It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baikal MP-153 vs ATA CY (Weatherby SA-08)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:29 am 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone. I own a Baikal MP-153 synthetic which I bought new and has been totally reliable from 1 oz. loads and up. Accordingly to serial number, it was manufactured in 2007 and it is the 3” chamber version. I mostly use it for upland hunting and its been great. How ever at 7.8 lbs (sling included) it is a heavy gun.

I have recently been reading good reviews, including Mr. Wakeman´s posts and videos, about the ATA CY (imported to the USA as the Weatherby SA-08, please correct me if I´m wrong) and a 6.4 lb gun idea has started growing on me.

Unfortunately, I can´t have them both, so my question is for those of you who know these guns, is the ATA (Weatherby) good enough (in terms of features, performance, built quality and durability) to sacrifice my Baikal?

Thanks for stopping by and good shooting 2017!

Last edited by chewie676 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Baikal MP-153 vs ATA CY (Weaterby SA-08)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:34 am 
Field Grade

I too read Randy's reviews on the SA 08 and thought that the synthetic 26" version would be a perfect backup gun for dog training ( I am more of a pointing dog guy than a shotgunner), as well as heavy scratchy cover and for poor weather. I live in Canada and 2/3 of our grouse season is liable to be in snow.

Well, it didn't quite work out as I had planned, as after patterning and shooting the thing, I realized that the gun not only fit me perfectly, but that at upland distances the patterns were awesome. Also it would cycle light 7/8 oz. loads right through heavy waterfowl magnums, including brands of shells that cause trouble for other brands of guns. I owned a steel receiver Browning B80 (Beretta 303) some years ago, and I feel that ATA/Weatherby fixed everything that I didn't like about Beretta.

I have gone three seasons without any kind of failure to fire, eject, or cycle. My stepson bought one as well and his experience has been similar.

Mine weighs 6 lbs. 8.4 oz. and I do feel it is a tad light for repeated firing of heavy shells, due to a little recoil (I have other guns for that anyway), but for an all day carry and exceptional balance and feel, I don't think it can be beat.

I am always fiddling with a GPS or training collar, or video camera, and I have to say I almost forget I have a gun with me, it is that handy.

Post subject: Re: Baikal MP-153 vs ATA CY (Weatherby SA-08)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Both are good guns. Parts for the MP-153 are becoming hard to find. Might be a good time to unload the Baikal and switch.

Post subject: Re: Baikal MP-153 vs ATA CY (Weatherby SA-08)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you want the Baikal to go to a good home, please pm me, as I would be interested.

Good luck and safe shooting.

PM or contact sales@hollywoodoptical.com for details

Post subject: Re: Baikal MP-153 vs ATA CY (Weaterby SA-08)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone. Sorry It took me some time to be back. I´m still in to process of making my decision.

Rail's Hot Rize wrote:
Well, it didn't quite work out as I had planned, as after patterning and shooting the thing, I realized that the gun not only fit me perfectly, but that at upland distances the patterns were awesome. Also it would cycle light 7/8 oz. loads right through heavy waterfowl magnums, including brands of shells that cause trouble for other brands of guns. I owned a steel receiver Browning B80 (Beretta 303) some years ago, and I feel that ATA/Weatherby fixed everything that I didn't like about Beretta.

I have gone three seasons without any kind of failure to fire, eject, or cycle. My stepson bought one as well and his experience has been similar.

Mine weighs 6 lbs. 8.4 oz. and I do feel it is a tad light for repeated firing of heavy shells, due to a little recoil (I have other guns for that anyway), but for an all day carry and exceptional balance and feel, I don't think it can be beat.

I am always fiddling with a GPS or training collar, or video camera, and I have to say I almost forget I have a gun with me, it is that handy.

Thanks Rail's Hot Rize. That´s the kind of stuff I wanted to hear.

cubsfan wrote:
Both are good guns. Parts for the MP-153 are becoming hard to find. Might be a good time to unload the Baikal and switch.

Good point Cubsfan. Hopefully they will be available soon anyway.

Trapperjohn01 wrote:
If you want the Baikal to go to a good home, please pm me, as I would be interested.

I´ll be happy to do so Trapperjohn01. I´m afraid that will be hard to achieve since I don´t live in North America.

Maybe some other folks will share there experience anytime soon. Thanks again everyone.