It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Left eye taking over? Crossfiring?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Have been struggling some this trap season. Black smoking the ones hit but missing a couple each box. Not mentally noticing anything but is it possible left eye is taking over? Dr visit last week changed prescription to right eye being nearsighted and left eye farsighted. Any suggestions on how to try going to one eyed shooting? Have always shot two eyes and did well until the last few months. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Left eye taking over? Crossfiring?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1. wink/blink
2. Dot

Good luck. I hunted for years w/ 2 eyes open. When I took up clays at age 47 I had to wink or my left eye took over (not always , but enough to ruin a good score). So I use the Dot.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:48 am 
Utility Grade

More info on wink pls?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

acquire the target w/ both eyes open , and "wink" down the off eye lid at trigger instant.

This is more easily accomplished in SC's than trap.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:36 am 
Tournament Grade

After 40 yrs. of shooting the clay games I found that from time to time my left eye would pick up the left side of the barrel. I found what Sera says mitigates that problem. I have also found ,on the premounted games such as skeet. I can wink my left eye just before I call for the bird and it goes away. hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:36 pm 
Field Grade

Sera just gave you the second best solution to cross dominance (change shoulder is the best)

care to say more on your trap problem, does it always happen both left and right birds what about straight birds ? Has anything else changed ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 pm 
Field Grade

Copied from a prior post of mine, from over a year ago...

You might want to try these inexpensive colored dots, as they are working really well for me -- at less than a penny each -- and [when I first started using them] I shot 2 rounds of trap and 6 rounds of sporting clays on 4 different days, all using the same red dot! (I would just unpeel it and move it to another set of glasses that's in my shooting bag.) The red looks vermillion when on my glasses, and it "unfocuses" my left eye "just enough" so that it cannot take over and dominate the right eye.

[New Edit 7/2017: A year plus later, all my shooting glasses -- yellow, tinted and clear -- are all still using the original dots where I'd placed them.]

I don't have true cross-dominance, but my shotgun instructor [from just before my 2016 posting, which was my first formal shotgun lesson in 45+ years!] said my left eye was "almost as strong" as the right, which was an issue especially on targets starting low and fast from the left.

These see-through dots have really helped me -- and my scores were up by 15% to 20% on those recent shoots I mentioned above. And I had more confidence and more fun!!!

You can buy them for very little money Here On Amazon or look for them at Staples or other office supply stores.

Be sure to get the "see-through removable" ones! (Not the solid colored dots...)

Unlike a piece of black electrical tape, as the dot is put near top of my lens positioned so it blocks my left eye only when I mount the shotgun, the dots are not a problem to wear while walking around the range. In fact, we walked quite a ways on that sporting clays course, up and down some woods trails too, and the dot on my lens didn't interfere with my normal vision when looking straight out my lenses.

Try them... For little $$$ you have little to lose and MUCH TO GAIN!!!

Good luck!

Old No7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That's the Dot I referred to.

BUT , if your left eye is truly dominant , try shooting off that shoulder. I know guys who had an eye dominance change late in life and re-learned to shoot off their "wrong" shoulder......and still made M class.

If your eye is giving you problems only on occasion , like mine did , try the Dot. I tried to wink , but found that made me more fatigued and less able to concentrate. The Dot cured all that.

I have tried since then to re-learn to shoot w/out the Dot , several separate times, and failed miserably. So back to the Dot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

...and make sure they're the 3/4", not the little ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Avery-See-Throug ... 2470955011

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wow, maybe perusing SGW will help me exorcise a demon! After too many years away from the game, I started shooting sporting clays again this year. Began shooting some easy corporate and oilfield tournaments and did ok. Shot 85, 90, an amazing perfect 106 and a 95. Feeling pretty good about myself until I shot the first two NSCA tournament. 63 and 67. For some reason, I got to where I could not hit a left-to-right crosser to save my life. I don't mean wicked ones, I mean 35 yard, full view of the bird crossers! Right-to-left - no problem at all.

Last Saturday I shot an NSCA tourney with a friend whom I used to shoot with a lot. We took lessons from Dan Carlisle together years ago. Sure enough, I started missing LtR crossers. He figuratively slapped me upside the head and reminded me - mount on the nose of the bird, concentrate on it, pull away and pull the trigger. I ended up shooting an 85 and won B class.

FF to today. Went to my club and revisited a LtR crosser. I shot 50 times at that 35 yard bird and hit it a sum total of 4 times! I freakin' could not believe it. The demon wasn't gone! I got to thinking and remembered years ago I went through a period of cross-dominance and it was almost always with LtR crossers, especially late in the day when I was tired. This string of posts reminded me of those problems years ago, so I have taped all three of my shooting glasses to cover the left eye pupil when the gun is mounted. After shooting that bird today every which way I know how and not touching it, I've concluded that it's not only deeply in my head right now, but there might be another reason. I'm praying that it's at least partially a physical thing like cross dominance which I can control!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:26 pm 
Field Grade

Browning Citori Guy wrote:
Sera just gave you the second best solution to cross dominance (change shoulder is the best)

Crossfire and cross dominance are two totally different conditions. Crossfire isn't fixed by changing shoulders like cross dominance is.

NRA Life Member
MI Hunters Safety Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have crossfire issues but only on particular shots and the wink method works great. It takes practice and learning to do this. However, this is SC and I never seem to have an issue on trap (I have issues in bunker/international but nothing related to my eyes :-)

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:15 am 
Crown Grade

Trapmom270 wrote:
Have always shot two eyes and did well until the last few months. Thanks

It's called a slump, you are trying hard to get out of it and makes it worse.

It's amazing they have already diagnosed you with crossfire, cross dominance etc... they haven't even seen you shoot. Find a great shooter, have them watch you shoot could be anything

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was experiencing the same problem this weekend shooting skeet. I always knew I was left eye dominant, but for years it never seemed to bother me. I also had great vision until recently and I guess aging has taken its toll. Since I have a pacemaker embedded in my left shoulder no left hand shooting for me. An instructor at the shoot saw what I was doing, but some tape on my left lense after looking at me down the barrel of my gun and the result was amazing. I had tried the wink and one eye shooting types of correction, but the muscles in my left eye would twitch, which I experience shooting benchrest rifle and I ended up with a patch when I shoot long range rifle.

I understand the Browning and others sell occlusion patches specifically for shooting. I will look for them or take the advise and try the ones from Avery.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My best shooting buddy suffers from crossing occasional dominance and eventually went to the Dot , thus blazing thru B, C and A classes and now has 4 punches in AA.

Many top shooting instructors missed this. Seriously. The two who caught it right away were Scott Robertson and Jay Herbert.

Scott saw it on the 1st shot and Jay on the 6th.

All others missed it in multi-hours lessons. This is one reason I think most shooting "coaches" are charlatans. Even the ones who advertise in the magazines.

Anyone who says "you just need to try harder" is also a butt. You cannot try yourself into fixing this.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:14 am 
Crown Grade

Sera, any clue on how those two instructors "saw it" in your friend.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:36 am 
Crown Grade

XS
If I may, silly, stupid misses where the muzzle just doesn't find the target line. By silly stupid, you may see big misses, relative to the necessary lead. The muzzle move will break down and look a little 'lost' at the shot and there's a lack of consistency in muzzle placement. Attempted lead adjustments often won't work. The shooter can seldom relate accurately where he/she is missing. A simple, quick check is to close the off eye and shoot a few. Hit or miss, you can see an immediate improvement in the target/muzzle relationship. The muzzle will move on line with the target, the muzzle/target speed will match and the finish of the shot will have a positive feel to it. It may be quite difficult to feel as a shooter, but standing behind watching, it's quite easy to pick up, IMHO.

The simplest way for a shooter to tell is that you can hit targets from the gunside fairly easily, but targets from the other side are impossible to hit consistently.

The point that must be remembered when trying to figure this stuff out is that when the issues first start, they will quite likely be intermittent. Fatigue and lighting will come into play. It is easy to let the results of a good day convince a shooter that the problem is solved, but the next time shooting on a bad light, long day, it will come galloping right back.

Solutions are trial and error. No approach works best for everybody.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Scott was shooting Fitasc with us , when my friend missed a straight incomer. Said "tell'em to close the off eye on those."

Jay was testing for eye dominance changes and it took a virtual straight on target to perceive it.

Many switching dominance shooters do great on crossers , but the straight in or straight out allow too much time in the gun and the eye changes/flips.

Some eye-issue shooters go back to the machine and chase a trap bird b/c a moving gun creates less issues than one that's too static.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:53 pm 
Field Grade

sera wrote:
Anyone who says "you just need to try harder" is also a butt. You cannot try yourself into fixing this.

Truer words were never said. Until I found an article by Phil Kiner on "crossfire" and figured out what works for me, I had every "expert" telling me to shoot from my left shoulder and shoot more. Crossfire doesn't work like that.

NRA Life Member
MI Hunters Safety Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

spar: I cannot tell you how many "experts" have told me "just try harder."

I watched my friend have a detailed lesson w/ a top inst'r from the NE. Who had no idea about the eye issues. Who advertises in the magazine. Who people here praise to high heaven. What a joke.

I begged my friend to try the Dot. After much "trying harder" , my friend gave the Dot a chance and now is in AA class. My friend still uses some of the tricks learned while fighting thru the "just try harder" cr@p.

Jeez Louise.