It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ USA vs Franchi
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:01 pm 
Field Grade

Hello All, looking for a 20 gauge over under light weight shotgun. Preferably 6.5 pounds or under to be used for upland hunting in Hawaii. We primarily shoot pheasant and froncolin. We have long walks and rugged terrain where we do our hunting.

Did some research and looking at the CZ Super Light Green for about $740. Or the Franchi Instinct L for about $1150 or the Instinct SL for about $1450. All have 28 inch barrels, and are light weight.

Any suggestions, comments, pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: CZ USA vs Franchi
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Either gun will do the job easily, do you have the opportunity to handle both of them? If you do, I would get the one that fits you best.

cdb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:46 am 
Field Grade

cdb, Probably won't have the opportunity to handle them without purchasing, as I would have to order it from one of the mainland states. I know what you mean about fit. I really appreciate your advice. Thank You!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:19 am 
Field Grade

I bought a CZ wingshooter elite in 20 with 28" barrels a couple of years ago. Its been one of the best guns that I own for upland birds and occasional targets ( I shoot an F3 for clays). When my older semi retired brother was looking for a shotgun, I recommended a CZ. He ended up with a CZ from Cabelas. I don't remember the model but its a no frills 20 with a blued receiver. I think he caught it on sale for around 600-normally close to 900. I shot the gun side by side with my wingshooter and couldn't tell any difference. I have probably put 2000 rounds thru mine without a hiccup.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do you have access to any guns? I would write down the dimensions of the two guns and try to find something that has the same dimensions and try it out. It's not the same as having the two guns in front of you, but it would be better than nothing. Do you have someone who can fit you, that would be ideal.

cdb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

I too have a CZ Wingshooter with a 28 inch barrel. Although mine is a 28 gauge. One very good shooting gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:08 am 
Field Grade

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate it. CDB, that's a great idea. We don't have anyone who can fit me, but there are a few small gun shops that have shotguns. I will do as you suggested. Again, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:28 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Nothing wrong with a Franchi. I used to have a sweet 20 ga Franchi Veloce. Sold it to a friend who had his confiscated by his daughter. I found it a bit light for what I used a 20 O/U for after I got my Beretta 686e Sporting. Has an automatic safety, I grew to despise that and disconnecting it didn't work at all. Jut the recoil would reset the safety between shots! If you want light, pretty, and usually not a Kings Ransom, look for a used Veloce or Squire. They don't make them any more ☹️

BP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:11 pm 
Field Grade

Thank You for your advice Burnt Powder.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:14 pm 
Field Grade

Hey Hawaii Gerald!

Did you end up making a decision on this purchase?

I just got the Wingshooter Elite 12ga and shot it this morning for the first time. It looks amazing and shoots great. It was the talk of the club today, for sure :-) I posted some photos and more details here, if they're still helpful...

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=461077