It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New BPS trap
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:45 am 
Limited Edition

Honestly after spending the better part of a few hours breaking the thing down, cleaning it than attempting to get it back together makes me wish I would of saved up for the rem 870 classic trap. I have it all the way back to putting the stupid trigger, tried the knife trick still no luck. Bringing it to the gun smith to have them do it, since I dont want to get any more mad than I am already and gouge the wood by accident. Sorry about the rant its 2 am and I cant fume to anyone else :evil: But man this is a overtly complicated design

Post subject: Re: New BPS trap
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It is actually a very good design and well executed build of gun in my opinion. I just don't like totally bottom loading. Now you know why Browning does not recommend taking it completely apart.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Try You Tube, there is videos on BPS disassembly and reassembly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yeah I feel for you. I almost pulled the trigger on buying a used BPS Trap. I had the deal almost wrapped up but heard the horror stories about takedown. I liked all the aftermarket stuff available for the Wingmaster and side loading as well. I pulled out of the BPS deal when a pristine 870TB showed up in my price range. Don't give up though because the BPS is a really good gun and eventually you will master it and become the source for advice on those problems you are having.

Last edited by Jaspo01 on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:56 pm 
Crown Grade

2 a.m. assembly on a new system seldom goes well.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Jager1 wrote:

Tis very, very true!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Jager1 wrote:

I started at 8 pm to be fair :) Granted I took time off to eat. And to watch that You Tube video over and over again.

Range report
Okay today I took it with me to the range. We have a gun guru who knows every gun and how it works. And with about 20 minutes of work he managed to get the trigger to go in. So I was able to shoot the gun today. And I was pretty happy with it. The action is super smooth. I am used to an 870 express. The bottom feeding on the first game was a little off at first I took the Rastoff method and tweaked it a bit. And starting the second game it wasnt an issue after another week or so I wont even think about it. Nice heavy gun. I still need to pattern it. Since I am going from a field to a trap model, so I think I am over shooting targets.

Pros
Good price, for a started trap gun I think the price is hard to beat if you want to buy new only.
Heavy, I didnt feel the recoil as much and it swung better
Shell ejection
The bottom ejection is really nice,I am able to collect all of my hulls from the 870 with out dropping them. But every now and than one would hang up and than I would have to dig it out. This they just fell out into my palm, let gravity do the work.
Nice looking gun
the gun is a good looking gun, my wife doesnt like guns at all but mentioned how it was a pretty gun.

Cons
Reassembly, good lord I will never take this gun apart outside what is in the manual. A gun smith is opening a new store front. And he is offering a flat yearly fee to clean a few guns each month. I think I will take him up on it.

In a soft case it will not fit in the trunk of a nissan versa. So just a heads up versa drivers either get a break down case, or have ride across the back seat.

Middle of the road

The main cons I heard about this gun was the take down than the loading. At first it was an issue. But with some practice I dont think it will be an issue. Winter may be a little tougher, with cold fingers. But I think it will work.

So in closing I was a little hasty in my opening post. But being two AM I wasnt able to go by my old stress releving stand by of cursing a blue strak at the top of the my longs. So a pissy post a message board helps with that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:37 am 
Crown Grade

Brownells sell a simple spring tool with pads to hold the shell stops in place when you insert the trigger assy.. This tool makes the assemble simple.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:08 am 
Utility Grade

I use the reassembly tool from Brownells. It's a 90 degree spring that retains the loose parts (shell stops?) in the receiver while you reinsert the trigger group. Really helps.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have one also and I think its a well built shotgun. It don't find the bottom loading an issue. I was also impressed by the fact that the barrel is constructed to the same specs as the BT 99