It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Shotkam
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:40 pm 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 1354
Location: Acton, CA
So, a couple friends and I went in on a Shotkam. Luck being what it is, I get to be the one to figure it all out. The first couple times out with it seemed to go well with few issues. Today I went out and had changed some settings...It didn't work out very well. At least I got some decent footage, not nearly as much as I had hoped for. It's not perfect, mainly my shooting, but it is something to learn from...




_________________
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:45 am
Posts: 535
Very nice. Do you think the crosshairs are true to your hold point ? Seems like your gun shoots a lot higher than any of mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:36 pm 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 1354
Location: Acton, CA
McFarmer wrote:
Very nice. Do you think the crosshairs are true to your hold point ? Seems like your gun shoots a lot higher than any of mine.

Interesting comment, when doing POI shots last time out, it seemd to shoot just a little low. I can tell you it is very close to the POA.

_________________
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:05 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:48 pm
Posts: 92
are there several people using it not clear from video?

So have you worked out why you miss?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:46 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:38 pm
Posts: 36
McFarmer the aperture ( crosshairs ) are user adjustable.... you position the shotgun and aim it at a spot( I usually pick one 20 yards away but the user could pick any distance they want. Once you have the gun setup and POA is selected you then use your smartphone to move the aperture to the shotguns point of aim. How well one makes this adjustment the more one can get from its position and speed at the time of the shot.

Inshort what you see on shotkam videos are dependant on how the user settings are set up and can have little to do with if the actual gun is shooting high, low, left or right....if I set the aperture below my guns actual POI it will appear it shoots high or visa versa. Same for left or right....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:37 pm
Posts: 17308
I watched the video just once and it appeared to me that the crosshair (X) was pretty much on the expected POI. I'm not saying that the shooter put the X exactly where it should have been on every shot, but he did so on most of them.

On some of the shots, I might have put the X in a slightly different place than the OP, but overall I thought he did pretty well. He might need to stay in the gun just a little longer after taking the shot, but otherwise I thought it looked pretty good.

One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of the targets were what I call "loopers" and he shot them after they had peaked and were on their way down. If he had shot directly at them, he would likely have missed over the top (and behind). In fact, I think that's exactly what he did on one of the shots near the end.

Good video. Thanks. {hs#

_________________
Please post For Sale items in the proper Classified section.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:45 am
Posts: 535
Jim DE wrote:
McFarmer the aperture ( crosshairs ) are user adjustable.... you position the shotgun and aim it at a spot( I usually pick one 20 yards away but the user could pick any distance they want. Once you have the gun setup and POA is selected you then use your smartphone to move the aperture to the shotguns point of aim. How well one makes this adjustment the more one can get from its position and speed at the time of the shot.

Inshort what you see on shotkam videos are dependant on how the user settings are set up and can have little to do with if the actual gun is shooting high, low, left or right....if I set the aperture below my guns actual POI it will appear it shoots high or visa versa. Same for left or right....



Thanks for that. Interesting technology.

So the next question is could you use a laser bore sighter to align the cam with the bore ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:32 pm 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 1354
Location: Acton, CA
Browning Citori Guy wrote:
are there several people using it not clear from video?

So have you worked out why you miss?

No, it was just me. This was at a fun shoot and I didn't get as much video as I hoped for.
I think I'm learning equally from the hits and the misses.
Ulysses wrote:
I watched the video just once and it appeared to me that the crosshair (X) was pretty much on the expected POI. I'm not saying that the shooter put the X exactly where it should have been on every shot, but he did so on most of them.

On some of the shots, I might have put the X in a slightly different place than the OP, but overall I thought he did pretty well. He might need to stay in the gun just a little longer after taking the shot, but otherwise I thought it looked pretty good.

One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of the targets were what I call "loopers" and he shot them after they had peaked and were on their way down. If he had shot directly at them, he would likely have missed over the top (and behind). In fact, I think that's exactly what he did on one of the shots near the end.

Good video. Thanks. {hs#

From the video it's sometimes hard to tell the exact trajectory of the target. There were some loopers, but there was a good variety of presentations. Some were launched from a good distance away and I waited on them....I seem to shoot dropping targets better than raising ones...Just a D class shooter, what can I say :roll:
McFarmer wrote:
Jim DE wrote:
McFarmer the aperture ( crosshairs ) are user adjustable.... you position the shotgun and aim it at a spot( I usually pick one 20 yards away but the user could pick any distance they want. Once you have the gun setup and POA is selected you then use your smartphone to move the aperture to the shotguns point of aim. How well one makes this adjustment the more one can get from its position and speed at the time of the shot.

Inshort what you see on shotkam videos are dependant on how the user settings are set up and can have little to do with if the actual gun is shooting high, low, left or right....if I set the aperture below my guns actual POI it will appear it shoots high or visa versa. Same for left or right....



Thanks for that. Interesting technology.

So the next question is could you use a laser bore sighter to align the cam with the bore ?

I guess you could use a laser bore sighter for alignment, I'm not sure how accurate it would be.
I do as Jim DE stated...I put the bead on a target about 25yds away then adjust the reticle to that point. Doing it this way should give a good representation of the bead to target relationship.

_________________
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:03 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:38 pm
Posts: 36
Mc Farmer, I guess you could use a bore sighter but I don't think when dealing with a shotgun and various patterns they shoot it does not need to be that exact.

One word of caution and I don't know if the new model has the laser pointer or not but mine does and that should NOT be used to set the position of the aperture. It does not project exactly where the bore is pointed and only used as a indoor training guide for practicing gun swing (like swinging across the line formed by the ceiling meeting a wall). I mention this because I have met one user and saw on a online video people using this as a sighting tool for the aperture setup... it is not tone used for this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:45 am
Posts: 535
Jim DE wrote:
Mc Farmer, I guess you could use a bore sighter but I don't think when dealing with a shotgun and various patterns they shoot it does not need to be that exact.

One word of caution and I don't know if the new model has the laser pointer or not but mine does and that should NOT be used to set the position of the aperture. It does not project exactly where the bore is pointed and only used as a indoor training guide for practicing gun swing (like swinging across the line formed by the ceiling meeting a wall). I mention this because I have met one user and saw on a online video people using this as a sighting tool for the aperture setup... it is not tone used for this.



But they are used to get a rifle scope on paper, and like you say, that's close enough Shirley.

Lots of money for something that could be done with practice I suppose.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:21 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:17 am
Posts: 39
Location: Concord NC
What percent of shots are you getting? I'm only getting around 50%. Last week we shot 100 like always and it only recorded 46 shots. I've made a few adjustments. Has not helped.
Having said that, it has helped me identify a few problems.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 pm 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 1354
Location: Acton, CA
I've only had it out 3 times so far. The first time out I got about 70%. The second time it kept going into sleep mode and not wanting to wake up, ended up getting about 40%. Last time out I changed some settings, it made it worse. I got the first pair at each station then it would not stop recording and I got garbled video for the rest of the station.
From the limited video I've got so fat I have seen issues on both hits and misses. It looks like a good tool if I can get everything ironed out.

_________________
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:23 am 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:02 am
Posts: 916
I can't help with figuring out how to make it be more consistent but when you set it up and are aligning the cursor, using a bore laser will give you better info. I've been the guinea pig shooter for my coach and his ShotKam and when I showed up with the laser to get the cursor in exactly the right spot, the info we got from watching the videos was much more useful!

Here's the one I got...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T ... UTF8&psc=1

Just turn it on, stick it in the gun and point it at something and align the cursor to the laser spot. It's accurate enough that you can point it at something only a few yards away. We laid the gun on a picnic table and had the laser pointed at a tree that was 6 or 8 yards away. Once it's aligned, it'll tell you exactly where your barrel(s) were pointed when you take a shot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:43 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:45 am
Posts: 535
(Emoticon showing a can of worms being opened)

So, that begs this question. Should the crosshairs be aligned with the POA or the POI ? I would say point of aim, provided you know how that differs from the point of impact on a pattern board.

I had written off those less costly shell type lasers, but you seem to think they are adequate ? The ones I've been looking at are the $200 ones that go in the end of the barrel. Didn't care to spend that much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 484
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Somewhere I read that Gil Ash says the ShotKam should be aligned with the point of aim, but now I cannot find that.

Jim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:51 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:45 am
Posts: 535
jrmev wrote:
Somewhere I read that Gil Ash says the ShotKam should be aligned with the point of aim, but now I cannot find that.

Jim


I think that would make sense, as long as you know how that differs from the point of impact.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:37 pm
Posts: 17308
I've got one of those chamber/bore sighter devices shown in the link above and it is more than adequate in accuracy for shotgun sighting in my experience.

The POA and POI should be the same, or within 2 or 3 inches for most guns. If not, then you've got a gun problem or barrel regulation problem.

I guess what I'm saying is that it shouldn't matter which you use... either the bore sighter or aiming down the rib. Either method should be plenty close enough for the Shotkam. The exception to this would be a shotgun that is set up to shoot perhaps 80% to 100% high for trap shooting. In this case, the shooter will have to decide for himself whether he wants to adjust the Shotkam reticle to coincide with his POA or the POI.

_________________
Please post For Sale items in the proper Classified section.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:31 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:48 pm
Posts: 92
Are you hits increasing ?

if not it seem to me that the same mony spent of lesson from a good coach might be better
spend

All this set up seem hard for a point and shoot game


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:23 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:17 am
Posts: 39
Location: Concord NC
Browning Citori Guy wrote:
Are you hits increasing ?

Absolutely. I can say without a doubt that I have improved my game as a direct result of my shotkam. Its all in how you use it. It may not help everyone, however it has worked for me.

As far as setup goes, thats all done at home. Once i get to the course I never touch it after i turn it on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:44 pm
Posts: 585
Location: Durango, CO
Thanks for posting; interesting watching the video. Please keep us informed about the percentage of shots recorded issue.



_________________
"So many guns, so little time."

Blaser F3 Super Sport (12 ga.)
Browning 725 Sporting (12 ga.)
Benelli SS (12 ga.)
Browning Citori Ultra XS Sporting (20 ga.)
Browning Citori Lightning (28 ga.)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 737Mech, aleksirantonen, Bing [Bot], Brad F, Claysmoke27, DallasCMT, Dave Holmes, dickgtax, dirty girdy, doppelflinten, efriedrich1, Flyn'dutchman, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], hopemn3, Iron Giant, John Henry, Majestic-12 [Bot], Moothcaw, ShowMe2, TMair, tuf-duc, Yahoo [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
© 2017 Carbon Media Group Outdoors    - DMCA Notice