It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Girsan inertia driven shotguns?
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Since we have dragged this thread out of the cul-de-sac it diverted to, I'll offer my thoughts on the gun in question.

I am not a basher of Turkish shotguns. I've owned several and still do. They have served me well.

That said, semi-autos have not been their forte. Mark DeHaan dropped his entire line of Huglu semi-autos. CZ-USA dropped their line of Huglu semi-autos for a number of years before reintroducing them. A number of other Turkish semi-autos have made a brief splash in the US and then been dropped by the importer.

The CZ 712 seems to be reasonably reliable in it's new incarnation and after some new model problems, the CZ 912 also seems to be reasonably reliable.

So while I am "open-minded" about Turkish guns in general, a "new to the US" Turkish semi auto priced in the same ballpark as a Mossberg 930, CZ 712 or CZ 912 would not draw my money....especially not one from a virtually unknown manufacturer with warranty support that is of unknown reliability.

My vote as a supporter of Turkish shotguns?......Pass on this one for a couple of years unless you have the money to be a guinea pig.

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:00 pm 
Crown Grade

2fewdaysafield wrote:
SS wrote:
Go beyond 50 years and the picture is radically different. Just say'n..... and 50 years ain't all that long.

In this modern world, 50 years IS a long time. And if you want to be technical about it and say that Turkey's friendship with the West started when they declared war on Germany in '45, then Turkey's friendship with the West goes back 68 years. If you want to date Turkey's friendship with the West to when they sign treaties of mutual assistance with Britain and France then their friendship with the West goes back to '39.....74 years. Though of course from '39 to '45 Turkey's only real interest was in staying out of WWII

It still amazes me that after the way JFK betrayed Turkey that they remained our ally.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with a new semi-auto from Turkey. I was just disappointed to see someone suggesting that because Turkey is predominently Muslim that that somehow makes them an enemy of the West.

You need to do some homework beyond what you read in Huglu brochures. Long suspected of being suppliers of Hamas, Turk links to that Troglodyte mess became clear over two years ago. Turks side with whomever are in their political interest in their backyard as well as financial interests from abroad. In WWI they sided with Germany due to financial backing from Uncle Wilhelm. My Grandfather fought against them back then. Their assumed friendship of the West is a purchased allegiance, pure and simple after being stomped by the Western powers in WWI. They hedge their bets locally and should not be trusted. Have you been to Turkey and witnessed the changes over the past 20 years? Lots of bearded men in skull caps.... lots of anti Western dribble. Yes, enemies of the West would be a good bet.

Buy what you want, but be aware of where the money may be going.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:05 pm 
Field Grade

@SS: No, Sir. This threads done with that.

SEMPER FI!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have to agree with 2few about letting someone else be the guinea pig on buying a
Girsan.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:02 am 
Crown Grade

Skeet Commander wrote:
@SS: No, Sir. This threads done with that.

LIV?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

2fewdaysafield wrote:
That they are! Lacking tone, inflection and facial expression they are easy to misinterpret.

With a few posters, there is no need for those characteristics in order to interpret exactly what they mean. Just sayin...........

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

i would'nt be afraid of trying one, heck remington burnt me 3 times. i do kinda like the wood model with the engraved side plate, hey at least they offer you some wood and blueing. remington wont offer you that in the versamax!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Someone had to be the guinea pig and so I guess it's me. The way I looked at it was Bud's is guaranteeing 100% full refund, exchange or repair. Anyway, purchased it last night and hopefully will receive it next week. If I get it next weekend I will post reviews, pictures and if it impresses will post video. I know it is a risk but I trust Bud's to back their guarantee and will put it to the test.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Excellent! Look forward to hearing what you think! Thanks for "taking the plunge"!

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

heyman wrote:
Someone had to be the guinea pig and so I guess it's me. The way I looked at it was Bud's is guaranteeing 100% full refund, exchange or repair. Anyway, purchased it last night and hopefully will receive it next week. If I get it next weekend I will post reviews, pictures and if it impresses will post video. I know it is a risk but I trust Bud's to back their guarantee and will put it to the test.

I'll watch your results with interest. I'm a fan of quality Turkish guns, and I do like the engraved model Girsan has at Bud's.

Let us know the results, good and bad!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Quality....Turkish guns....Girsan....Buds

Mama Mia! A quadruple oxymoron!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Had to slip that in didn't you SS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Y'know, I wish ANY BRAND of gun was as reliable as you!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Sounds like you need a K Gun.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Hey, what happened to that last Ottoman Empire wonder gun Buds was pushing? Linberta? Something like that. Took lots of deposits from the LIS (low information shotgunners) and folks are still waiting. This is the one that was supposed to be so great because it came with a free spare firing pin and some other doo-dad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Couldn't tell you SS. Never even heard about it. But I will say this.....while I like Turkish-made shotguns, I have a firm rule.....any time a new model comes out I let a few other guys be the guinea pig.

Turkey makes some guns that are a great buy for the money. They have also made plenty of dogs. As have most shotgun manufacturers.

A brand new model from a previously unheard-of Turkish shotgun company with no US support other than Buds is not a gun that would earn my limited folding green. But I am grateful to the people that will. Helps me learn.

Just out of curiosity SS.....Are you of Armenian descent? I have a good friend over in Tysons Corner that hates "all things Turkish" just about as much as you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:51 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm of Danish & English decent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks.....I was just curious. If my buddy knew that I bought Turkish products I'd get a SEVERE lecture the next time we got together. I was just wondering if your dislike of all Turk-made shotguns stemmed from a 100 year old ethnic issue.

No offense intended and hope you didn't take any.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Unfortunately, gonna have to disappoint. While I was willing to make the plunge. This morning the Beretta A300 went on sale and with a 10% discount on top of that at Dick's this morning my order with Bud's was a cash sale waiting the 5 days for the EFT decided to cancel my order. It ended up being cheaper without having to pay the FFL for a gun I know I will be happy with.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:39 pm 
Utility Grade

I think the bottom line came down to I'm particular about wanting to hold a gun whether it's a handgun, rifle or shotgun in my own hands before purchasing. Living here in Colorado the supply was limited as there were several models I could never get my hands on, which is why I was willing to make the plunge. I actually got the last Beretta this morning otherwise I was still good with my purchase. Anyway would've love to have put my hands on the gun before I purchased just wasn't possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:55 pm 
Crown Grade

2fewdaysafield wrote:
Thanks.....I was just curious. If my buddy knew that I bought Turkish products I'd get a SEVERE lecture the next time we got together. I was just wondering if your dislike of all Turk-made shotguns stemmed from a 100 year old ethnic issue.

No offense intended and hope you didn't take any.

No offense taken whatsoever.