It is currently Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a reasonably priced 28 gauge
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:25 am 
Crown Grade

I use my 12 gauge Browning Crossover Target for Trap and Sporting Clays. When I want a lighter gun for two or three rounds of Sporting Clays, I use my Beretta A300. I like both guns and shoot them as well as I can, which is enjoyable for me. Now, just for shits and giggles, I'm interested in pursuing an inexpensive 28 gauge gun. Will only use it three or four times a year. My goal is to keep it less than $1000 bucks. Thank's Guys!

Post subject: Re: Looking for a reasonably priced 28 gauge
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Semi, hard to beat an 1100, or if light weight is paramount a Benelli Ultralight or a Stoeger 48.
In a SxS a Dickinson or a V. Bernardelli (not talking the new ones, can't speak to those.)
In an O/U, a scaled frame Beretta. Only O/U that has tempted me in over 40 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:33 am 
Crown Grade

Virginian, this Zoli looks nice as well:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f ... =100789294

And a Rizzini DT O/U weighing <5-1/2#:
http://images.gunsinternational.com/lis ... 8E5050.jpg

c'mon lotto

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:30 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Franchii 48-AL! Browning Model 12. Ithaca 37.

Can't fathom a Zolli or Rizzini at your price point! Though I got a 28 and .410 Sig-B. Rizzini TR-20 a few years back for a nickel under a Grand each. New, fixed choke 26-3/4" barrels, PoW stock, Sweet little guns. Love shooting skeet with them! Monsoor's in Wisconsin, for some reason I can't recall the name of the city. Old river boat town on the Mississippi south west corner of the state. Give them a call. No web site but a search will bring up a bio and phone #. Always an add in Shotgun Sports magazine.

Bedlan's in Fairbury, NE. Never know what they might have kicking around.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:23 pm 
Crown Grade

There is a new Beretta A-400 in 28 ga on the Classifieds for $1069
Very good price on a new gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tough to come up with an O/U of any quality at that price point. A used SKB might show up now and again for that. Browning or Beretta's command higher unless beat. I love my scaled frame SP1, but seldom shoot it with the 28ga barrels. With 410 barrels it is a pleasure to shoot, with 28ga barrels it stings a bit, almost too light. I personally won't chase 28ga hulls from a SA. I'm a reloader and can't stand to see them hit the ground.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:09 pm 
Crown Grade

A friend of mine recommended a Legacy Pointer 28g

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Weatherby SA08 in 28 gauge is sweet! Reliable, great Weatherby service and priced right. The choke thread pattern is Beretta Mobil Choke so aftermarket chokes are abundant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

+1 on the above. I am a fan of the SA-08 in 28 gauge. Purchased on last March, have maybe 2K rounds through it from everything to skeet, sporting clays, and even some upland game hunting. No problems thus far with the gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The only thing that I don't like about my semi autos is the fact that I reload my hulls and my 1100 ejects those empties into the next county. Same for my Benelli, but not quite as far. Ditto on my 1100 .410. Something to consider.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How about 28 gauge tubes for the Browning?

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:40 pm 
Limited Edition

+2 on the Weatherby SA-08. Love it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:15 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

TriStar has nice sweet little 28 ga auto at under $600. I bought the 12 ga Bronze model. So far so good. But it is an auto and will throw empties. As mentioned, a set of Briley Companion tubes would do a nice job. I've got a set I use in my 425 and XS Skeet. If you are looking for light, that's not it. Franchi used to make the Veloce in both 20 and 28, even a combo. I had a 20 that was nice and light. I'd think IF you could find one in 28 that $1,000 figure might be pretty close. Just another option to pursue.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:57 pm 
Crown Grade

That's for all of the great suggestions. I thought about Briley tubes for the Browning, but they will only increase the weight of the gun. The Weatherby SA-08 28g is a great suggestion. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:39 am 
Crown Grade

I bought one of the Yildiz O/U's, the SPZ ME 28ga. The wood is great, gun seems to work fine, I kinda wish it had extractors instead of ejectors... but I just don't shoot it much. It was about $450 at Academy Sports. Can't say I'd recommend it, but it's an inexpensive option if you don't want to chase 28ga hulls. If you don't reload them, someone does.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:13 am 
Presentation Grade

The only 28ga in my safe is a gorgeous little Wingmaster that's probably older than I am. It's what my wife, son, daughter, daughter-in-law and grandson all learned to shoot with and it's patiently waiting for our granddaughter to take her turn.

We've also got a couple of 20ga SA-08s in the family, both plastic and the Deluxe models, and if I really started 'jonesing' for another 28, it would definitely be a Deluxe Weatherby SA-08. ...and now that I'm thinking about it...
:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:43 am 
Tournament Grade

Where do you find these SA-08 in 28ga?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Flyn'dutchman wrote:
Tough to come up with an O/U of any quality at that price point. A used SKB might show up now and again for that . . .

I was going to post exactly that. In fact, I purchased my 28 gauge SKB 585 on Gunbroker for $1,000 buy it now. Great gun!

To find one, you have to luck into it, spend a LOT of time scouring the auction sites or set up searches with e-mail notification and be prepared to pounce.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:15 am 
Presentation Grade

Franch 48AL no longer listed, how about the Browning BPS, in the $600 range in 28GA.

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Slugo
I originally purchased a Weatherby SA08 28 gauge for occasional 28 gauge events and really like it as I stated earlier. But I ended up purchasing some 28 gauge Sidekicks and prefer them for competing. As far as balance and weight, I can't even tell any difference when they are installed in my Caesar Guerini which I feel is an awesome advantage. Shooters seem to either love or hate Sidekicks. Performance wise, I have no issues with them, having won several subgauge punches this year. The SA08 will gobble up every brand of shells I have tried and the Sidekicks basically require AA's, etc. You have options :D