It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi Instinct Catalyst
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:32 am 
Utility Grade

My 15 year-old daughter has been shooting skeet and sporting clays with me since late spring and is really enjoying the experience. The man who's been coaching us in skeet indicated yesterday that she has the potential to be really good, but, not surprisingly, the gun she's using does not fit her very well. I've started to look at some suitable guns better designed for a woman shooter, and the Franchi Instinct Catalyst is a potential solution. The gun, specifically the butt stock, has been reconfigured to fit the frame of a female. Perhaps just as significant for me, I have the opportunity to purchase the gun at a discounted price. I'd like to be in the position that price is not a consideration, but that's not our reality. On the other hand, buying a gun simply because it's a good price cannot be the driving factor.
So, has anyone had any experience with this particular model? Or if not the Catalyst, has anyone put the standard Franchi Instinct through its paces on the skeet/sporting clays field. I'd really like to think she'd hunt upland game with it, but she's more of a shooter than hunter.
Are there aspects of the Instinct that make it poorly suited for a clays gun? The gun comes with a 28" barrel and only 3 chokes which makes me think it's more geared toward the hunting market and casual clay shooter. My daughter is not an elite shooter by any standard, but she takes instruction (not from me!) very well and has the drive to improve. Most importantly to me, I have a shooting partner and want to foster that relationship. We shoot primarily 7/8 oz. loads for clays that do not bother her from a recoil standpoint, so I'm not looking for a sub-gauge gun for her. She shoots in NRA's YHEC program and really wants to be competitive in all their shooting venues, especially sporting clays.
Thank you to anyone who responds. I appreciate the feedback. Matt

Post subject: Re: Franchi Instinct Catalyst
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:59 am 
Presentation Grade

I shot a standard Franchi Instinct for 3 rounds of skeet. That was enough for me and my shoulder. The gun your looking at is 6.9 lbs... even with 7/8 oz loads, I would have big concerns about recoil after a 100 round tournament. Most of the girls on the team I coach are shooting 12 gauge autos, mostly A300s and 1100s

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Find a nice clean Beretta 682 and spend the money on a custom stock.
There are world class shooters still shooting and winning with these work horses.
She will never be held back by her gun.

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your responses to my post regarding the Franchi Instinct Catalyst. The gentleman who has the gun has loaned it to me for my daughter to try. In his words, "Shoot it and see how well it performs for her. I'm in no rush, so wait until the weather is nicer." I really appreciate his generosity, and am anxious to see how well she shoots with it. Her first reaction to it was that it fits her much better than my Beretta. If the weather breaks today, we may head to the skeet range and put it through its paces. I definitely plan to have her shoot enough to ensure that recoil isn't excessive because it's a lighter gun than the one she's currently shooting. Part of me thinks that perceived recoil may seem less if the gun fits her. When shooting the Beretta, she has about half of the stock above her shoulder in order for her to look down the rib. Not so with the Catalyst. Additionally, the shorter LOP should make mounting easier and faster. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:04 am 
Field Grade

@win9410 do you mind if I ask why you haven't considered a Syren shotgun for your daughter? They are designed specifically for female shooters and they have pretty much everything from over/under to semiautos in upland hunting, competition clays and trap guns, even waterfowlers.

https://syrenusa.com/shotguns-for-women/

Maybe have her try out the Syren XLR5 Sporting. It's a semiauto which sounds like what you are interested in and you can get it for under $2K and specifically built for sporting clays. There's also a Syren Elos Sporting over/under in the $2500 mark. Of course you can go all the way up to their highest tier Syren Magnus Sporting if you want to drop north of $5K on the beautiful wood, engraving, lifetime warranty of a Guerini built gun.

Check their event calendar. Syren has demo days through-out the shooting season where you can demo guns.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:20 pm 
Utility Grade

MDshooterSam, I have seen this line of guns, and am very interested in them. My daughter's shooting coach has spoken highly of them, but with two daughters involved in basketball, softball, and shooting, the cost of these guns is higher than what we're comfortable spending at this time. Even the price on the Catalyst is higher than what we'd like to pay, but it's doable. Thanks for the suggestions however.