It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fabarm Elos Deluxe -Best O/U of 2013?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

So Field and Stream named the gun best O/U of 2013. Doesn't seem to be much info on SGW about the gun. What do people think? I'm not looking for an O/U right now just curious.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/ ... los-deluxe

Post subject: Re: Fabarm Elos Deluxe -Best O/U of 2013?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If their design and quality are on par with the Velocity, you're in for a treat.

I have handled a Dom gun, but not shot it.

"There is not a target on this course that I cannot hit, and no target that I cannot miss."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Field and Stream?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WRT the gun, it's another warmed over Brescia underlug action. They say it balances well at the Skeet field? Damning with faint praise, there.

It might be as good as its many brethren, or better. It's the execution that matters, when you're buying a variant of a generic design, and the execution could be superb. But I wouldn't buy a $3 bungee cord based on something I read in Field and Stream. :P

What do YOU think? You wouldn't buy a shotgun you've never handled, would you? I would be reluctant to do that even based on Bruce Buck's assessment, though I have done that once (with a lot of corroborating stories from others here, chief among them oneounceload). But Field & Stream? Not a chance in hell. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
What do YOU think? You wouldn't buy a shotgun you've never handled, would you? I would be reluctant to do that even based on Bruce Buck's assessment, though I have done that once (with a lot of corroborating stories from others here, chief among them oneounceload).

And that S&W is a real gem, ain't it???????. :wink: :mrgreen:

I'll agree about F&S - like most other gun mags and writers, they never met an advertiser they didn't like. One thing I'll give Bruce - and I know him personally - he may "coach" a negative review a little, but you can always read between his lines to see what he really thinks - especially if he is mentioning pigs, snow shovels, and schnabel forearm........................ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have not seen one so do not have enough information to draw any conclusions at his point. Just found it odd that there were no reviews on here about the gun. Don't have Bruce Buck's opinion, but Mike Yardley weighed in on the base model.

http://www.positiveshooting.com/FabarmElos.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Not to change the subject at hand..........but be weary of what Outdoor Life says too:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... 1001359030

Blaser F3 Super Trap 34" Unsingle
Beretta DT11 30" Skeet
Beretta SP 1 30" Sport
Browning Ultra XS Sport 30"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:23 am 
Diamond Grade

"GUN TESTS"......no advertising...solid reviews. If they test a gun , they have actually PAID for it. Tests are pretty well done.......Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Has Gun Tests been reviewing any shotguns of interest?

I quit paying for my subscription when every issue was comparing yet another set of plastic-frame pistols (got mine already), "tactical" rifles (got them too), and if any shotguns, they were reviewing something like used pumps in which I have no interest whatever, either. It's been a while, now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Field & Stream magazine, LOLOLOL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Patently Obvious wrote:
So Field and Stream named the gun best O/U of 2013. Doesn't seem to be much info on SGW about the gun. What do people think? I'm not looking for an O/U right now just curious.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/ ... los-deluxe

The very brief description simply refers to the gun as a "smallbore". There is no gauge given, nor barrel length, or weight, nor much of anything. MSRP of $2,895 seems to be about double the amount that might interest me. With no track record that I know of, I probably wouldn't consider buying one even if it were half that price.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Looks like another manifestation of a current mini-fad. Bulk up a generic receiver with extra steel, round it off, and call it a "round action."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

Barry, yeah , you're right about their seeming to favor the "tactical" side. Really have had all the 9mm junk out there. They do the occasional shotgun but they don't do as many as they should. I have asked them several times to do some reviews an comparisons of something like the SX1 vs the older Rem.1100. See if they are as good as some think they are (you know where I stand). They need to do more but I guess they think their audience doesn't want or need it if it doesn't have "rails, lasers, and bayonet lugs". The reviews they do are definitely not affected by the mfg's though.....Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:12 pm 
Crown Grade

SXer wrote:
Barry, yeah , you're right about their seeming to favor the "tactical" side. Really have had all the 9mm junk out there. They do the occasional shotgun but they don't do as many as they should. I have asked them several times to do some reviews an comparisons of something like the SX1 vs the older Rem.1100. See if they are as good as some think they are (you know where I stand). They need to do more but I guess they think their audience doesn't want or need it if it doesn't have "rails, lasers, and bayonet lugs". The reviews they do are definitely not affected by the mfg's though.....Jack

They are responding to what is now the overwhelming majority of the firearms market.

There is absolutely NO WAY they are going to put any effort into reviewing a shotgun that has been out of production for decades and that most of their readership either forgot about or never even heard of in the first place and doesn't give a damn about. Yeah, I'm talking about the "SX-1 vs older 1100".

I know it sounds harsh, but the sporting shotgun side of things is no longer the single largest segment of the firearm market. The overall consciousness of the average firearm buyer began changing in 1994 from "fur, feather, & clay" to "what the Second Amendment is really about" and the change went into hyperdrive in 2004 when the AWB went away. Too bad some still cling to the old paradigm and think that the "American sportsman" drives the market............

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
"what the Second Amendment is really about" and the change went into hyperdrive in 2004 when the AWB went away. Too bad some still cling to the old paradigm and think that the "American sportsman" drives the market............

Yep, because that is the crowd that is more concerned about open carry in a city park than what the 2A is really a bout - most have NO idea. After all, they were educated in government schools by leftovers form LBJ's Great Society experiment.

More shotgun ammo is fired on the opening day of dove season than for ANY other use in this country - whether that means other hunting, zombies, clays, 3 gun or whatever

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Elos, which is unknown, costs as much as a Browning or Beretta. I am not sure why anyone would buy the Elos, despite the praise from the high priests of the shotgun sports at Field and Stream.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:37 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Yep, because that is the crowd that is more concerned about open carry in a city park than what the 2A is really a bout - most have NO idea.

A right not exercised is a right lost. For your information, open carry demonstrations in city parks were extremely effective in gaining supreme court recognition that open carry is a constitutional right in my state, as well as enacting statewide firearm regulation pre-emption.

The people who risk false arrest to exercise unpopular rights have my respect. The people who make fun of them or treat them as red-headed stepchildren do not.

oneounceload wrote:
More shotgun ammo is fired on the opening day of dove season than for ANY other use in this country - whether that means other hunting, zombies, clays, 3 gun or whatever

It's a one day blip on the radar. And one that does nothing to change the fact that the drivers in the firearm marketplace have changed dramatically and possibly forever.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:50 am 
Crown Grade

edw8ri wrote:
The Elos, which is unknown, costs as much as a Browning or Beretta. I am not sure why anyone would buy the Elos, despite the praise from the high priests of the shotgun sports at Field and Stream.

Fabarm shotguns are unknown only to those who do not bother doing a bit of basic internet research.

Their reputation in Europe is solid and needs no defense. Their only sin has been not having an effective import/sales/marketing machine here in the US. And that has been fixed now that Ceasar Guerini has a majority ownership stake in it.

I used to own a Fabarm Black Lion (back when they were imported by Heckler & Koch) and stupidly sold it. I would not make that mistake again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know only one person (personally) who has (or HAD) a Fabarm O/U. This was about 5 years ago. I think that he had several problems with it so he sold or traded it for a Beretta O/U.

The Fabarm may be a better gun than we give them credit for, but for my money, I'm not going to pay the same amount for a Fabarm that I would a similar Browning or Beretta. While there is something to be said for individualism, there is also something to be said for having a gun that is fairly common and that has support from parts suppliers, gunsmiths, and aftermarket vendors. If you have a B gun and need something for it, you'll likely have several places to obtain it. With a Fabarm, I'm not so sure just how readily available that support is in this country.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
If you have a B gun and need something for it, you'll likely have several places to obtain it. With a Fabarm, I'm not so sure just how readily available that support is in this country.

About as readily available as it is for Ceasar Guerini, it seems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Today.

WRT the tactical stuff being a big-buck market, that's true. I don't blame Gun Tests for responding to their market.

I think it's a great thing that people woke up to the 2nd Amendment. It's about time. That doesn't make me interested in paying for endless Kel-Tec vs. Ruger plastic carry gun comparisons. :)