It is currently Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Browning gold
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:37 pm 
Field Grade

Just sold my 12 and 20 ga Gold Hunters ater several years of regular field use and steady clays. I'd probably still own them and perhaps several others IF they fit better but they never really did. Functionally never a problem other than a broken firing pin with the 12 ga but that was easy enough to fix. Gold's are soft shooting, nice looking, and reasonably priced used. Have switched to Beretta 391s only because the shims get me a near ideal fit. Good fit really makes a difference. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Gold if it fits you right. The speed feed is a great feature in the field. I understand the Sporting models do have some factory shims so may look into that model if the need arises again for another gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:00 pm 

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
I have a 3" rounded receiver Gold SL (the traditional looking one; vs. a semi-humpback) 12 gauge and it has speed fees AND a mag cutoff switch. Maybe some didn't, but the SL's I've seen do have the mag cut off.

Interesting, I've only seen a few of these in the wild and don't recall seeing the magazine cutoff switch on any of them. I also checked a 2006 Browning catalog and it stated this particular model did not have one. Maybe you can post a pic of that beauty for my hungry eyes. I wonder if they changed the following year or two that they were produced.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:38 am 
Crown Grade

I'll try to take some pics and post this afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:46 am 
Field Grade

I have three Golds two 3"12 's, one of which is camo that is still my go to duck/goose and turkey gun and a 20. The wood 12 and 20 field models I shoot skeet and sporting clays with. My camo 12 does not function well with Kent's Other than that they digest everything you can put through them even lighter loads. I rarely clean the 12 wood model before it has 400-500 rounds through it. Good luck that is a decent price