It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning gold
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:08 pm 
Field Grade

Hi all. Im new to the forum and was wondering what ya'll think of the browning gold in 12 guage and is $600 a good deal for a lightly used one. And also where did browning take out the weight in their super light model? Thank you everyone and have a blessed day.

Post subject: Re: Browning gold
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:18 pm 

It sounds like a pretty good deal depending on the condition of the gun and the model. The Gold was a very good model that was well made, reliable, and had good features. They still live on somewhat in the Browning Silver and Winchester SX3 models.

The SL models as well as the Fusion models were lighter from different barrel contours, alloy magazine and recoil tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I have an Gold SL and love it. And just bought a LNIC Fusion.

Bought them both at amazing prices on line. With some careful shopping you can find mint ones for $650-$850. And these are much better guns than Silvers or SX3's. Usually the Gold models have very nice to great wood on them.

Seriously - even at $850 for a LNIB or lightly used model; they're better than most any other semi-autos including those at $1000 and up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I've owned 3 Browning Gold guns.
None could go over 100 rounds without starting to jam.
Every person I know who had one had the same experience.
So, it required a complete cleaning every time I used it!
I would never own another, just my opinion!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

The nickname for the Gold is the jamomatic. I've heard more stories abut these jamming than any other semi.
A friend of mine who has worked as a firearms tester once told me that if you ever see one of these for for sale that it's because someone gave up on trying to fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Have ran mine for years with no parts breakage or jams ACTUALLY caused by the gun--have had a few with shells loaded one too many times.Only REAL complaint would be the heavy trigger pull-however---if shooting only this gun it will become unoticable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:46 am 
Field Grade

Iv'e done a little research and found that the aluminum piston is mostly the problem and also the factory greese that browning typically packs their guns in. I saw that Briley makes a stainless steel replacement that might be worth looking into. The model is a 1995 browning gold hunter in 12 guage with a 3inch chamber.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have two Golds, a 3" and a 3-1/2". The only time I ever had an issue was after several weeks of duck hunting with the 3-1/2 and no cleaning. It began jamming occasionally, which is to be expected. When I cleaned it, I was rather embarrassed at how much crap I had allowed to accumulate in the gun. I am amazed at the current notion that an automatic shotgun should run indefinitely with no maintenance. See how that works with your car.
Some guns come closer to being able to do this than others, but that doesn't make it a good idea. My 11-87 is one of those "run forever" guns, so does that mean I don't need to maintain it? In addition to the Golds, I have two SX-3s and a Silver. They are all basically the same internal mechanism and have all been excellent functioning guns.
One interesting thing about the Gold is the features it may or may not have. The earlier ones (like my 3-1/2, bought new in '98) have a magazine disconnect and speed feed. My 3" gun was bought used so I don't know when it was made, but it has neither feature. I've heard some were made with humpback receivers, but I've not seen one myself.
If the gun you're looking at is in good physical and cosmetic condition, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy it. They're a little heavier than some of the newer guns but that also helps with recoil. With proper maintenance you'll never wear it out, they're very well built.

P.S. I've had zero piston issues, and hadn't even heard of that until now. Of course if neglected long enough I suppose it could start to corrode and stick.

NRA Life/Endowment Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:16 pm 

Mattj4866 wrote:
Iv'e done a little research and found that the aluminum piston is mostly the problem and also the factory greese that browning typically packs their guns in. I saw that Briley makes a stainless steel replacement that might be worth looking into. The model is a 1995 browning gold hunter in 12 guage with a 3inch chamber.

The aluminum pistons are fine. The packing grease in the recoil/bolt return spring assembly is a huge problem for this model. Most Gold's springs when fairly new look worse than most other auto loaders after years of neglect. There's about ten 12 gauge Golds owned by myself and group of buddies. They are the only model that have not had a failure of any kind out of more than three dozen auto loaders. One is just like the one you are looking at and from about the same time frame. I've personally put more than a thousand rounds though my own Gold without any cleaning, adding oil, or wiping anything off. They also tend to have tight chambers, so make sure they are free of build up. Some of the early Golds had firing pin issues and Browning made some small changes that eliminated them.

I've never seen a 12 gauge Gold without the speed load feature. Some have the cutoff lever and some don't. The standard 3" in any finish from any year does not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Worc wrote:

I've never seen a 12 gauge Gold without the speed load feature. Some have the cutoff lever and some don't. The standard 3" in any finish from any year does not.

You're right. I just went and checked my 3" Gold. Speedfeed but no mag. cutoff. Its my Silver that has neither. Thats kind of backwards to my (marginal) mind. I really like the cutoff because it makes for quick/easy unchambering for crossing ditches etc. and promotes safety. I know the "lift the carrier trick" and use it, but prefer the lever.

NRA Life/Endowment Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have the Browning Gold in their Sporting Clays model. I use it for trap and pheasant hunting.
I've had it since 09 and have put hundreds of rounds through it without a single problem.
Nice looking gun, very comfortable to shoot.
I won mine so I don't know what they cost.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:53 pm 
Field Grade

I got the gold. I cleaned it as soon as i got it and took it to the range. It cycled 1 1/8 oz loads no problem. So far im very happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Worc is correct that all Gold models have Speed Feed; and that not all Gold models have Mag Cutoff.

Without getting into too much detail (plus I'm not an expert or historian in these matters!):

Gold Fusion and Gold Superlight (SL) models all have mag cutoff.

I believe 3 1/2" models all have mag cutoff.

The semi-humpback Field models sold as "Full Line Dealer" models I think all had mag cutoff.

I can't remember if the "Evolve" models have this or not. I'm not a big fan of the "euro styling" so I don't pay much attention that that line.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:51 am 
Tournament Grade

" Some of the early Golds had firing pin issues and Browning made some small changes that eliminated them."

Does anyone know what the firing pin problems were? my brothers gold broke a pin. (used gun, do not know the round count) so we replaced the pin in his and mine with one from brownells and went to J&P for their spring kits. So far no trouble. I'm assuming Brownings problem was metallurgy ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Super X 3 way better gun than Gold. Tired of cleaning Gold after 100 shells.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:37 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a Browning Gold Sporting Clays Model among 6 other target shotguns. It is an absolute pleasure to shoot. It is well balanced and very reliable. It helps to install the Wolff Xp spring and to keep the gas ports open. I broke 1 firing pin years ago, not a big deal to replace it.

NSCA Level II Instructor
CSM/TRACS Certified Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:07 pm 

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
Without getting into too much detail (plus I'm not an expert or historian in these matters!):

The semi-humpback Field models sold as "Full Line Dealer" models I think all had mag cutoff.

I can't remember if the "Evolve" models have this or not. I'm not a big fan of the "euro styling" so I don't pay much attention that that line.

The 3" rounded receiver SL does not have a magazine cutoff. All 3 1/2" models do, all FLD/Classic (angled receiver) do, and the Fusion and Evolve models do.

captjsjr wrote:
Does anyone know what the firing pin problems were? my brothers gold broke a pin. (used gun, do not know the round count) so we replaced the pin in his and mine with one from brownells and went to J&P for their spring kits. So far no trouble. I'm assuming Brownings problem was metallurgy ?

They had issues breaking. I don't recall what the fix was off hand but, was updated mid 97'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Worc. mine is a '97 so i'll hang on to the old pin. (mine was not broken)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:18 pm 

wttex wrote:
Super X 3 way better gun than Gold. Tired of cleaning Gold after 100 shells.
You do know that they are practically the same guns. They even share some of the same parts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Worc wrote:
VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:

The 3" rounded receiver SL does not have a magazine cutoff. All 3 1/2" models do, all FLD/Classic (angled receiver) do, and the Fusion and Evolve models do.

captjsjr wrote:

They had issues breaking. I don't recall what the fix was off hand but, was updated mid 97'.

I have a 3" rounded receiver Gold SL (the traditional looking one; vs. a semi-humpback) 12 gauge and it has speed fees AND a mag cutoff switch. Maybe some didn't, but the SL's I've seen do have the mag cut off.