It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best O/U for $1200.00 or less ?????
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:26 am 
Field Grade

I'm shure this question has been ask a million times, but, I couldn't find the answer in the search bar. I'm looking for a 12/28 or 12/30 O/U for clays & maybe a little hunting and don't wanna spend much over 1200 dollars. I've been told by a local gun salesman that the Ruger red label is a really good way to go. I've seen the Rugers on line but haven't got to shoulder one to see how it fits & feels. I would like some in-put as to what O/U's are on the market that fit in my budget and are good quality guns that will last. THANKS, Tim

Post subject: re: Best O/U for $1200.00 or less ?????
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:58 pm 
Crown Grade

First, I wouldn't buy any shotgun before you've handled it, or at least the same model. Second, do not be afraid of used shotguns of good manufacturers like Browning, Beretta, Rizzini, SKB, and Weatherby. Good luck with your purchase.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:24 pm 
Limited Edition

The Rugers don't have a very good reputation around here.

For about half your price you can get a Lanber 2087 from CDNN. My Lanber was mistaken yesterday for a Beretta. 5 year parts and labor warranty, interchangeable chokes, 28" or 30" barrels, hi-viz sight, and great fit and finish.

I personally didn't want to risk buying a used gun since I didn't really know what to look for. I'm glad I went with the lanber: it shoots great and I'd put it up against any o/u that cost twice as much new.

Also look into veronas. Supposed to be another excellent value.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:28 pm 
Field Grade

Clay smoker, I didn't have any intention of buying any gun that I can't handle first.

Stobes21, Why don't the rugers have a good reputation "around here"??? Are there problems w/ the ruger I should know about???

Clay smoker, I looked on gun broker for used beretta,browning,SKB & Weatherby but most people want at least 2/3's of what I could get a new one for. If i'm going to pay that much for a used gun i'd just buy a new one. Any idea where to look for better prices on used guns???

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:34 pm 
Limited Edition

<b>Drum:</b> It seems that the rugers are real hit-or-miss: some will last a lifetime and never have a problem, while others can't even make it through a full box of shells without a malfunction. However, I don't own one, and the ones I've seen at the range look nice and have worked fine. Do a search for Ruger or RRL and check out the threads about them in the opinions and general forums.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:39 pm 
Crown Grade

I shoot with one guy, has some $$, could afford an F3 or something, but likes the Ruger. Says it fits him great. Shoots very well with it, and it's in beautiful shape. I looked at a used one to buy. Good deal, 30" extra chokes, jel pad on an adjustable butt plate. When I put it over my shoulder to walk out to 2, I could feel the entire back end of the gun wagging behind me like a tail. The seller said, "oh, the pin isn't worn out, they all do that." Hoo boy! Have no idea how many shells had been through it, but the linch (?) pin was shot! I don't have all that much clay experience, but that was the only gun I have ever felt do that. Sure didn't buy that one, but someone else did...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Winchester select. Check CDNN out. For 1199 it is a bargain for a great gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:48 pm 
Field Grade

What is CDNN??? :?

Post subject: Re: re: Best O/U for $1200.00 or less ?????
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:51 pm 
Limited Edition

drum817 wrote:
What is CDNN??? :?

www.cdnninvestments.com

Check them out.

Post subject: Re: re: Best O/U for $1200.00 or less ?????
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:29 pm 
Crown Grade

drum817 wrote:
Clay smoker, I looked on gun broker for used beretta,browning,SKB & Weatherby but most people want at least 2/3's of what I could get a new one for. If i'm going to pay that much for a used gun i'd just buy a new one. Any idea where to look for better prices on used guns???

2/3 of $2,000 is quite a bit of money in my book. If you buy a new one, it will only be worth 2/3 of its value in short order.

A few places worth looking are: Joel Etchen, Indiana Gun Club, HiGrade Shooters Supply, and Jaquas.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My suggestion would be a used Beretta or Browning... I'd steer as far away from the Ruger as you can.

Let me guess.. the salesguy that suggested that gun to you.... it's probably what he had in stock at that price point, right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:28 pm 
Crown Grade

The Barretta seems to have a nice package. My Browning came with one choke each...not great for an over under. The butt pad looks...and feals, like an old tire, and the whole thing comes in a very nice cardboard box! Thanks Browning. Both guns are nice, which ever feels best to you. I do like the sport guns and not haveing to take the safety off with every shot. Both guns would be around longer than...never mind.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:39 am 
Field Grade

What about Huglu O/U's http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 967353#PIC? or a browning white lightning http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=61895801

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:40 pm 
Crown Grade

From what I've heard about most Turkish stuff I'd stay away from Huglu. Browning looks OK, Lever right of center slightly. Only thing I'd try figure out is length of pull because that doesn't look like a normal recoil pad for that gun. May have recoiled too much for previous owner. I not sure, and I'm sure someone will let us know, but I believe the white lightnings are a light weight version of the Citori. That will cause a slight bit more of recoil, especially if you are shooting alot of clays.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Dutchess County, NY - the northern most county of Alabama
Regarding remarks on Huglu guns. Huglu guns from Mark DeHaan are clearly better guns than from other resellers since he gives each one of them a once over and then stands behind quality of the guns.

Note: I don't own a Dehaan and so don't have a vested interest.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:43 pm 
Field Grade

What is the general opinion about Franchi O/U's ???

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

I haven't heard anything bad about them. If you're referring to the new Renaissance, my only caution would be that they're all built on an alloy frame and are VERY light. I've swung one, it's just a tick over 6lbs in 12ga. Great for carrying, but you can be sure it will thump pretty good if you shoot any quantity of shells at clay games.

Overall, the gun looked very nice to me as far as wood, fit, and finish.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

go for a lanber 2087 or 2097!! both great guns.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a DeHaan also 20g O/U in addition to a Browning Citori and a Browning Gold. The DeHaan was about $800 and in my opinion is a good value. Nice engraving and the wood feels like silk. Check it out. Nice folks to deal with too. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:23 pm 
Limited Edition

You are better to get a good used Browning or Beretta than trying to make the budget fit for a lesser brand in an O/U. The Rugers are cheaper and I haven't owned one but I believe there is a reason for it. If you are patient and look around on line and maybe Cabelas (if you have one around) and your local gun shops, you'll find one. If it comes down to it, I would go to a good semi-auto. The budget fits and it'll do what you want.

all the best,
john