pigeon I, or a Browning 725. The Browning 725 Field, with 28" barrels, (which is the shortest barrel length you should pick for modern skeet), makes a good dual field/skeet gun. For more serious skeet shooting, I'd cl with a Sporting model with 30" or 32" barrels.

The Sporting Clays club I shot at yesterday had a georgeous SPI in 20 gauge with 30" barrels for $1950 ($1850 member price).

I don't know if you've tried the 20 gauge, but I love them for skeet, and that SPI/30" 20 gauge is a gum I highly recommend.

A guy that shoots in my skeet league just bought 2 old Superposed guns with 26" barrels for him and his sons. Why, I don't know. They own a manufacturing company and seem to be well off. They didn't ask my opinion before buying them, so all I said was "nice guns". And tbey are. But not the beat choice by far. I think they took some advice from one of the old "regulars" that is slightly eccentric.

Don't get me wrong, the Suprrposed is a great gun and would be nice to have. But if you can afford $1900, there are a lot better choices for the modern game if pre-mounted skeet and of course, Sporting Clays which you will want to shoot a lot once you try it!

#23 ·
If you get seriously hooked on shooting skeet and sporting clays, the price of the gun becomes a minor expense. If you can't afford to play the game, don't try to scrimp by trying to save money on your gun purchase. Mark

#24 ·
VTHokiesDuckHunter said:
I would definitely go with a Beretta Silver Pigeon I, or a Browning 725. The Browning 725 Field, with 28" barrels, (which is the shortest barrel length you should pick for modern skeet), makes a good dual field/skeet gun. For more serious skeet shooting, I'd cl with a Sporting model with 30" or 32" barrels.

The Sporting Clays club I shot at yesterday had a georgeous SPI in 20 gauge with 30" barrels for $1950 ($1850 member price).

I don't know if you've tried the 20 gauge, but I love them for skeet, and that SPI/30" 20 gauge is a gum I highly recommend.

A guy that shoots in my skeet league just bought 2 old Superposed guns with 26" barrels for him and his sons. Why, I don't know. They own a manufacturing company and seem to be well off. They didn't ask my opinion before buying them, so all I said was "nice guns". And tbey are. But not the beat choice by far. I think they took some advice from one of the old "regulars" that is slightly eccentric.

Don't get me wrong, the Suprrposed is a great gun and would be nice to have. But if you can afford $1900, there are a lot better choices for the modern game if pre-mounted skeet and of course, Sporting Clays which you will want to shoot a lot once you try it!
Just because the man ownes a manufacturing company he seems well off? Perhaps he seems well off because when he splurges on a skeet gun he limits himself to $1000 instead of $1900.

#25 ·
oregunner said:
If you get seriously hooked on shooting skeet and sporting clays, the price of the gun becomes a minor expense. If you can't afford to play the game, don't try to scrimp by trying to save money on your gun purchase. Mark
Perhaps if he does not scrimp on the skeetgun he never gets a chance to become serious about skeet.

Perhaps he just wants to shoot skeet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.