It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 692 gun: anyone shoot one extensively?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I handled a 30" Beretta 692 today, one with an adjustable comb and another without the adjustable comb. I'm use to long barreled sporting guns, both of my sporting guns (12 and 20 gauge) have fixed choke 33" barrels but man, I'd tell ya, those 692 guns felt pretty good for a 30" gun. I would assume a 32" would feel great...or it could just be new gun syndrome I was feeling today. :lol: The wood was really nice on both models I handled.

Anyway, has anyone shot one of the new 692 guns for a good amount of time? If so, what is your impressions? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Beretta 692 gun: anyone shoot one extensively?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Has anyone else even seen one?

I'd love to try one. I'd want a 32".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I shot a 682 for a long time, but not really seeing the positives on the 692 since they will still have the same problems as the 682.

1. Due to the trigger design, you are always going to have a second trigger heaver than the first trigger. This is due to the inertia block lever having pull down both forward sears on the second trigger pull.

2. It has inertia triggers. So you have to do a conversion on them for sub gauge tube uses, leaving you in the same boat as before, with the inertia lever spring at some point going weak/bending, leaving you without a second trigger. Worst yet, since the block has to work with 410, when full 12 gauge loads are used in the gun, the inertia block lever/pin are getting pounded since the spring tension is so light, leading to faster wear at the pivot point.

3. The Opitma barrels was a step backwards for American skeet and trap shooters, since it reduced over all barrel weight. The 692 now has to have a wider receiver since the forcing cones are longer, but again, it a barrel weight thing for American shooters that suffers again. Don't get me wrong, back boring, and longer chokes do work and a good thing, but over all weight is better, since you need to get the gun on target to begin with, before down range impact is going to work.

So for American shooters, get the gun back up to weight, instead of reducing the barrel weight and forcing the shooters to have to use longer barrel to gain the weight back. When this is done, then B can dump the plastic adjustable hardware in the butt stock, and go back to stronger aluminum/steel parts again (balance thing that forced them to use cheaper parts in the butt stock, and down the rabbit hole of having to come up with way to reduce felt recoil due to the reduced weight as well).

True factory Mech triggers without a second trigger weight stack.

Make the American versions for American shooting sports, hence in trap, regulate the barrel for American doubles, instead of the barrels regulated for both same POI that is used in bunker trap instead. For American skeet, put the weight back on the gun, instead of reducing the weight so guys that should be in a 30" barrel, can now swing a 32" barrel like the big boys instead.

Simply put, the B guns are great for the international sports that where designed for, but on this side of the pond, this is where they start to fall short. You can get away with them in sporting clays someone what (still a bit to whippy), but for American skeet and trap, whole different ball game that they are not geared towards.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:51 am 
Crown Grade

For those of us who figure we'll have plenty of time to shoot American Trap when we're dead, the 682 has served pretty well for a long time. Some of us even figure that the second pull is supposed to be slightly heavier, much like on a DT gun, and for similar reasons. It depends on what you're shooting at; there's no standard one-two cadence in Sporting Clays.

The few SV10 Prevails I've actually seen seemed to be great guns, with very happy owners. Again, I'm talking about Sporting Clays. Ditto for the DT11.

From that, I'd surmise that the 692, which is essentially the SV with 682 features and some more stuff added, would be a good gun. But I don't think anyone in the States has shot a 692 extensively yet, since it has only been weeks, not years, since they became available. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:16 pm 
Crown Grade

I handled the new gun at Shyda's Sporting Goods, Lebanon, PA. It's real nice and priced around $3900 at the shop. But, not that much nicer than the SV-10...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 am 
Presentation Grade

BarryD!!!! You just made me smile!! When I was reading the remarks about trap I thought to myself "They still shoot trap??"

The 692 is 90% SV10 with additional fluff. I'm sure it's a great gun but from what I've read I wouldn't trade my Prevail III for one. The 682 Gold Sporting is one of the best ever made as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:36 am 
Crown Grade

An fellow I know has been shooting his 30" 692 for a few weeks. He's far from young and hasn't been well, so the transition from an ASE Gold hasn't been easy and it shows in his scores. All the same he's really chuffed with it and although I haven't had a chance to shoot it, we have examined it closely alongside my 32" Prevail. As we all now know, the 692 is a derivative of the SV10 which itself is descended from the 68X series. Consequently the dynamics and feel of the 692 are exactly like the Prevail and not dramatically different from the Gold E.

692s are finished and presented to a very high standard though and IMO an improvement over the SV10. Whether that level of quality continues we'll have to wait and see.

I'm a bit mystified by Dano's post though; certainly the first time I've heard Optimas described as a backward step. Also the receiver isn't wider because of the forcing cones. It's exactly the same as the SV10 which only has miserable 5" cones. :wink:

I like the 692 very much but not enough to replace my Prevail - well not yet anyway.

Next year perhaps...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Trickster wrote:
An fellow I know has been shooting his 30" 692 for a few weeks. He's far from young and hasn't been well, so the transition from an ASE Gold hasn't been easy and it shows in his scores. All the same he's really chuffed with it and although I haven't had a chance to shoot it, we have examined it closely alongside my 32" Prevail. As we all now know, the 692 is a derivative of the SV10 which itself is descended from the 68X series. Consequently the dynamics and feel of the 692 are exactly like the Prevail and not dramatically different from the Gold E.

692s are finished and presented to a very high standard though and IMO an improvement over the SV10. Whether that level of quality continues we'll have to wait and see.

I'm a bit mystified by Dano's post though; certainly the first time I've heard Optimas described as a backward step. Also the receiver isn't wider because of the forcing cones. It's exactly the same as the SV10 which only has miserable 5" cones. :wink:

I like the 692 very much but not enough to replace my Prevail - well not yet anyway.

Next year perhaps...

What made your friend go from the ASE?

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:32 am 
Tournament Grade

BarryD wrote:
Has anyone else even seen one?

I'd love to try one. I'd want a 32".

I've seen and handled two....the first @ Shyda's (Lebanon, Pa) and the second one @ Beikirchs (E Rochester, NY). While both handled and felt great I was somewhat shocked at the poor fit and finish of the gun @ Beikirchs, very inconsistent fit of the stock to receiver. Should never have gotten past QC, IMO.

I've yet to shoot one, my gut tells me it would be nice !

Dave