It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OLD KLUNKERS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

Like many of you I sometimes browse the local gun shops and pawn shops, and sometimes find a bargain.

They all seem to have a few low priced "klunkers" in the rack -- beat up 50 to 100 year old shotguns with stock cracks, rust, no finish, dents, etc. I got to wondering where they finally end up?
Often the price is $100 or less...

I suppose that if one were really poor, these guns may be okay to hunt with, or be home protectors. But I sure wouldn't want to depend upon a klunker to protect my family. I've seen a few of these oldies hanging on a wall in a garage or county bar. Some probably live in an attic.

What do you do with a really-old low-quality distressed shotgun?

gold40

Post subject: Re: OLD KLUNKERS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Pass them by, unless I am looking for a wall hanger for decoration

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The most "distressed" gun I own is a Beretta semiautomatic that is almost 50 years old. When I bought it, it was packed so full of dirt (soil!) that I had to soak it in a tub of water in order to get it apart. It still looks like it was tied to the bumper of a pick-up and dragged 10 miles down a gravel road.

I have shot a couple of rounds of clays just to test it, and it has been absolutely 100% reliable. It would make a good gun for home defense (although I favor a SxS and a revolver for that) or for a loaner for the dumb BIL that breaks everything he touches. Like the guy I bought it from said, "This gun would be great for hunting in heavy brush - you don't have to worry about getting it scratched!"

Don't be so quick to turn your nose up at old clunkers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gold40 wrote:

gold40

Twice in my life I've physically chopped up (bandsaw) and disposed of old distressed/malfunctioning/unrepairable guns. By chance they were both Stevens products. One was a plastic stocked SxS 20 ga. and the other was a clip fed 22 bolt rifle. They were both low value, poor condition and broken.

NRA Life/Endowment Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:23 am 
Tournament Grade

Just like unrepairable old cars - pass them to the parts breakers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:41 am 
Utility Grade

Sell them to Numrich Gun Parts Corp.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:13 am 
Crown Grade

These guns are perfect for gunsmiths-in-training. If you want to learn to refinish a stock, cut checkering, or any of a hundred other things you're likely to screw up the first dozen times, it makes sense to start with these.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

They end up at my house. Not all 'low cost' shotguns were low quality guns, and while people were more likely to mistreat, neglect, abuse cheap guns, sometimes there are some hidden treasures that just need some TLC. Sometimes I have to cannibalize two guns to have enough parts to build one functioning piece.

If i find a gun which is totally unfamiliar to me, and I feel I can afford it, I will sometimes buy it just to study, even if it's completely unrepairable

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There might be a better market for old, junky looking guns than you think, especially if they appear to function properly. I've even bought some that I knew didn't function properly, but I thought I could make it function properly. I was right. :)

Some people are just looking for an inexpensive gun as a barn gun or bottom of the boat gun or something like that. Some people like to work on (experiment with) older, inexpensive guns. That way, if they screw it up, they haven't lost much. The lessons learned are worth far more than the meager cost of the gun.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:36 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
Quote:

You mean like the little 6-1/4 pound 20ga Hopkins & Allen SxS with an action that rattled and clattered when you shook it, that I had to accept in a trade to get the three guns I wanted? Well, I took it to a gunsmith that knows what he's doing and $150 later I've got a sweet little vintage bird gun that my son loves to shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Depending on the gun and situation, of course, they can be fun projects.
Although I haven't done it yet, there can be profit from parting them out. :) Someone may have been looking for a certain part for a long time and would be happy finding it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

...love my klunkers.....all over 110 years old....all still being hunted today.... LeFever , Parker , LC Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:54 am 
Diamond Grade

Mr. ONEEYEDNINE --

I don't think any of those three SxS beauties fall anywhere near my definition of a "Clunker."

gold40

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:11 am 
Tournament Grade

Gold40 , believe it or not , I paid $50 for the LeFever. It was loose and looked every bit of its age. After a little research and about $350 , its as tight as new and doesn't look too awful bad either.

I guess this is my "diamond in the rough". I do have some real klunkers though. The ones with 0% bluing left and the very faintest remnants of checkering. It always amazes me that despite their outward appearance , the bores on most of these guns are still mirror bright. Its always fun to take one and get her "up and running" again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:47 pm 
Crown Grade

With enough time and money, you can repair anything. But is the cost worth it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've picked up several guns that seemed used up that turned out to be absolutely useful. Aywhere from $25-$150. They looked bad out the outside but just needed a little TLC. Great for loaners or when you want a bird gun in the car but don't want to treat the Browning or (old) Winchester like a beater.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Halwg wrote:
With enough time and money, you can repair anything. But is the cost worth it?

You determine that when you're buying.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I love to find an old gun with some cosmetic challenges and a good coat of grime over a sound, low round count, and otherwise desirable shotgun.

A badly fitted, rotted recoil pad, and especially a Polychoke or other choke device on a sound old gun, warms my heart,,,because it's all the more chance I can get a bargain.

What I've learned, over the years, is to buy Browning Auto Fives instead of wanna be Auto Fives. Real Model 12s and Ithaca 37s instead of the other pumps. And if the price gets over $400 the gun should be a genuine Super X Model One with no issues except recoil buffer replacement.

There are four, and not five, classic American repeating shotguns worth fooling with. Those are the Browning Auto Five, Winchester Model 12, Ithaca Model 37, and Winchester Super X Model One.

That doesn't mean I don't fool with the others, too,,,it's just that I'd have saved myself a lot of searching if I'd known that once you get a good A-5, M12, M37, and SX1, you are slumming a bit, after those.

And of those four classics, honestly, the best is the Ithaca Model 37.

You can buy parts for them, barrels, everything, and if a man owned one three inch twelve gauge Model 37 with choke tubes, all other guns would be pure luxury.

The next up is the SX1. It's the only target gun anybody ever needs, and if you were a mighty man enough to lug it around, it's an ideal hunting gun, too.

After the big four, there should be honorable mention of the Remington Model 31, the Browning B-2000, the Ithaca Model 51 (for adults only), and the M870 and M1100 are still completely modern guns and not classics.

As for the classic American doubles, the best one is the Lefever Automatic Hammerless.

After that, it's A.H. Fox, Parker, L.C. Smith and Ithaca.

A Winchester Model 21 is likely the very best, but not worth the prices charged.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:22 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Seems to me that most of them end up over the fire place at Cracker Barrel !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm actually in the process of looking for an "old klunker". I'm in the mood to restore a shotgun and take on a little more then my previous endeavor. Great way to learn on the cheap. The last one I did came out beautifully. I am probably in to the gun a little more then it's worth, but I am proud of the work I did. It's now a gun my wife uses and will be passed down someday so, hopefully, it will become priceless to one of my kids.