CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca/SKB 600
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:48 am 
Utility Grade

I found a Ithaca/SKB 600 12Ga Mag for sale for $850 and was made sometime between 1969-72. I was wondering if this is a good deal or not?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Ithaca/SKB 600
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:02 am 
Diamond Grade

It was surely a good investment... that's about three times what it cost new. Have you looked at the Weatherby Orion by SKB for a few dollars more (new). The 600 was the second from the bottom O/U from Ithaca. They usually have very plain wood and short barrels. Check prices on www.gunbroker.com.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have that same gun chambered in 2 3/4 with fixed chokes. It's fully engraved, nickel plated and shoots like a dream. I only paid $750 for mine but it was fairly "well used" if you know what I mean. Someone definately hunted with it. If you like the Ithaca 600 and it fits you then I highly recommend it. Mechanically it is a very reliable and well made gun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:39 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a SKB 600 that was also "well used" when I bought it. I really liked it until this dove season when the forearm stock split down the middle. Any idea where I could find another stock? My has a lot of engraving also. It's a shame for it to have to live in the closet the rest of it's life.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

CrosnoeGuns has buttstocks but not forend stocks. I have also been looking for a replacement forend for some time. Mine was professionally repaired before I bought it. It had a one inch split in the front of the forend on the bottom.

http://69.24.75.131/ <- CrosnoeGuns

For forends you may want to contact SKB directly or have one made locally. I subject mine to heavy use and have had no problems from the repair.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:32 am 
Goose101 wrote:
I found a Ithaca/SKB 600 12Ga Mag for sale for $850 and was made sometime between 1969-72. I was wondering if this is a good deal or not?
Thanks

To answer your question, it depends on the condition of the gun and whether it has been altered from original. A 12 Gauge Mag should have an original recoil pad. you need to measure LOP as well as the fixed chokes to determine if in spec. If the gun was mint and all original, $850 is reasonable. -Dick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Nokindadancer,
The fore end just might repairable. We have repaired a few of these with O-K results and a cost savings to the owner too.

Rays

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:55 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I am with Dick on this gun. If it is very nice and original and you want it,$850 is not out of reason. These are highly underated guns.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Numrich Arms is selling full stock sets for $139.00.

Copterdrvr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Is that a full stock set? I thought that was only the back half and not the forearm. I see they're sold out of forearms.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Fuelburns1 wrote:
Is that a full stock set? I thought that was only the back half and not the forearm. I see they're sold out of forearms.

Yeah, sorry-it looks like you're right. I wasn't paying attention.

Copterdrvr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just found this post. I'm looking at a Ithaca 600 right now, pretty good shape.

I'd just like to confirm that these never came in trap configuration, correct? I can deal with a gun setup as sporting, but I do not want a trap gun at this time.

The wood and bluing are nice on this particular gun, no outstanding dings or scrapes and it's selling for $400 so I'm very interested.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Just looked at a 2 year old version of the BlueBook. The 600 came in all versions and the $400 price puts that at about 85% price. As to the $850 the highest they show for any model is a hair over $700. I've seen decent ones (90-95%) around usually for $500-$600.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:48 pm 
Crown Grade

chilly460 wrote:
I just found this post. I'm looking at a Ithaca 600 right now, pretty good shape.

I'd just like to confirm that these never came in trap configuration, correct? I can deal with a gun setup as sporting, but I do not want a trap gun at this time.

The wood and bluing are nice on this particular gun, no outstanding dings or scrapes and it's selling for $400 so I'm very interested.

What are the choke constrictions and barrel lengths? If it's suitable for you, I would go for it at that price. The current SKB importer (www.skbshotguns.com) carries mechanical spare parts that will fit older guns. Mainsprings should be considered a maintenance item.

Looking at the stock dimensions, barrel length, and chokes will determine if a particular gun is a trap grade or not. For example, a Monte Carlo stock, 30" barrels, and fixed IM/F chokes strongly suggest a trap grade gun.

I've noticed that target grade Ithaca/SKB 600s and 700s command higher prices than one might expect. Trap or skeet grade M700s often carry asking prices of $1000 in the DFW area.

Be aware that there are other SKB Model 600 variants out there besides the guns Ithaca imported 30+ years ago. For example, I recently purchased a European market SKB Model 600 that was originally sold by SKB's German distributor, Albrecht Kind, in the mid 80's. My gun has a silver receiver, tasteful engraving, higher grade wood, 28" barrels and factory choke tubes. It's a great gun. :D