It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F.a.i.r. or Cz
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:14 pm 
Field Grade

Alright guys my wife has given me the greenlight for a new shotgun. The two that ive narrowed it down to are the F.a.i.r. Carrera One or the CZ Sporter G2. The only problem is neither one of these shotguns are available to check out locally. I just purchased a FN/Winchester 101 field thats a super nice gun but doesn't fit me at all so I cant hit the broad side of the barn with it so I don't want to make that mistake again. Im open to other suggestions but the high end of my budget is $1500

Post subject: Re: F.a.i.r. or Cz
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:17 pm 
Field Grade

I forgot to add that I really want an adjustable comb from the factory to make it easier to get the gun to fit me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Why not have the Winchester fitted with adjustable comb? Good ones will cost about half your budget to be done well, not leaving much for the gun itself..............

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:33 pm 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Why not have the Winchester fitted with adjustable comb? Good ones will cost about half your budget to be done well, not leaving much for the gun itself..............

The problem with getting the Winchester fit is 1.) I promised a good friend i would give him a good deal on it. 2.) It's a field gun with a very low rib and since this is will almost be target /clays gun I would like something with a little higher rib on it. The two guns I am looking at come from the factory with an adjustable comb.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:35 pm 
Field Grade

In all honesty I never should have went down the over/under rabbit hole and should have been happy with my Remington 1100 Competition which fits me quite well and shoots good for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:36 pm 
Field Grade

Oneounceload, where are you at in Central Florida? Im in the Daytona area.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Between Orlando and Gainesville areas

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:44 pm 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Between Orlando and Gainesville areas

If you're ever in Volusia County come by Volusia County Trap and Skeet, it's open to the public and a good bunch of guys out there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The gun you already own is a better one than either of the two you are considering. Just tell that friend you changed your mind and are planning to keep what you already have...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:01 am 
Limited Edition

jd10ac wrote:
The problem with getting the Winchester fit is it's a field gun with a very low rib and since this is will almost be target /clays gun I would like something with a little higher rib on it.

Are you sure you understand the relationship between drop at comb, rib height, and point of impact?

How, exactly, does your 101 not fit you? Does it shoot too high, too low, too far right, too far left? Where (and how far in inches) is the point of impact in relation to the point of aim at 16 yards?

I get that you don't have money to waste (neither do most of us), so I'm trying to understand what your real issue is. Once I understand that, I can give you advice you can use.

I went through this same thing about 18 months ago, and I know what to do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:29 am 
Field Grade

jd10ac wrote:
In all honesty I never should have went down the over/under rabbit hole and should have been happy with my Remington 1100 Competition which fits me quite well and shoots good for me.

I disagree with the over/under rabbit hole. I have the FN 101, it's awesome but it's a field gun so it's light and kicks more and I get occasional cheek slap. I also have a Beretta 686 sp1 sporting and that thing fits like a glove and is way nicer to shoot for clay events. If you got a heavier over/under with the rib you prefer that fits you well, you would probably be a happy camper.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:52 pm 
Field Grade

JER2 wrote:
jd10ac wrote:
The problem with getting the Winchester fit is it's a field gun with a very low rib and since this is will almost be target /clays gun I would like something with a little higher rib on it.

Are you sure you understand the relationship between drop at comb, rib height, and point of impact?

How, exactly, does your 101 not fit you? Does it shoot too high, too low, too far right, too far left? Where (and how far in inches) is the point of impact in relation to the point of aim at 16 yards?

I get that you don't have money to waste (neither do most of us), so I'm trying to understand what your real issue is. Once I understand that, I can give you advice you can use.

I went through this same thing about 18 months ago, and I know what to do.

Jer, I honestly haven't taken it to the pattern board so I can't give an accurate answer to that. I also don't really know the correlation of everything to the point of aim. I took it out of the box and started shooting on the trap range, I ended up with my worst score ever and got discouraged and went back to my 1100. I did take it to the practice area last Saturday and was doing better with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:54 pm 
Field Grade

razir66 wrote:
jd10ac wrote:

I disagree with the over/under rabbit hole. I have the FN 101, it's awesome but it's a field gun so it's light and kicks more and I get occasional cheek slap. I also have a Beretta 686 sp1 sporting and that thing fits like a glove and is way nicer to shoot for clay events. If you got a heavier over/under with the rib you prefer that fits you well, you would probably be a happy camper.

I don't find the recoil bothersome at all on it but I've honestly only put around 100 rounds total through it at this point. I don't notice any cheekslap or anything but i do think the length of pull is a little short.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:45 pm 
Field Grade

It can take some getting used to shooting on a flat rib if you’re used to a raised one. I had a mid bead installed on my 101 and it helped me realize how low I had to get for the beads to line into each other. You may be simply shooting a touch high, it happened when my son went from his 1100 to a flat rib citori gti. Then after his horrible first outing he focused on keeping low on the flat rib and has been lights out ever since.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

These guns fit me to a tee. Rem 870/1100, Beretta 687/686, A400, CZ Ringnecks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:56 pm 
Limited Edition

jd10ac wrote:
Jer, I honestly haven't taken it to the pattern board so I can't give an accurate answer to that.

You really need to do so, otherwise everything you do is just a guess.

You need to shoot at an aiming mark 16 yards away while pointing, not aiming, the gun. Do that 2 - 3 times to get some repeatability. Then measure vertical and horizontal offset of the center of the pattern (eyeball it) to the aiming mark.

At 16 yards, every inch that the center of the pattern is away frrom your aim point equals 1/16" of movement (in the opposite direction) on an adjustable comb.

If the center of the pattern is 3" high and 1 1/2" right at 16 yards, the comb needs to be moved down 3/16" and left 3/32" to hit point of aim.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:03 pm 
Field Grade

JER2 wrote:
jd10ac wrote:
Jer, I honestly haven't taken it to the pattern board so I can't give an accurate answer to that.

You really need to do so, otherwise everything you do is just a guess.

You need to shoot at an aiming mark 16 yards away while pointing, not aiming, the gun. Do that 2 - 3 times to get some repeatability. Then measure vertical and horizontal offset of the center of the pattern (eyeball it) to the aiming mark.

At 16 yards, every inch that the center of the pattern is away frrom your aim point equals 1/16" of movement (in the opposite direction) on an adjustable comb.

If the center of the pattern is 3" high and 1 1/2" right at 16 yards, the comb needs to be moved down 3/16" and left 3/32" to hit point of aim.

Jer, thank you for giving me a little better understanding on the getting it to shoot where I'm looking. I went out today and decided to leave the Winchester in the case and shoot my 1100. I was getting so wrapped up in everything that I wasn't having fun anymore. I broke 20 to 23 all day with the Remington so I'm just going to shoot it and have fun. Maybe I will revisit the Winchester later.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

I’ve owned a couple of Verona guns (FAIR). I liked them very much, but that was 10-12 years ago. If I was you i’d find a used Beretta 686 .

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:56 pm 
Field Grade

I just wen't back to my 1100 competition, it works and fits me pretty good.