ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Simple explanation of Rules / differences
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:15 am 
Field Grade

Hi, <br><br> I'm new to this. Is there anywhere I can find a simple explanation on the differences between skeet, trap and sporting clays? What's wobble trap? Where can I find the rules fo each. Thanks. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: short explanations
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:36 am 
Global Moderator

Trap: A round of trap consists of 25 shots, five each from five stations or posts in an arc beginning 16 yards behind the trap house. After five shots at one station, you move to the next station at the puller's command of "walk."<br><br>Skeet: The targets emerge from a high house (10 feet above ground) on the left and a low house (3-1/2 feet above ground) on the right that face one another 40 yards apart. Legal skeet targets travel between 60 and 70 yards and pass 15 feet above a crossing stake set 21 yards from the shooting stations, which are arranged around an arc running from one house to the other.<br><br>A round of skeet consists of 25 shots, beginning with a high-house bird at station one, then a low house bird, then a double at one, two, six, and seven.<br><br>You shoot high and low birds beginning at station one (which is right in front of the high house) and proceed on through eight, always shooting the high house target first. To make a round of 25, you shoot an "optional," either immediately repeating your first lost bird, or, if you don't miss, shooting the last station--low 8--twice.<br><br>Sporting Clays: Whether it be the national title course at San Antonio or a small public range outside of Anytown, U.S.A., expect sporting's ever-popular "golf with a shotgun" analogy to hold true. A "round" is generally comprised of 50 targets distributed over any number of stations.<br><br>Like golf, each course takes on the character of the terrain, or tradition, in a particular area. Also like golf, where tee or pin placement has a great deal to do with a hole's degree of difficulty, the arrangement of the shooting stand relative to where the clay is launched and obstacles such as foliage or brush piles determine how tough a particular shot can be.<br><br>Clay targets and machines to throw them have been ingeniously modified for these simulations. Tiny targets called mini's hurtle high overhead, representing fleet doves. Thin, flat battues whirl away like little Frisbees, slowly turn, then drop like wood ducks careening in to feed. Resilient rabbit clays scuttle and bound along rubber mats, while targets tossed at extreme, vertical heights produce what the trade calls springing teal.<br><br>Clays can be released up to three seconds after the shooter calls "Pull!," and can be thrown in any combination, from singles to a simultaneous covey of several birds, from which the shooter must bag two. Some covey stations include an off-color target as a poison or hen bird; break that one by mistake, and a target is deducted from the score!<br><br>One club owner highlights what he calls a coot scoot, a target thrown top-side down across a pond so that it skips like a stone. Another range has their trappers feed a clay target into a wooden chute set on a hillside. The resulting skidding, sliding target is called a groundhog. Presentations are limited only by safety and the course designer's imagination.<br><br>Gunners generally walk, or ride, the course in squads, shooting in rotation so that nobody has to be first to shoot every station. <br> <p></p><i></i>

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

Post subject: skeet vs trap
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Yep! Here you go. These two links should tell you everything you need to know.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.remington.com/whatsnew/skeet/skeet.htm">www.remington.com/whatsne.../skeet.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.remington.com/whatsnew/trap/trap.htm">www.remington.com/whatsnew/trap/trap.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: wobble trap
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:03 pm 
Global Moderator

Is similar to regular trap, except that the thrower can not only oscillate left and right it moves up and down as well.<br><br>The official site are for the Amateur Trapshooting Association:<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.shootata.com/atahome.cfm">www.shootata.com/atahome.cfm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>for the ASA/NSCA:<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nssa-nsca.com/">www.nssa-nsca.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br> <p></p><i></i>

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--