It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for a reasonably priced 28 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DallasCMT wrote:
I bought one of the Yildiz O/U's, the SPZ ME 28ga. The wood is great, gun seems to work fine, I kinda wish it had extractors instead of ejectors... but I just don't shoot it much. It was about $450 at Academy Sports. Can't say I'd recommend it, but it's an inexpensive option if you don't want to chase 28ga hulls. If you don't reload them, someone does.

Remove the ejector rods, easier to open and instant extractors

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought a 28ga Citori Lightning last year for $1000, I consider that reasonable

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

PM sent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:21 pm 
Field Grade

Slugo, I took the sub-gauge dive this last year. I wanted to try them out after experimenting with 3/4 oz and 7/8 oz light recoil loads in my 12 gauge. The light loads were lots of fun to shoot. So I bought a Remington 1100 Sporting 28 over the summer and a MEC Jr. to keep it fed. It has been enjoyable to shoot and has performed as I expected a classic Remington autoloader should. I agree that the hull ejection distance is silly and the gun is not light at 7.25 lbs. However, I've been happy with my purchase and won't likely be letting go of this gun. On the used market, you can find this all polished blue steel, figured walnut beauty for $850-1000.

I also nabbed a Weatherby SA-08 just before Christmas! Since I've only had this gun a week and I haven't fired it, I'm afraid to offer too much of an opinion. However, I'll admit I'm wondering if it's not going to be the better gun. In general, the gun seems to balance and point better than the 1100 and considering the gun is half the price, it's difficult to recommend the 1100 over it. The plastic trigger guard/assembly is probably the biggest bummer. It does not seem to match the overall appearance/quality of the shotgun. Used they can be had for around $450-550. No doubt this is a best buy in the market place, especially for a 28 gauge!

Given the high praise others have for it, you should consider the Weatherby SA-08 and spend the savings on a reloader!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:41 am 
Crown Grade

Slidertom wrote:
Where do you find these SA-08 in 28ga?

They are not as plentiful since the recall. Looks like Bud's has one:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mob ... _28ga_28in

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:43 am 
Crown Grade

Darryle wrote:
Remove the ejector rods, easier to open and instant extractors

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Around here sportsmans warehouse carries both the tristar viper and sa-08, essentially the same gun but one costs $100 more. I have the cheaper of the two and use it as a loaner. Works well and is less than 6 lbs. was about $550.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:11 pm 
Field Grade

I've also seen a few brand new SA-08 in 28 gauge for around $665 on Gunbroker. You'll of course have shipping and FFL fees on top of that, but there ARE a few to be had.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:25 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Sporting 28 it goes well with the 110 12 ga and the Model 58 20 ga.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:08 pm 
Limited Edition

I bought mine from my LGS. It was a few dollars more than if I'd bought it online, but when possible, I like to support the local shops. He ordered it from his distributor, and I had it a few days later.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:37 pm 
Limited Edition

jsnoland wrote:
I've also seen a few brand new SA-08 in 28 gauge for around $665 on Gunbroker. You'll of course have shipping and FFL fees on top of that, but there ARE a few to be had.

For that kind of money I'd get a Franchi.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:38 pm 
Field Grade

The Franchi 48 AL is indeed an option, but a bit more $$ in my experience (though if anyone sees one at $665 I might be a buyer too!). But a good gun, for sure. Another option -also a bit more $$ is the Remington 1100 Sporting 28. I have it in 20 and love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Slugo wrote:
I use my 12 gauge Browning Crossover Target for Trap and Sporting Clays. When I want a lighter gun for two or three rounds of Sporting Clays, I use my Beretta A300. I like both guns and shoot them as well as I can, which is enjoyable for me. Now, just for shits and giggles, I'm interested in pursuing an inexpensive 28 gauge gun. Will only use it three or four times a year. My goal is to keep it less than $1000 bucks. Thank's Guys!

A 28 gauge gun is for the moments when you want to put aside the rude, larger bores and enjoy the smallest gauge shotgun that retains the ability to be an effective shotgun at all casual clay target sports and upland game hunting. It should be a very nice gun, one you are proud of. A 28 gauge is a luxury item. It should be light, six pounds is ideal, and never a large gun with a small barrel cobbled on it. The 28 gauge gun should be on a 28 gauge sized action.

I own a Ruger Red Label 28 gauge and a Tristar Italian made 28 gauge side by side double. Neither are available as new guns. I like my RRL 28 gauge, but I just love my light, small, little Italian 28 gauge side by side.

Of the repeaters, only the Ithaca Model 37 28 gauge tempts me in the slightest.

Sheriff Jim Wilson and I share a common fondness for the 28 gauge.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/long-guns/ ... ge_073106/

Today, the best value in a true 28 gauge side by side are the CZ Huglu offerings.

I have a 20 gauge CZ Huglu side by side, and if I didn't already have that excellent Tristar 28 gauge side by side I'd sure be looking for a CZ 28 gauge side by side.

The guns are offered on gunbroker, and sometimes on the classifieds of this forum.

Buy the best one you can find, that has double triggers and preferably with a color case hardened action, and nice wood.

The 28 gauge is supposed to be a gentleman's gun.

Buy one you can be proud to own, is my advice.

The gun shops are full of powerful, efficient blasters designed to maximize the number of birds killed and targets broken.

The 28 gauge is a gift to yourself for having arrived at a point where the experience of shooting a nimble little 28 gauge is more important than scores or bag counts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:03 pm 
Field Grade

All this talk of 28 gauge options has prompted me to take my own advice...yep, just bought me a brand new Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe 28 gauge with the 28" barrel! Can't wait to shoot it, as I've had my eye on this gun for about 2 years now.

Got it from Buds for $687 shipped, including insurance. With my FFL, the total price out the door will be $707, which I consider to be pretty darn good for such a beautiful gun. About $100 less than if I'd purchased it from a local Texas retailer.

Now to figure out how to explain this to the wife...I think I'll just blame Slugo for starting this whole conversation and putting the idea back in my head!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:24 am 
Field Grade

New model 37 Ithaca 28 ga.

Kronos 20 Ga.
Kronos 28 Ga.
AOS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:54 am 
Crown Grade

Jsnoland, have you shot it yet, how did it do? Congrats on the new gun...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:52 pm 
Field Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
Jsnoland, have you shot it yet, how did it do? Congrats on the new gun...

Haven't received it yet but will hopefully get it this week and get to the range next weekend. Will report back once I do.

I have shot the SA-08 in 12 gauge and found it to be very enjoyable. Looking forward to the 28.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:48 pm 
Field Grade

I really like the Browning Citori in 28 gauge.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 28 gauge is a Browning BPS with a 28" barrel. I shoot it a couple of times a year for fun. At about $600 new, you'll be hard pressed to find a better fun:dollar option.

Consigliere of the Muller Mafia!
"There is not a target on this course that I cannot hit, and no target that I cannot miss.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Beretta A400 28ga......this is a super sweet little gun. Quick, light and reasonable priced....new for around $1350. Great dove and quail gun....new favorite.