It is currently Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sporting Clays Gun Vs. Trap Gun
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:52 pm 
Field Grade

I have recently gotten into clay sports as a teenager. I am lucky enough to be born into a big family of clay shooters. I had been shooting trap for a few months I was and still am hooked, so i bought a citori trap model, 1985 for $1245. I thought trap would be my only love until I shot my first 100 sporting clays today with my uncle, I sure did have fun! As of right now, i think i might like it more than trap. So i was wondering, what are the differences between a trap gun and a sporting clays gun? i know trap guns shoot a little high as far as POI, about 70/30, should a sporting clays gun shoot high? dead on? Could i just slap some other choke tubes on my citori and be done with it? like a skeet choke or something close to it? should a sporting slays gun be shorter than my 30" barrel citori? lighter than the Estimated 9 lbs?

Post subject: Re: Sporting Clays Gun Vs. Trap Gun
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

I suggest patterning the gun to see how high it shoots. I have an XT which shoots about 60/40, which is fine for sporting clays. You will want more open chokes. I shoot skeet and IC.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:58 pm 
Field Grade

i knew for sure that i would need looser chokes but was just wandering if there was anything else that needed changing. i bought my citori and it came with no other chokes than the ones in it which are Full and IM, which are VERY tight for sprting clays, but i think i shot about a 60 something today with those in at my first ever sporting clays shoot so i think thats pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:01 pm 
Field Grade

do you recommend shooting one choke tighter than the other, say like a skeet on the top and an light mod on the bottom, considering that i shoot top barrel first, so that i can still get the further targets, like the second pair of a double. I don't plan on being so competitive that i have to switch out choke tubes each station, at least not for awhile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It kind of depends on the course. I always shoot the bottom first and use either I/C-L/M or L/M-MOD.And I'm not a choke changer either :wink:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:06 am 
Presentation Grade

if it was me, i would just get some more chokes for your Citori for now! look in the classifelds right here, always some one selling chokes at a great price..

Last edited by tigmaned on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are actually going to shoot sporting clays , use the choke that's right for the target , not just one and then the other in an arbitrary order. The 2d bird is only the farther one 50% of the time....the other 50% , it's the closer one.

Your posts confuse me....did you shoot IM/F? Did you have the F choke in the bottom barrel? With that combination , did you ever shoot trap doubles?

What would make you think a 30 inch barrel is too long for sporting clays? Most shooters would say it's too short.

Good luck in your shooting.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:22 pm 
Field Grade

i have IM on the top and Full on the bottom, sorry im new to forums. I havent ever shot trap doubles but would be interested in trying it sometime, and probably will soon. What i was trying to get at with one choke tighter than the other is that i could have like a Skeet in the Top and like Light Mod in the Bottom and when we show the targets before actually shooting i can adjust with my barrel selection which choke i would shoot first depending on which target i wanted to take first. Meaning that if the closest target was the one i was going to take first then i would shoot the top barrel first, if it was the other way, long target first i would switch to the bottom barrel to shoot the light mod first and the closer target with the skeet choke second. And i was thinking maybe people like the shorter barreled lighter guns for sporting clays for faster swing and easier changing of direction for things like crossing targets, somewhat like skeet(which i will probably also be trying soon)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Most people shoot the bottom barrel 1st of an O/U because of the way it recoils more straight back allowing a faster second shot. The top barrel recoils both up and back and requires an extra fraction of a second to get re-aligned onto target. In trap doubles , you'd shoot IM then Full b/c the targets are going away. I'd actually shoot LM and IM , but I get on the targets very fast.

RE: Sporting-- use the choke that works for the shot......I never use skeet as I do not trust it's open patterns....the most open I shoot is Lt Mod. If you're going to have different chokes , use the one that is correct for the distance of your shot. Most top shooters have the same choke in both barrels b/c once on station after the 1st pair , you cannot change chokes and you want enough choke for both targets even if you have to let them get out a little ways or take them in a different order. I gave up three targets in a recent tournament taking the targets in the wrong order for the 1st pair(on 2 different stations).....I ended in 5th place rather than 2d place. My squad watched my dumb 1st pair selection and shot the targets , themselves, in the correct order , right away.

Only rule of choke--use enough. Don't get in a spray-and-pray habit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:51 pm 
Field Grade

thanks, i agree that i would rather have to tight of a choke than too loose. Its better to have to make up for the choke being tight with well placed shots than it is to take perfect shots and drop targets because your pattern is not tight enough. That being said im veryyyy new to sporting clays and clay shooting in general. I can tell you right now that ill be doing it as long as i can find the money to do so. I was just using a skeet choke for an example because my uncle and the other guy that i was shooting with had like skeet and light mod in their citori's(my uncle was actually shooting a 20gauge) and the third to last station was an easy double doing directly away from you in a lane in the woods(the pair were flying no further than three feet apart, maybe less). I shot last of the three at that station, my uncle went up, broke both of the sets of doubles with one shot each and also got the single, his friend did the same. I went up after and broke all of them but with five shots. I dont have a problem with breaking all of them of course its just that if that was the case with that set than how many other targets could i have broken with a looser choke?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Certain fluffy courses allow the use of skeet choke throughout. Where I shoot , that is almost never the case.

It is cool looking to clubhouse a pair...but never smart to try to do it. Don't fall for that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:18 pm 
Field Grade

I wasn't planning on trying to do it, I would never try to, although I did "clubhouse" as you called it, the first rabbit doubles. There was two rabbit stations the first was low and close together and the second was high bouncing and about six feet apart.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:29 pm 
Field Grade

Have any of you ever shot at a course with a rabbit/bird double. I think that would be a challenging and fun station.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:54 pm 
Crown Grade

browning16 wrote:
Have any of you ever shot at a course with a rabbit/bird double. I think that would be a challenging and fun station.

Yes I shot a rabbit going to the left and a right crosser. It's make you jump on the rabbit because that crosser sure going fast.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A ground rabbit and a clay are called a "fur and feathers"....and we shoot them all the time.

An air rabbit is called a chandelle.

I've even shot rabbits bounced off a trampoline or the surface of a pond.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:14 am 
Field Grade

browning16 wrote:

Fur & Feather stands are either gravy or the most frustrating station on a course.
I see them as a personal challenge not to bang my head against the post of the stand!!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:10 pm 
Field Grade

I don't think I'd be banging my head off the post for awhile yet. Not to worried about scores right now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Right now , score should be at the bottom of your list.

Start w/ stance (footwork) , look point , hold point and break point.

Learn to shoot the clays in the area that would be your sweet spot ....then go back and practice shooting them sooner and then later. This is how the top guys learn to shoot all the possible presentations.

Practice new shots....but go back and perfect shots you can break now.....break those "easy " birds 8 times in a row. This hones your mental game.

Try to shoot at different clubs , different terrain and under different conditions....this calms the normal jitters associated w/ going to a new place.

Finally , learn to shoot the various methods....this will give you more than one arrow in your quiver.

Have fun....see you in the shark tank one day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:41 am 
Field Grade

Throwback Wednesday. Had to bump this one. It was too entertaining of a read. Good advice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It would be interesting to hear from this kid to see where he is with his shooting now.

And so it goes...