CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carbon fouling on chokes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm using a Benellli Supersport, it has a 28" ported barrel and comes with extended chokes.

I've not noticed this previously but today, I shot 225 shells of those cheap Walmart Winchester Universal #8 1 1/8oz shot (comes in a case of 100) exclusively and found that there are patches of carbon fouling on my choke (Modified).

The rest of the barrel was easy to deal with as it is chrome lined. I simply sprayed with Ballistol, run a few paper towels through (the club provides free paper towel in their cleaning station), followed by a couple of pulls with the bore snake and everything is shiny clean.

The choke is another matter though, I couldn't get all the carbon out at the club's cleaning station as I didn't have all my cleaning kit with me. Had to take it home, apply Frog Lube paste and scrub it off with a nylon brush.

Does anyone else have this problem? For some reasons the carbon fouling sticks to the choke much more than the barrel. The chamber does have some but they were easily removed.

Is this because the Benelli chokes aren't chrome lined like the barrel?

Post subject: Re: Carbon fouling on chokes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have found that a cleaner for ceramic range tops works very well for cleaning carbon from choke tubes & the mag tube on semi autos.

I am using a product called Weiman Glass cook top cleaner. A little on a piece of plastic scrubber cloth removes carbon better than anything I have tried. It does not scratch however I would not use it on a blued or anodized surface.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Brake cleaner - works immediately and cleans everything off - excellent solvent. Then relube/grease and reinstall - about 30 seconds max per choke

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:06 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Zip 2000 makes a great choke tube and gas piston cleaner. Just get some and follow the directioins.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:31 pm 
Crown Grade

You mean SLIP 2000? That is a citrus-based cleaner and also works well

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Slip 2000 works great. It will eat the bluing off chokes if left to soak to look. Not an issue with SS stainless chokes, however.

Best solution, tho, is to switch to Muller chokes...ba...da...bump...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I find plain old WD40 does a great job -- 2 minute soak, run a tornado through them, wipe em off, light spray of remoil and wipe, done.

I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:12 pm 
Limited Edition

For Frog Lube to work it's best the metal needs to be clean (409 and hot water) and then warm first before applying...like put in the sun for a while or a blow dryer. I have zero issues as far as having to scrub...everything just wipes off.

P.S. Those shells will take their toll on recoil. Find a deal on some better, lighter loads.

"I instruct to break targets...I coach to compete".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:44 pm 
Limited Edition

a lite spray of "PAM" cooking spray keeps the crud from sticking to the chokes. Also The new "Q lubes" do a very good job. Spray beforehand. ...j.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Docterduck wrote:
For Frog Lube to work it's best the metal needs to be clean (409 and hot water) and then warm first before applying...like put in the sun for a while or a blow dryer. I have zero issues as far as having to scrub...everything just wipes off.

P.S. Those shells will take their toll on recoil. Find a deal on some better, lighter loads.

Thanks, I'll try treating the inside of the choke with Frog Lube for my next shoot.

Those Winchester Universals aren't too bad. When I didn't have my vest yet, after about 200 shells I do feel a little tender on the shoulder but since getting a shooting vest with a gel insert (its a Beretta Silver Pigeon, got it from the club I was shooting at), recoil has largely been a thing of the past. It might also be a result of me now mounting the shotgun better. I'm new to shotguns (just got my 1st shotgun in Oct this year) and learning to mount it properly each time I bring the gun up has quite a learning curve to it for me.

Now, when I shoot, I get tired from lifting the gun and not from being stabbed by the stock. :)

I do have about 200 rounds of Fiocchi #7.5 1oz load, 1250fps. Have those for while, I'll try those out too for my next trip since I've replace the recoil pad with a thinner one to reduce the LOP.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:50 am 
Utility Grade

I shoot B&P shells in my Beretta O/U. The reduced recoil is noticeable to me and they seem to pattern great and burn clean. They are more expensive though, so I periodically shoot my Weatherby semi-auto, which is a very soft shooting gun, with the Walmart specials. I try to avoid the Winchester and get Federal when I can. The Winchesters don't always cycle properly in the SA even with the light piston, and I have found quite a few bulged shells. Heck, half the time, Winchesters wont even eject properly from my Beretta. I am not the only one who has noticed this with the Walmart Winchesters. Most of the folks at my club who have used them have more problems with them than any other shell out there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:50 am 
Field Grade

Buy better Chokes too. I have Mullers, and they clean easily. Buy choke tube cleaner, and every 500 or so shells, soak them in choke Cleaner.
Don't use Balistol for your shotgun barrel. Buy Hoppes #9 Bore Cleaner
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:53 am 
Field Grade

Raven2 wrote:
I shoot B&P shells in my Beretta O/U. The reduced recoil is noticeable to me and they seem to pattern great and burn clean. They are more expensive though, so I periodically shoot my Weatherby semi-auto, which is a very soft shooting gun, with the Walmart specials. I try to avoid the Winchester and get Federal when I can. The Winchesters don't always cycle properly in the SA even with the light piston, and I have found quite a few bulged shells. Heck, half the time, Winchesters wont even eject properly from my Beretta. I am not the only one who has noticed this with the Walmart Winchesters. Most of the folks at my club who have used them have more problems with them than any other shell out there.

I absolutely agree with you. I have a Beretta 686, and I avoid the Winchesters. Spend the extra $2.00 and get the Walmart Federal value Packs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:56 am 
Field Grade

grins60 wrote:
Slip 2000 works great. It will eat the bluing off chokes if left to soak to look. Not an issue with SS stainless chokes, however.

Best solution, tho, is to switch to Muller chokes...ba...da...bump...

I have Mullers, and I also use Slip 2000

It gets the melted plastic off of the choke tubes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FYI, SLIP can discolor the Muller ceramic coating and turn it from black to grayish.

I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:13 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Brake cleaner - works immediately and cleans everything off - excellent solvent. Then relube/grease and reinstall - about 30 seconds max per choke

+ 1 for brake cleaner