CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.75 vs 3 inch shells
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:16 pm 
What is better for upland hunting 2.75 inch or 3 inch. The gun am thinking about getting is the Citori Superlight in 12 gauge, but it has only 2.75 inch chambers will this be a problem for pheasants.

Post subject: Re: 2.75 vs 3 inch shells
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

For upland all you need is a 2 3/4 chamber. Alot of people use 16ga, 20ga, and 28ga for upland so a gun in 12 ga 2 3/4" is plenty.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:18 pm 
I lived in the Midwest for awhile and, during that time, took several hundred pheasants. I started out with a Win. Mod. 97, then went to a Win. Mod. 1200, and finally ended up with a Beretta AL-2, all in 12 guage. I never used anything but 2 3/4 inch loads. IMHO, I don't see the need for 3-inch 12 gauge loads for pheasant. I totally agree with John305.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:27 pm 
===============================================

............ Guest ... The standard 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch chamber is quite adequete for all upland game, this includes the wild North American turkey. ... The 12 gauge express loading has enough energy and velocity to cleanly kill game at 55 yards. ... There are almost no real long distance wing shots in the average group of shooters, it is mostly tall tales those stories of 80 yard takes.

............ The British consider the 2.5 inch as their standard length shot shell. ... Some guns are even 2 inch chambers over there. ... They are well aware that shot placement is far more important than "Sky Busting". ... One of the very finest gauges to use in the uplands is a 20 bore. ... The standard loading is one full once of shot. ... That is still 25% less than the average 12 gauge express loading.

............ In my over 40 some years of upland hunting I have learned to go easy on loading my shotguns for upland birds. ... I now mostly use trap loads for all my everyday needs. ... I never shoot beyond 35 yards, never! ... If it is late in the season and the birds are flushing wild I can go to a heaver loading in my 10 gauge Magnum, but I never do because I know I can't shoot straight at 80 yards anyway.

With Kindest Regards ... Norm

===============================================

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have to agree. 20's the thing here. If you feel you want more shot you can have it in the way of longer shells, still feeding them to a lightweight gun. If you want to shoot lighter loads in the 28-bore range that's possible as well.

The shorter 20ga shells would be my first pick. Ditto for 12. The only thing I'd want more length for is .410, and then I'd be prepared to shoot to 20-25yds. Anything else I could just watch fly away. Not so horrible a thing, either. If you pick your shots it'd be doable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:43 am 
Tournament Grade

All the chaps here are right, shot placement rather than the scatter approach!

It is also very important to use the correct loads. I was out shooting pheasant yesterday with my Winchester 101 chambered for 2 3/4'' cartridges. The shells I chose to use were Lyalvale Express 30g No 6 (perfect for pheasant!). These just happened to be in a 2 1/2'' shell, though the load was perfect for the quarry.

Just remember that there is no substitute for shot placement and the right loads!

Ben

** Arm yourselves, and be ye men of valor, and be in readiness for the conflict; for it is better for us to perish in battle than to look upon the outrage of our nation and our altar. - Sir Winston Churchill, 4th June 1940. **

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:51 am 
Crown Grade

<b>"What is better for upland hunting 2.75 inch or 3 inch"</b>

IMHO...2 3/4 is all you 'need' for anything with a 12 gauge...

3 inch just allows for larger payloads over the shorter shell but is required to keep the max pressures at the same levels as 2 3/4...3 1/2 inch chambered guns are allowed to load to higher pressures so they can handle a larger payload, faster muzzle velocity or both...

As everyone else has said...'Shot placement' (which in real-world terms means learn to shoot) is much more crucial than the size of your gun (or shell)...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:58 am 
Get the Superlight, you will love the gun. You can kill anything you want with a 2 3/4 inch shell. Never doubt that. That 12 gauge Superlight is perfect for upland. Skip the 20 gauge totally. If you want a lighter gun get a 28, it can do anything the 20 can with half the recoil. If its pheasant, stick with the Superlight 12.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Go with the Browning in 2 3/4"! I agree with salmoneye 100%. 2 3/4" shells will do the job everytime if you hit what you aim for! Good luck!