It is currently Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spent Shells Rules? Noob Question!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:49 am 
Field Grade

I'm new to clay shooting and am thinking about going to a range that offers trap, skeet, and sporting clays instead of the backyard informal clay shooting on a friend's property that I typically do.

Please forgive the noob question...

What are the rules regarding spent shells and semi auto shotguns? I'm sure it varies from range to range, but what is proper etiquette? Do I pick them up after each round, does the range personal pick them up, etc.?

Is a semi auto shotgun frowned upon when it comes to clay shooting? If i truly enjoy the game, I will look into a nice O/U shotgun dedicated to clays. But for now, a semi auto will have to do.

Post subject: Re: Spent Shells Rules? Noob Question!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Best to check when you first get there, as to what the club's policy is, about picking up hulls. It is proper etiquette, when shooting trap with a SA, to install a shell catcher, to keep the shells from hitting the shooter at the next station. This is not an issue with skeet and Sporting Clays. The other shooters can stay out of the way, while they are waiting their turn. What SA are you planning on shooting?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:20 am 
Field Grade

oregunner wrote:
Best to check when you first get there, as to what the club's policy is, about picking up hulls. It is proper etiquette, when shooting trap with a SA, to install a shell catcher, to keep the shells from hitting the shooter at the next station. This is not an issue with skeet and Sporting Clays. The other shooters can stay out of the way, while they are waiting their turn. What SA are you planning on shooting?

Thanks for the reply.

My local shop has the Mossberg 930 models on sale. I've read good things about them, so that is on my radar as of now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you get the Mossberg, and plan on shooting trap, look into getting a Birchwood Casey shell catcher. It is a generic application for guns that T&S don't make a shell catcher for.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/137314 ... cher-steel

Here is the link to T&S, and the guns they fit.
http://www.tandsshellcatcher.com/Orders/index.cfm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:48 am 
Crown Grade

The trap trap shooters will definitely frown upon you for using a semi and sending shells flying by them. Stick to skeet and sporting clays then go by the range rules. Leave the trap shooting to the grumpy old men.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Only in trap does anyone care.

Are the spent shells yours? Some clubs say that any shell that hits the ground is theirs to pick up and re-sell to reloaders.

Ask in the office.

I do not reload & shoot an O/U , so I catch the ejecting shells and throw them in the bucket.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:42 pm 
Crown Grade

It's one of life's eternal mysteries that someone can hit a 4" disc, flying at 50mph and at 45yds range, yet miss a stationary 3ft bin from 18" with a couple of empties. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Halwg wrote:
Leave the trap shooting to the grumpy old men.

Now was that nice? : -)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Duke52 wrote:
Halwg wrote:
Leave the trap shooting to the grumpy old men.

Now was that nice? : -)

I'd say it's the kind of remark a "grumpy old man" would make. :shock:

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
ATA Member
USPSA Member (TY-12055)
NSCA Member

Dave Brown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Where I shoot trap the people are shooting every type of action and I can't recall anyone who objected to someone using an auto loader.

Of course, I also avoid those squads or guys who are wound too tight, and they usually squad up and don't have room for strangers anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

yeah.....what Cerberus said {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is etiquette involved in shooting trap. If you want to get along with other shooters, you should learn the etiquette. If you are shooting at a public range, with a bunch of casual shooters, that have inexpensive guns, then they might not mind. If you are shooting in competition or serious practice, with someone that is shooting a gun that costs more than your car, then you don't want to be throwing hulls at his gun.

You will also not be very popular if you put a door ding in the car next to yours in the parking lot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:29 am 
Limited Edition

As others have mentioned, in skeet and sporting clays, ejected hulls won't bother anyone since you are on the station alone. A shell catcher is proper etiquette when trapshooting with a semi-auto since in that game, shooters stand side by side and no one wants ejected hulls bouncing off them or their gun. If you decide to shoot trap doubles, just tell shoot management when you sign-up that you are using a semi-auto and other shooters can squad accordingly. Those that don't want to risk being hit by ejected hulls can choose another squad.

I recommend you try all the clay target shooting games. All are fun and all have their pros and cons. You will probably gravitate towards one discipline that you like more than the others. I can tell you that it doesn't benefit any of us to make derogatory remarks about other shooters or their particular clay target game because it isn't the one we are involved in or prefer.

Good luck and good shooting.

Last edited by prairieviper on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Birchwood Casey shell catcher cost around $12-$15 and takes all of 15 seconds to install...including un-packaging. Comes in a left hand version, also, which is what I have on my LH SA. That way, I don't have to pick my hulls up off the ground at the trap range. It helps keep the place looking decent with minimum effort on my part. So, why not?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

You have a fair chance of not offending other shooters by shooting a semi auto,you will however totally tick them off if you scurry around retrieving empties during an event.There is no time in the event or between events for this,also if they are "good" empties they usually belong to the club if they hit the ground.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Where I shoot, I never had anyone complain about my semi before I added the shell catcher. The trappers did watch out for other shooters and usually assigned me a station to the right of other shooters. I've since added a Birchwood Casey and I'm glad I did ... no issues and no second thoughts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Goater wrote:
Where I shoot, I never had anyone complain about my semi before I added the shell catcher....I've since added a Birchwood Casey and I'm glad I did ... no issues and no second thoughts
Although nobody complained before your shell catcher installation I'd be willing to bet you'll get a sincere thank you for being considerate from the same squad members when you shoot with them on the trap field, again. Plus. now you won't have the chore of picking up empties and put them in the trash bin or bucket at the trap range. {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:45 am 
Limited Edition

First time I shot trap I shot low mount and ran back to backs 24's! After each round I picked up my shells to be told I should never shoot trap low mounted. So I shot another mounted 17. The guys were much happier with me after that round. LOL Last time I was as a trap field. Now I am sure with some help I could do as most good trap shooters do with a little practice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:37 am 
Tournament Grade

hovbuild wrote:
First time I shot trap I shot low mount and ran back to backs 24's! After each round I picked up my shells to be told I should never shoot trap low mounted.

Shouldn't have listened to them. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:39 am 
Tournament Grade

Bobcat Welding wrote:
also if they are "good" empties they usually belong to the club if they hit the ground.

Nope. I brought them in, I take them home.