It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fausti Traditions O/U
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:18 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

According to Fausti, the "Fausti by Traditions" stackbarrels are the lowest quality O/Us they have ever made.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've had a .410 O/U for about 5 or 6 years now , and while I haven't shot the snot out of it yet , it has been as reliable as any other of my shotguns. It's a tad heavy for a .410 , but I think it's a decent looking gun and my son likes it. I have slightly embarrassed several co workers on a preserve hunt for pheasants with it. I got mine in '09 in Louisville for cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:48 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
According to Fausti, the "Fausti by Traditions" stackbarrels are the lowest quality O/Us they have ever made.

Did the sisters tell you this while wining and dining you in their private villa?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:05 am 
Crown Grade

What I wonder is the level of quality? You can look at other gun makers and the guns they make and walk away shaking your head wondering how they can make such guns.

So if the Fausti "Fausti by Traditions" is their lowest quality, how does it stack up against other guns in that price range.

I know they won't rank with Caeser Guerini, but there is a order of rank for the many gun manufacture's in the world today.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:37 am 
Crown Grade

jaguarxk120 wrote:
seb7515 wrote:
Trash guns. They have no recoil lugs and when they go off face you throw them away.

Please note: in my book by Vic Venters "Gun Craft" there is no mention of "recoil Lugs".

In the Appendices under "A Glossary of Terms", no such animal listed, I think seb pulled this term from some dark place!

Also note that Vic Venters is Shooting Sportsman Magazine's senior editor.

Please go into great detail why break open shotguns are joined on the circle or is it jointing on the circle. This should be an easy one for you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Buy the book and you will know even more about shotguns!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:20 pm 
Crown Grade

The forces when firing generate a pressure between the barrels and the standing breech which is trying to push them apart and open the action. The normal type of locking system prevents the gun opening but does little to relieve the recoil load and without some form of stress relief this load is placed squarely on the hinge. I'm not sure but it's possible the Kersten lock does both jobs but even on the DTs Beretta uses shoulders machined into the barrels which fit a matching cutout in the action walls. There are different recoil relief systems though; most Perazzis use wedges and draws in the action walls and Browning, along with some others, has recesses in the action floor which locate the bottom lugs under the locking bolt. CG also uses this method and the Invictus has an easily replaceable action floor as part of the 'million rounds' pitch.

AFAIK the Blaser F3 and Perazzi MX-S also have bottom lugs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

JoeDirt (great name BTW):

I've mentioned this on here before, but my dad had a Traditions Fausti Field Gold III for a while. It was actually a really attractive gun and worked well. The Kersten bolt was a neat feature and seemed to be doing its job just fine.

The barrel selector location was a bit odd, but worked just fine too. It ejected spent shells with appropriate authority.

My dad shot a lot of clays with his and a fair amount of ducks. It did well with heavy 3" steel and the Remington HDs we were into at the time.

As I said, it looked at home on a rack with other o/u's at our club.

The gun's achilles heal was its trigger, which was horrible. It had a bit of dead travel before doing its thing and even then was heavy.

He sold it for at a very modest loss. The new owner is happy.

I think it's a pretty good way to get a serviceable over an under that looks better than it should.

Best of luck-

Brent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

[quote="Brent"]JoeDirt (great name BTW):

I've mentioned this on here before, but my dad had a Traditions Fausti Field Gold III for a while. It was actually a really attractive gun and worked well. The Kersten bolt was a neat feature and seemed to be doing its job just fine.

The barrel selector location was a bit odd, but worked just fine too. It ejected spent shells with appropriate authority.

My dad shot a lot of clays with his and a fair amount of ducks. It did well with heavy 3" steel and the Remington HDs we were into at the time.

As I said, it looked at home on a rack with other o/u's at our club.

The gun's achilles heal was its trigger, which was horrible. It had a bit of dead travel before doing its thing and even then was heavy.

He sold it for at a very modest loss. The new owner is happy.

I think it's a pretty good way to get a serviceable over an under that looks better than it should.

I finally got around to shooting a few rounds of skeet with it today. I had to order some skeet chokes for it and wait for them to come in. Very pleased with it so far, and the trigger feels pretty good to me. It's about an 8 pound gun and the recoil is very minimal. I'm ordering a thinner recoil pad for it just to shorten the LOP a little. I also like the barrel selector in front of the trigger. I'm hoping this will last a few years until I buy something nicer. I went and ordered spare firing pins for it. As I understand it that is the most common failure, so if it happens I will tear it down and change it. Hoping to shoot it again later this week. Thanks for your input Brent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:53 am 
Presentation Grade

Three years ago this post started. In 2009 Tradition, who is located in Connecticut now imports only Black power guns. The story is 2008 we all know what happen and the US $ went into the shitter(Some guy called Bush), So to import a low price level gun at a higher cost, that was selling in Walmart was a no brainer.

In 2009 Ducks Unlimited had as a dinner gun, not the gun of the Year, a Fausti Tradition, but some nice engraving, gold ducks. Still a Tradition type. This gun was imported by Kevin Cherry of North Carolina exclusively for DU.

Cabela and other used gun store not get many of these and try to sell for $1000 plus. A 200% markup. When we trade in the give us 50 cents on a dollar.

The only confusion is in 2013 the Fausti 4 lock was selling and DU ordered a model 2013 stamped on the barrels, but almost the same engraving so they were a look alike and confused Cabela Gun Library managers/ One may have lost his job on a dispute.

The 2009 older 2007 did have the Kersten dual crossbolt, like my Weatherby Athena V and DT10, just a little smaller lugs on the top of the barrels. Only cheapest part in gun was what they called the "cocking hook" which was ribbitted to the fore end metal and become loose, but on lockup appears to held in place by the monoblock.

Fausti USA, who saw a DU 2009 12 ga. , was not impressed, but helpful and stated his exclusive US gunsmith, in Virginia could service the Tradition. The gun was NIB and stiff and the automatic ejectors failed due to lack of use in 9 years or so.

Took to range shot 17/25 out of box, no issues. The owners manual w/ DU2009 had both the Kersten Cross locks and newer four locking systems diagrams and part list. Call Fausti USA, Steven Allen , their GM, nice guy and he will give you thie gunsmith phone number in Orange,Virginia, a small shop near the court house. They will help you and parts are available in Italy and Steve Allen can get them, but he will not work on them, unless you have the gun exported to Italy, which is expensive.

Added point; Huglu has copied USING A browning LOCK UP, but similar "cocking hook" that appears to be screwed into, not ribbited.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:44 am 
Crown Grade

frankgoss wrote:
Three years ago this post started. In 2009 Tradition, who is located in Connecticut now imports only Black power guns. The story is 2008 we all know what happen and the US $ went into the shitter(Some guy called Bush), So to import a low price level gun at a higher cost, that was selling in Walmart was a no brainer.

In 2009 Ducks Unlimited had as a dinner gun, not the gun of the Year, a Fausti Tradition, but some nice engraving, gold ducks. Still a Tradition type. This gun was imported by Kevin Cherry of North Carolina exclusively for DU.

Cabela and other used gun store not get many of these and try to sell for $1000 plus. A 200% markup. When we trade in the give us 50 cents on a dollar.

The only confusion is in 2013 the Fausti 4 lock was selling and DU ordered a model 2013 stamped on the barrels, but almost the same engraving so they were a look alike and confused Cabela Gun Library managers/ One may have lost his job on a dispute.

The 2009 older 2007 did have the Kersten dual crossbolt, like my Weatherby Athena V and DT10, just a little smaller lugs on the top of the barrels. Only cheapest part in gun was what they called the "cocking hook" which was ribbitted to the fore end metal and become loose, but on lockup appears to held in place by the monoblock.

Fausti USA, who saw a DU 2009 12 ga. , was not impressed, but helpful and stated his exclusive US gunsmith, in Virginia could service the Tradition. The gun was NIB and stiff and the automatic ejectors failed due to lack of use in 9 years or so.

Took to range shot 17/25 out of box, no issues. The owners manual w/ DU2009 had both the Kersten Cross locks and newer four locking systems diagrams and part list. Call Fausti USA, Steven Allen , their GM, nice guy and he will give you thie gunsmith phone number in Orange,Virginia, a small shop near the court house. They will help you and parts are available in Italy and Steve Allen can get them, but he will not work on them, unless you have the gun exported to Italy, which is expensive.

Added point; Huglu has copied USING A browning LOCK UP, but similar "cocking hook" that appears to be screwed into, not ribbited.

What is ribbited?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:14 am 
Field Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
What is ribbited?

Not sure, but it might have something to do with this:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:31 pm 
Crown Grade

razir66 wrote:
Dr Duk wrote: