It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transition gun for SC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Looking for a little advice. I have a 13yo son shooting a Maxus for Sporting Clays. He(we) wants to transition over to an O/U and we(I) are torn between what to look for.

I would like to stay under/around $2500 and am leaning between Beretta and Browning. Are the Sporting models the way we should go and what is wrong with the Cynergy? Looking at the 686, 725, and Cynergy.........Pros/Cons?

He is just beginning to shoot competitively, but I don't want to look back and wish that we had purchased a higher quality gun in a year or two.

Post subject: Re: Transition gun for SC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

At 13 years of age the boy will grow quickly, my son started shooting at 12 and outgrew a shotgun stock about every two years untill he was fully grown. I had a gun with three stocks one origional and two cut down that I bought from a fellow who had been down the same road with his boy. He got a nice gun when he was fully grown then started chasing girls so be sure and buy him a nice gun you like yourself, that's what I did. :)

TM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:38 pm 
Utility Grade

That is precisely why I stuck the words "we" and "I" in there. I am somewhat of a gun fanatic and do not need much of an excuse to add to the collection.

I know this is a sickness that is rare on this forum........HA!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

Browning and Beretta are both great guns but handle totally different. Berettas are lighter which makes them quicker while a Browning is heavy and bulky. Try them both because one will feel night and day better to you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:47 am 
Crown Grade

I would wait until your son stops crowning before I buy another gun.
As your son grows not only in hight but in weight. You will have a fit problem with a O/U.
With the auto you are shooting now you have shim in the stock and can do some types of adjustments and you can always add to the LOP.
This way you will have a better base when you go to get a O/U for fit. I don't think you when him to go back words in his shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:03 am 
Presentation Grade

A gun that fits him now might not in the coming years. If you are set on getting him one now see how the Browning 725 Sporting feels or the Beretta Silver Pigeon and go with the one that fits him best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:06 pm 
Limited Edition

I'd get something in the Beretta 682/686/687 series. I own and shoot them, I've given them to family, and I recommend them to friends and acquaintances. I wouldn't wait for him to grow in or out of something; later in life his fondest memories won't be of the time you made him wait a year or two for a growth spurt.

The same guys who would die before 'losing' hundreds on a gun don't give a second thought to the loss of thousands (or tens of thousands) on the cars they buy. When these days with your son are gone you won't get them back.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:18 am 
Presentation Grade

For a 13 years old, I will got for a 12ga ,28" 686 or a Citori 725 field, don't get the old Citori, in 12ga they are too heavy for him, and use a light load.
I have a shoulder problem and I use KENT 24gr for all my clay shooting, it's like shooting a light load in a 20ga, very light recoil .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

13 years old is a pretty loose description. I have seen 13 year olds that are already almost full grown and others that have yet to hit their growth spurt. His size and weight will determine how much gun he can handle and how close he is to hitting full size. Some 13 year olds are ready for an adult sized gun. If you are a "gun fanatic" and have a collection. Let him try shooting some of yours. Mark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:03 pm 
Crown Grade

"I would wait until your son stops crowning before I buy another gun."

I'm sure that happened 13 years ago.

That said, I agree that you should wait until he quits growing to buy a gun that isn't adjustable. The Maxus has a huge advantage over an O/U: it's adjustable. I'd be reluctant to replace it just as the boy is going through puberty and a possible growth spurt, and I say that as someone who prefers O/Us.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

I agree with BarryD. Keep him in a highly adjustable auto until he stops growing otherwise you'll be spending a lot on stock adjustment technology to keep him going as he grows.

And I'm also an O/U shooter...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:32 pm 
Limited Edition

I would look at trying to find a Precision fit adjustable stock or something similar .
I would get one for the Beretta 680 series of actions .
Buy a cheap Silver Pigeon and get someone who knows how to fit him to it .
Young people usually don't have the love of fine wood like us older guys , and a steel and plastic stock is often "cooler" to them .
If he carries on or wants something a little better go up through the grades of 680 guns , because the stock will fit all models .
If it all gets to hard or girls and cars take his attention, then you haven't spent much and what you have is very easy to sell .

Ken