It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me decide
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:34 pm 
Field Grade

I have narrowed my choices down to about four guns. Anyone with first hand knowledge please chime in.

1. Caesar Guerini Invictus Ascent
2. Blaser F3
3. Zoli Z Sport
4. Used Perazzi Mirage in excellent condition with numerous chokes

Which one? Besides number 4, I would probably buy new unless I could find a good deal used.

Post subject: Re: Help me decide
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:40 pm 
Limited Edition

3, 3, and 3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Those are all good guns. I wouldn’t trade my F3 for anything, but you are buying the gun. I suspect you know which one you really want. Asking advice at this point won’t add clarity, only confusion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Personally, if I have that much money for a gun, I am going to do everything I can to try and shoot them first. If you have a local gun club where folks have these guns, bring a flat or two of NICE ammo, like STS or AA, give them a box as a thanks and shoot a round of trap or skeet or 5 stand. If they reload, give them your empties as well. For the price of a flat or two of that ammo, I would consider that a cheap investment to avoid a mistake..................

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:31 am 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Personally, if I have that much money for a gun, I am going to do everything I can to try and shoot them first. If you have a local gun club where folks have these guns, bring a flat or two of NICE ammo, like STS or AA, give them a box as a thanks and shoot a round of trap or skeet or 5 stand. If they reload, give them your empties as well. For the price of a flat or two of that ammo, I would consider that a cheap investment to avoid a mistake..................

+1 GREAT ADVICE!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 am 
Crown Grade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

If cost is no issue among the choices, I'd look at what you get both externally and internally. The Guerini internals aren't anything special, but the outside of them is terrific. Great support.

The Blaser for some reason has a stiff recoil for me. It might be that the butt pad is thin or that the drop is just a bit too high, I don't remember it being incredibly lightweight. The options of interchangeable barrels is quite a draw. The internals are a step above the Guerini.

Based on a lot of reading and gunsmith Q&As, the Zoli seems to have the the best match externally and internally - but someone else is going to have to chime in with how they shoot.

The Perazzi is externally and internally top notch, but I know (and of) folks whose stocks have split, and my perception is that the company hasn't been a leader in responding well to the problem. Not sure if they get shipments of substandard wood, or if there is something within the drying or manufacturing process that is driving the problem. I'm not keen on known problems not being addressed properly. Most importantly, while anecdotes should never be given the credence of fact, I don't know anyone with (or has owned) a Guerini, Blaser, or Zoli that has faced the same cracked stock problem.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

slowshooter wrote:
If cost is no issue among the choices, I'd look at what you get both externally and internally. The Guerini internals aren't anything special, but the outside of them is terrific. Great support.

The Blaser for some reason has a stiff recoil for me. It might be that the butt pad is thin or that the drop is just a bit too high, I don't remember it being incredibly lightweight. The options of interchangeable barrels is quite a draw. The internals are a step above the Guerini.

Based on a lot of reading and gunsmith Q&As, the Zoli seems to have the the best match externally and internally - but someone else is going to have to chime in with how they shoot.

The Perazzi is externally and internally top notch, but I know (and of) folks whose stocks have split, and my perception is that the company hasn't been a leader in responding well to the problem. Not sure if they get shipments of substandard wood, or if there is something within the drying or manufacturing process that is driving the problem. I'm not keen on known problems not being addressed properly. Most importantly, while anecdotes should never be given the credence of fact, I don't know anyone with (or has owned) a Guerini, Blaser, or Zoli that has faced the same cracked stock problem.

So what, exactly, makes the Zoli the best of both worlds? I am not saying they are bad guns in any way, but there is absolutely nothing exceptional about them. Very basic gun that is well built. Sounds like a DT 11.