It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: V3 or SX4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi. First post here. I am looking for a new shotgun. I am between the Remington V3 and the new SX4. I know the SX4 has been limited release so far, but comparing the SX3 will do for me.

What are your opinions between the guns? Reliability, cleaning, recoil, cycle speed, etc...

Thank you in advance!

Post subject: Re: V3 or SX4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They both seem to work. Which feels best to you, and do you prefer American or Turkish ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Virginian wrote:
They both seem to work. Which feels best to you, and do you prefer American or Turkish ?

I like them both. As always, I prefer made in the USA. However, I'm wondering what would be best for my usage. I shoot trap, skeet, and rabbits. Maybe 600-700 rounds a year and hunt pheasants and grouse. Is there any difference in how long these guns will hold up?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

At that rate of use, you most likely be unable to wear either gun out. The Remington does come with a lifetime warranty if that matters to you.

Choose which ever gun feels the best to you. And that fits your wallet the best.

dalee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:07 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the replies. I am leaning toward the V3 and will more than likely go with the walnut version. I'm going to check out all that I can at the "Great American Outdoor Show" in Harrisburg, PA early next month. I love that show. I'll let you know how I make out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:43 am 
Crown Grade

Virginian wrote:

Last I checked the Winchester SX3 and Browning Maxus were assembled in FN Herstal's Viana, Portugal facility. Did that change with the SX4?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:42 am 
Diamond Grade

Virginian wrote:

Which one of these two is made in Turkey?

I am curious just for the sake of knowledge. Not being critical, judgmental, or making a statement.

I own some made in America classics, Belgian Browning, Beretta, and have had top notch Japanese quality guns and currently own a recently manufactured CZ to boot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Sobrepuesta wrote:
Virginian wrote:

Last I checked the Winchester SX3 and Browning Maxus were assembled in FN Herstal's Viana, Portugal facility. Did that change with the SX4?

Nope they are still being put together in the Viana plant .

Citori 725 Sporting
Citori 725 field 20ga
1100 Rem 20 ga Std Wgt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Assembled does not equal "Made", does it ? Doesn't matter to me as the Turks have proven they can build a decent gun to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:21 am 
Tournament Grade

With the V3, you get the most modern and innovative operating system at this price point, and a gun made in the USA. The downside to the V3 lies in overall weight (compared to the SX4), generic aesthetics, and less lively feel.

The SX4 is merely an updated SX3, using the same old gas system as the Browning Gold/Silver, and the Winchester SX2 and SX3. The updates are all ergonomic. Collectively, these updates make for a slimmer, lighter and livelier gun than the predecessor.

I personally chose the SX4. My local shop had a couple in stock last week, and they just felt great. Compared to the SX3, the A300 and the V3; the SX4 is slimmer, the oversized controls and trigger guard are easier for me to use, and the gun just seems to have more inherent quality and attention to detail than anything else in the price range.

I live out west, hunt upland birds exclusively, and tend to choose light guns that are easier to carry all day and are quick to mount and shoot. If I were a waterfowl hunter, I may have chosen the V3 or Versamax.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Degle wrote:
With the V3, you get the most modern and innovative operating system at this price point, and a gun made in the USA. The downside to the V3 lies in overall weight (compared to the SX4), generic aesthetics, and less lively feel.

The SX4 is merely an updated SX3, using the same old gas system as the Browning Gold/Silver, and the Winchester SX2 and SX3. The updates are all ergonomic. Collectively, these updates make for a slimmer, lighter and livelier gun than the predecessor.

I personally chose the SX4. My local shop had a couple in stock last week, and they just felt great. Compared to the SX3, the A300 and the V3; the SX4 is slimmer, the oversized controls and trigger guard are easier for me to use, and the gun just seems to have more inherent quality and attention to detail than anything else in the price range.

I live out west, hunt upland birds exclusively, and tend to choose light guns that are easier to carry all day and are quick to mount and shoot. If I were a waterfowl hunter, I may have chosen the V3 or Versamax.

I really am in the middle with these two. I am one of those people whom like innovation. I however have been disappointed by the latest and greatest it in the past. How you ask?

New designs need bugs worked out and sometimes by new parts. New parts need to be manufactured (and perfected) and that takes time and patience. (Especially on new products) Often I find that refinement is only found after product success and not in initial products offerings.

I guess after all of that, my two questions are:
1.) Given the SX4 is more refined, how good is its relatively dated (1990's) gas system?
2.) Did Remington get it right on the first try?
3.) Which is more gun for the money?

I don't have money to purchase these things regularly... Just trying to make the $$$ count and get it right. It may come down to the old mattress test of "just tell me what feels right"... lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Virginian wrote:
Assembled does not equal "Made", does it ?
So now you're saying that the SX4 is made of Turkish parts? What % of it? Do you have inside knowledge of FN Herstal's parts sourcing for the Maxus and SX4?

I bet not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Maniac01 wrote:
Maybe 600-700 rounds a year
At that rate just about any decently made gun will last you a lifetime. My personal choice would be neither. If I were in your shoes I'd buy a Beretta A300 and call it good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:01 am 
Utility Grade

Sobrepuesta wrote:
Virginian wrote:
Assembled does not equal "Made", does it ?
So now you're saying that the SX4 is made of Turkish parts? What % of it? Do you have inside knowledge of FN Herstal's parts sourcing for the Maxus and SX4?

I bet not.

I went to Winchester's website and found this about the production of the SX3.

"Super X3 Autoloading Shotgun (SX3).
The Super X3 autoloader is the latest in the line of shotguns having their roots in the original Super X Model One, although mechanically the similarities are very vague compared to the original. The Super X3 action is more directly related to the Super X2 introduced in 1999. Both the Super X2 and the newer Super X3 are made at our partner factory in Belgium, with additional assembly work done in our Portugal plant. In the gun industry "Made in Belgium" quality is legendary -- and you can see it in every part, every fit and every finish of the Winchester Super X3."

http://www.winchesterguns.com/support/f ... tured.html

Don't know about the SX4.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:33 am 
Utility Grade

I just called Winchester/Browning. The new SX4 is made in the same plant in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

I will be interested to see how many times will we read that the SX4 is a Turkish gun since one poster came up with a totally unsubstantiated claim. These things die hard on this site!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:44 pm 
Utility Grade

drawdc wrote:
I will be interested to see how many times will we read that the SX4 is a Turkish gun since one poster came up with a totally unsubstantiated claim. These things die hard on this site!

It does say in the specs that it has Turkish Walnut, but that's only the wood, and I trust what Winchester told me directly..

Last edited by Maniac01 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Degle, please let us know your opinion of the SX4 when you've had a chance to shoot the gun. If it is anything like the SX3 in reliability I think you will be very pleased.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sorry, I guess I was thinking of the pump.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Virginian wrote:
Sorry, I guess I was thinking of the pump.

{hs#