It is currently Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Browning BSS or Winchester 23 for SxS sporting events?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:56 am 
Field Grade

Was in Cabelas- Glendale this evening and they have a M23 PG 12 ga, 28" mod-full in pretty good shape. Someone did the Pachmayr white line pad way back when, but I don't believe the stock was cut so no harm done. What I did notice was the difference in "feel" from the BSS when closing the action; the 23 does not have that bank vault feel. And the triggers seemed more fragile as well.
All in all it made me feel good about going with the BSS for sporting clays.
I still made an offer on the 23 though!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:04 pm 
Field Grade

Not much beats a BSS. I would only put my RBL and Model 21 above it. The price differential of those guns make the BSS the overall Best price considered. That said there is nothing wrong with more guns. I also have an SKB 385 and Ugartachea. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My story: I wanted a SxS for local sporting side events, just for fun, nothing serious. Two buddies were selling SxS's; one was selling a BSS, 30" with Briley thinwalls and selectable trigger in used but good shooting shape. The other was selling an almost new RBL, single-selective, 30" solid rib with factory chokes. The RBL was a bit heavier but felt good in my hands. My buddies loaned me the guns for a local challenge SxS shoot, and I shot it well enough with the RBL to win it. Then I went back with the BSS and reshot most of the course and did about as well with it. End of day, the BSS was $1000 less expensive, and since it was primarily for fun, I went with the BSS.

Point is, for most of us the side event competition in SxS is just for fun -- there is no big money in it :lol: As such, I think you should shoot whatever you currently own first. If you don't own a SxS and want to buy one, I'd reco go ahead and get something you've always wanted since you'll enjoy shooting it. But end of day, if you want to shoot SxS and don't know what you want, I'd say it's really hard to beat a BSS or RBL as a base for competition SxS...

Obviously if you are in a dedicated SxS group, then you'll be into some of the higher grade options like Smith's, Parkers or any of the extremely fine Italian or English options, though many of those used cost more than a new SUV...

The more you know, the less you need...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:55 pm 
Field Grade

I'm with you, it's all for fun and another excuse to shoot more.
After looking at the 23 I'm glad I already had the BSS....have owned several of both back in my gun trading days, but never shot either until last month. The BSS has a really rugged "feel" to it, and the triggers are nice and crisp. Can' wait til it gets back from Briley's with the new thin walls. I still have a couple of events to shoot this spring in Tucson/Phoenix.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:08 pm 
Field Grade

Jacks. That's the perfect BSS for sporting and hard to find the 30" w/ sst. Bonus it had the thin walls already installed.

I agree sxs competitions are for fun. Many times I talk folks into joining me the day off and let them use one of mine. For me there is sentimental reasons to have a few around.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've said this before. Buy a nice 21 right, in good original condition, shoot it and take good care of it and more than likely it will be worth more than you paid for it down the road. Very few alternative choices for less money can make that claim.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith