It is currently Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "NEW" Browning A5 for Clay Shooting?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if I am posting this in the proper place or not but we will give it a shot. I am a youth trap shooter who recently bought a BT-99 White Satin for trap shooting for SCTP shoots but now my gunclub, in order to get funding, needs to have teams shooting in Skeet and sporting clays. This has given me a bit of a problem on account my gun can only hold 1 shell. I am looking at trading it in on an autoloader that I can use for hunting and all clay shooting. I am just wondering what some of your opinions are on the New Browning A5 now that it has been out for a while. That seems to be the gun with the best fit but I am worried it wont shoot high enough for trap. Any help or incite would be great! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: "NEW" Browning A5 for Clay Shooting?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do you have the $$$ for game specific guns ? It sounds like you don't. I have been where you are. I made one gun do for whatever I was shooting....cuz I had no other choice.

I think you could make an A 5 work for you. Will it be perfect for all games ...certainly not , but til the day comes where you can have perfection and a brand new Beemer , make do w/ the gun you have.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

You could always put a comb raiser on it, like a cheekeze. That would raise your poi for trap.

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:31 am 
Diamond Grade

This is just my opinion, but I think a Silver Sporting would be a much better fit for what you're trying to accomplish.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=020B&cid=011&tid=377

Not trying to bring more "incite" than was requested, of course.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Life Member
ATA Member
USPSA Member (TY-12055)
NSCA Member

Dave Brown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:35 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

TheClayBreaker wrote:
opinions are on the New Browning A5

Not at all a good clays gun due to a crummy trigger, high recoil, and choke issues.

SX3, Maxus, Silver . . . all far better choices.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:58 am 
Utility Grade

I am definitely not able to afford anything over $1500 with college right now. I have looked at the silver, maxus and A5. The A5 seemed to have the best fit and it is inertia so it wont be as big a pain to clean. Right now I am just kinda looking for a potential replacement. Any incite is good though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:34 am 
Presentation Grade

Randy, I trust your expertise and value your reviews but how high is recoil in the A5 with target loads? Is it really that bad? I'm eyeing an A5 ultimate....I wish they made them in 30" though

Browning 725 Sporting 32"
Browning Gold "Golden Clays" 12ga
Browning Auto 5 mag 12
Remington Sportsman 48 12ga
Remington 870
Remington 1100
Tristar Viper G2
Savage 755a
Sears 66 12ga
Yildiz O/U

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:52 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

alex124485 wrote:
Randy, I trust your expertise and value your reviews but how high is recoil in the A5 with target loads? Is it really that bad?

Yes. It isn't "just" the A5, it is any 6-1/2 lb. inertia or fixed breech gun with the loads I want to shoot out of a 12 gauge: 1-1/8 oz. @ 1230 fps. They invariably stink to high heaven as compared to properly weighted clays guns, or 7-1/4 lb. or so gas guns. It isn't even close.

The original poster's BT-99 is 8-1/4 lbs. or so. Drop down to a 6-1/2 lb. inertia gun and it is invariably a very rude awakening.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You mention that one gun fits you better than another.

What are your height and weight?

How much trap shooting compared to hunting will you be doing? (I am wondering how much inconvenience a gun's weight is likely to cause.)

Author: "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition" - Gun-fitting & shooting form instruction

http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bib ... 1440362654

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I am about 5'11" 180lbs it would be split about 50/50 as far as hunting goes. During the summer I generally shoot trap 4-6 times a week and during hunting season every weekend to every other weekend I try to up for Grouse.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

your situation isn't an easy one but living within a budget until you can afford game specific shotguns is something most of us have gone thru.

You will shoot a lot more rounds on the trap field than you will walking up grouse no matter how good the hunting. I have to agree that the A5 will not be overly pleasant to shoot a lot of trap with but it will work if that is what you decide to do.

Here is a from left field suggestion for an alternate idea. Keep the BT for trap for now. Take a look at the Tristar Viper G2 Sport. this is an import gas gun offered in synthetic finish and 30 inch barrel, weights a shade over 7 pounds and list price is $609. they also make it in wood finish, slightly heavier for about $800. I know a couple of guys that own these as back up auto's for sporting and they so far like them very well. shoot pretty soft. I have shot one in 28 gauge and really liked it.

The Tristar could get you by for the interim and would work well for skeet and sporting and chasing grouse. shoot the Browning on the trap line.

when you graduate and are making the big bucks, trade both in and get something sweet......

Benelli SBE 2
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Maine Muller Mafia

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

TheClayBreaker wrote:
I am about 5'11" 180lbs it would be split about 50/50 as far as hunting goes. During the summer I generally shoot trap 4-6 times a week and during hunting season every weekend to every other weekend I try to up for Grouse.

[color=#BF0000]With your height and weight, most guns should fit you fairly well.

I agree that a lightweight gun will punish you given the amount of trap shooting you will be doing. My suggestion is to buy a considerably heavier gun, the heavier the better and think about the felt recoil reduction when trap shooting as you are carrying it when grouse hunting.

How about the classic Remington 1100" It weighs about 8 pounds and comes with either a wood or synthetic stock. The competition model has the synthetic stock with a parallel, adjustable comb. It also has a recoil reducer mechanism of some sort in the butt stock, which means that the pitch and length of the stock are difficult or impossible to change.
color]

Author: "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition" - Gun-fitting & shooting form instruction

http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bib ... 1440362654

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the help, probably just going to stick with the BT and find a gently used 1100. My coaches said we would not be shooting a whole lot of the sporting clay or skeet. Financial it's probably best for me too. Thanks again for the input!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the help, probably just going to stick with the BT and find a gently used 1100. My coaches said we would not be shooting a whole lot of the sporting clay or skeet. Financial it's probably best for me too. Thanks again for the input!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
alex124485 wrote:
Randy, I trust your expertise and value your reviews but how high is recoil in the A5 with target loads? Is it really that bad?

The original poster's BT-99 is 8-1/4 lbs. or so. Drop down to a 6-1/2 lb. inertia gun and it is invariably a very rude awakening.

Good point! Thanks

Browning 725 Sporting 32"
Browning Gold "Golden Clays" 12ga
Browning Auto 5 mag 12
Remington Sportsman 48 12ga
Remington 870
Remington 1100
Tristar Viper G2
Savage 755a
Sears 66 12ga
Yildiz O/U