ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rabbit and Other Non-standard Clay Targets
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm looking for some non-standard type clay targets. It seems to be very easy to find the standard "clay pigeon." But I've been less than successful purchasing some "mini" and "rabbit" type clay targets. If I owned a clay range or gun club, I could order a semi-truck load of rabbit and mini clays from manufacturers. ($1,000 minimum order, plus commercial truck transportation charges) That would is easy. But not being a club owner, and only wanting 8 or 10 cases of clays, I can't find a source. The distributors I found with these items in stock won't ship small quantities via UPS. I called Remington, White Flyer, and Champion. No luck with a local retailer in Central Florida. All the local clay ranges have closed down over the past couple years. I checked the Super Walmarts, Sports Authority Stores and the Bass Pro Shop without success.

Anyone know of a Central Florida retail source for mini and rabbit clays?

Thanks,
TennSquire

Post subject: Re: Rabbit and Other Non-standard Clay Targets
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/customer/home.php?cat=413

These guys carry Remington (I like the way they poof), Champion and White Flyer targets.

They will deliver to your door.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:13 am 
jlptexashunter,

Thanks for your reply. Already tried Gamaliel last week. Been ordering hunting supplies from them for years. They won't ship clays UPS. They will only ship a semi-truck order to my door. And they require a loading dock at the receiving end.

TennSquire

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:31 am 
Walmart actually carries some of them in some of the stores. Not sure what the deal is on which one does or doesn't. The ones I have seen were in a multi pack with rabbitts, battues, and midis along with some regular clays.

The thing I would try is to show up at a major shoot where Gamaliel's is going to be, call them ahead of time and tell them what you want, they haul a semi-truck of reloading goodies, shells, and a good part of the rest of the catalog so I would think a few boxes of clays shouldn't be a problem. I know folks ask them to bring the big 8#'s of powder, blocks of primers, and quantities of lead to skip the shipping and hazmat charges.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:07 am 
Diamond Grade

I get mine from wal-mart ... unless Gander is having a sale.

http://www.huntingpups.com

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:41 am 
Field Grade

It would be helpfull to know what city you live in central Florida. That way I can try to find resources in your area.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Galyans has a "combo pack" with some rabbits and battues IIRC...

Social Shooting Club Life Member
NRA Life
NSCA Life
NSCA Certified Referee

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:55 pm 
Utility Grade

sig_freak,

Not to sound smart, but I thought Central Florida had only one city. It's called the "Metropolitan Area." It runs from Kissimmee on the South, Sanford on the North, Bithlow on the East, and Clermont on the West. At present the population is approaching 2,000,000. I was born here in 1949 and every single place I hunted as a boy is now a subdivision. Every gun club and hunting lease I belonged to folded and sold their land to developers. Heck, I remember the days that I could actually eat a fish out of one of the lakes in Orlando!

Anyway, I live in Orlando. We have 4 Super Walmarts and I've been to them all; no luck. I went out to the Bass Pro Shop/Outdoor World on International Drive; no luck there either. I tried 3 different Sports Authority stores; East 50, West 50, and Sand Lake Road. I also tried Shooters Den, East Orange Shooting Sports, Shoot Straight, and Peterson's in Mount Dora. Found lots of clay pigeons. But no rabbits or mini's.

Gamaliel told me last week that they deliver semi-truck loads of clays to to Port Malibar Gun Club in Palm Bay. They suggested I contact them to see if I could "tack on" a small order to one of their truck loads. That's the option I am looking at down the road if nothing else pans out.

TennSquire

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If any WalMart has them, all WalMarts can get them - provided the Sporting Goods Manager is willing to order them. They have a "special order catalog" they can order from. Talk to the department manager at your local WalMart.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:20 pm 
Sorry TennSquire. Just not familiar with Florida much. It seems to me that your best bet is try to piggy back on someone's truck load, or buy directly from the skeet/trap club (not even sure that's an option). I was on a website that has listings of skeet/trap facilities in your area. Maybe there are some sources that you have missed (but not many by the sound of it). Good Luck.

www.claytargetsonline.com

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:22 pm 
I've yet to see any Wally-world in my area to carry rabbits, just standards. So I don't even think that ordering through Walmart would even be an option.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:53 pm 
Field Grade

I didn't realize I wasn't logged in but the last two postings were mine.

TennSquare, I have contacted Gamaliel and they gave me some contact info for a gun club in Lakeland that buys rabbits and minis from them. Now I know it's about 60 miles away but if you can't find them then stock up then you won't have to make the trap so often.

Tenoroc Shooting Center. The phone number is 863-666-2500 and ask for Mark. Tina at Gamaliel advised me that usually if you only need a few cases then the will sell directly to you or like we discussed early, piggy back on one of their orders.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Contact me. I own Polk Sporting in Haines City. I'll help you out.
863-956-6124

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:40 am 
Limited Edition

DougK80 wrote:
863-956-6124

Doug, can I assume that you realize that you've just replied to a 15 year old thread?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:07 am 
Crown Grade

TennSquire wrote:
I'm looking for some non-standard type clay targets. It seems to be very easy to find the standard "clay pigeon." But I've been less than successful purchasing some "mini" and "rabbit" type clay targets. If I owned a clay range or gun club, I could order a semi-truck load of rabbit and mini clays from manufacturers. ($1,000 minimum order, plus commercial truck transportation charges) That would is easy. But not being a club owner, and only wanting 8 or 10 cases of clays, I can't find a source. The distributors I found with these items in stock won't ship small quantities via UPS. I called Remington, White Flyer, and Champion. No luck with a local retailer in Central Florida. All the local clay ranges have closed down over the past couple years. I checked the Super Walmarts, Sports Authority Stores and the Bass Pro Shop without success.

Anyone know of a Central Florida retail source for mini and rabbit clays?

Thanks,
TennSquire

Not retail, but I bet if you contacted Dale Walker at Blackjack Sporting Clays in Sumterville, he'd probably sell you some

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:35 pm 
Crown Grade

mdlott wrote:
DougK80 wrote:
863-956-6124

Doug, can I assume that you realize that you've just replied to a 15 year old thread?

A+ for trying.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

Maybe Volusia County Skeet and Trap club would sell you some. They're in New Smyrna Beach ยท (386) 426-3061