It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington v3 bolt stuck after reassembley
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:27 pm 
Field Grade

I was reassembling a remington v3. The bolt seized up as i put it in a little too far. Any solutions to this?

Post subject: Re: Remington v3 bolt stuck after reassembley
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:58 am 
Field Grade

I solved the problem. For any of the gun owners that didn't read the owner's manual and got the bolt stuck in their V3, put the bolt handle in as best you can while it is stuck. You can then pull back on it with a little pressure and it should go to a more rearward position. Work it the way you got it out and it should fly all the way forward. You can then resume the reassembly process. I hope this helps anybody that may have this problem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:03 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the thread & post, Matt. I have a new V3, too. And I was watching this thread to see whats what.

Glad you got it sorted out, and glad to hear its an easy fix.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I had this exact same problem today. I ended up taking it to a gunsmith to get it fixed. This is a problem that remington really needs to address.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:15 pm 
Field Grade

Put the charging handle in backwards and it will free up the bolt, this is not a problem that needs fixing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Howdy efriedrich,
You saved my day with my V3, thanks.
I joined this forum just to thank you..
Since I Love Shotguns I'll hang around and get some more info.
Thanks again
Longboard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:47 am 
Limited Edition

teamrpr wrote:
This is a problem that remington really needs to address.
They did. They sent you instructions on how to assemble and disassemble the gun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:24 am 
Presentation Grade

The first time I took mine apart for cleaning I had a little bit of trouble getting the bolt back in. My problem was that I was pushing on the bolt face. This is not a problem with an 870 or an 1100 as these bolts do not rotate like the V3, or for that matter the bolt on an AR. I found that pushing on the bolt carrier solved the problem. This is shown in picture 30 on page 21 of your manual. The instructions are right above that picture on the same page.

In short, yes, RTFM. I did read the manual, but i forgot this part. After reviewing the manual it went together quite nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:53 pm 
Field Grade

Road Man wrote:
The first time I took mine apart for cleaning I had a little bit of trouble getting the bolt back in. My problem was that I was pushing on the bolt face. This is not a problem with an 870 or an 1100 as these bolts do not rotate like the V3, or for that matter the bolt on an AR. I found that pushing on the bolt carrier solved the problem. This is shown in picture 30 on page 21 of your manual. The instructions are right above that picture on the same page. After reviewing the manual it went together quite nicely.

x2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:28 am 
Crown Grade

Road Man wrote:
The first time I took mine apart for cleaning I had a little bit of trouble getting the bolt back in. My problem was that I was pushing on the bolt face. This is not a problem with an 870 or an 1100 as these bolts do not rotate like the V3, or for that matter the bolt on an AR. I found that pushing on the bolt carrier solved the problem. This is shown in picture 30 on page 21 of your manual. The instructions are right above that picture on the same page.

In short, yes, RTFM. I did read the manual, but i forgot this part. After reviewing the manual it went together quite nicely.

Hey Road Man, I ordered a V3 but it didn't ship yet. Before ordering I went to Cabela's and shouldered and looked over the various versamaxes and V3s they had. The V3s fit and feel good to me, and I am fairly pumped to have an autoloader for ducks that I should shoot well.

Question though, does the v3 have a rotating bolt face? The gun counter guy at Cabelas was less than knowledgable about some things, but he swore the V3 bolt did not rotate like the versamax. I honestly couldn't see it rotate, either, while the versamax was clearly rotating.

I didn't walk out with one; they said the would price match, but then changed their tune, saying the price I found online was "below their cost". Uh huh. The waiting is now becoming painful. I used a beat up mossberg 500 to finish last season...I shot it okay but they are so clunky. I hope I shoot this V3 like I do my 20 ga 1100.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:17 am 
Presentation Grade

The V3 bolt absolutely does rotate, yes!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:08 am 
Limited Edition

FullandFuller wrote:
Question though, does the v3 have a rotating bolt face? The gun counter guy at Cabelas was less than knowledgable about some things, but he swore the V3 bolt did not rotate like the versamax.

Big box store gun counter guy and knowledgeable don't belong in the same sentence.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:23 am 
Crown Grade

That cracks me up. I fully expected the v3 to be essentially a versamax that was scaled back to 3". But this guy was adamant that it was a totally different gun design; nothing in common.

He did manage to sell some lady and her son a mossberg pump. They pointed to the ad they brought, and he probably got the right one, even. I may have bought the b/s v3 if they honored their price match policy, but they wanted $779+tax for it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

FullandFuller wrote:
That cracks me up. I fully expected the v3 to be essentially a versamax that was scaled back to 3". But this guy was adamant that it was a totally different gun design; nothing in common.

He did manage to sell some lady and her son a mossberg pump. They pointed to the ad they brought, and he probably got the right one, even. I may have bought the b/s v3 if they honored their price match policy, but they wanted $779+tax for it.

They are infact very different guns. I have owned both.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:06 am 
Limited Edition

They made different in details but they are essentially the same in operating system, yes, including the bolt design.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:17 am 
Field Grade

V3 and versamax have no shared parts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am 
Limited Edition

efriedrich1 wrote:
V3 and versamax have no shared parts.

Didn't say they did

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:50 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

FullandFuller wrote:

It is a different gun, a different action, completely different receiver, with no mainspring in the buttstock. Different trigger, different receiver, different gas exhaust systems, different stocks, different bore (different chokes) magazine cut-off, etc. ,etc. - - - it is a completely different gun.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

The commonality between the two guns is the Remington name, and the fundamental concept of the gas systems. The practical execution of that concept however is different.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

There is also a great video on youtube for bolt disassembly

13 Savage Bmag 17wsm
13 Remington XCR2 270
13 Remington Versa Max waterfowl Realtree apg
12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm