CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Helice (ZZ Birds)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:46 am 
Utility Grade

I was curious why there is not a forum or sub-forum for Helice?

Post subject: Re: Helice (ZZ Birds)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:12 am 
Crown Grade

Most likely not enough folks shooting that are on here.

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sarge: I encourage you to get Jay to add a helice forum. I've shot helice about 10-12 times over the years. Mostly b/c I am at least 3 hrs from any place where I can shoot the game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I L O V E it, and it's getting a lot more popular locally. I shoot it recreationally about once per month with a great group of guys. Last year, we shot a few local tournaments. This year, we have a small tourney first Sunday of every month in Stockton, and now another has been added at a great guy's ranch the third weekend each month, so I now have more opportunity to shoot it. Only downside is I have to work it in between the conflicts with my sporting schedule, to which I give priority...

My suggestion is that if Jay adds a forum, it be "Helice & Flyer" (live pigeon) shooting, as most of the guys I know do both -- ZZ's originally being devised as an "inexpensive" way to practice for live pigeons. Thus the equipment, gun set-up and tactics for both are reasonably similar...

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:13 pm 
Crown Grade

USHA shows you have 4 clubs in the northern CA area:

Coon Creek Trap & Skeet Club
www.cooncreektrap.com
5393 Waltz Rd, Lincoln, CA 95648
Google Maps: Coon Creek Trap & Skeet Club
Phone: 916-539-8544 | Fax: n/a
E-Mail: n/a

Coyote Valley Sporting Clays
www.coyoteclays.com
1000 San Bruno Ave, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
Google Maps: Coyote Valley Sporting Clays
Phone: 408-778-3600 | Fax: n/a

Martinez Gun Club
www.martinezgunclub.net
900 Waterbird Way, Martinez, CA 94553
Google Maps: Martinez Gun Club
Phone: 925-372-9599 | Fax: 925-229-1886

Stockton Trap and Skeet Club
www.stocktontrapandskeetclub.com
4343 N Ashley Ln, Stockton, CA 95215
Google Maps: Stockton Trap and Skeet Club
Phone: 209-931-6803 | Fax: 209-931-6803
E-Mail: stocktonclays@att.net

I shot some when I lived in northern NV over the hill. Don't think anyone has a set up there any more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the responses. I have read about it and recently found out there is a new shooting club about 2 hours away with two Helice fields and registered shoots. Would like to get an idea on equipment, guns, loads, etc., and give it a try but, haven't found much information. I gathered this is a small corner of shotgunning, I'm assuming mainly due to few places to shoot. I talked to the owner of the new venue, he said that he tried it in Dallas and it was the most fun with a shotgun he had. Was surprised there wasn't a forum here because this site seems to cover everything in the shotgun world thoroughly. Maybe a poll to see if there is enough interest on here to have a forum? What say you?
Sarge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Any gun capable of two shots. Gun can be held anywhere from low mount to premount. 1oz 7.5 is the largest load (same as FITASC)

You can see layouts and rules here:

http://ushelice.com/about.htm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

one oz loads of 7.5's at 1250-1300fps.

Tight chokes IM and Full.

Almost as fun as live pigeons and easier on the wallet and shoulder (1.25 ozs is the std pigeon load).

For people who like to keep moving it can be slow ,with just 2 rings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sera... best I've seen in our area was 1 in 100 last year....wonder if they make any money
on the set up ? I suspect the set up cost a bunch....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ZZ course costs $$$ to set up. Newest machines are pretty impressive, automatically randomize and have 50-target magazines, so you don't need to hire a bird-boy to reload, but you need to spend about $25K to get a full field, 5-macine set up with auto randomizer launcher.

I am fortunate I get to shoot it almost as often as I like at very local places. FWIW, Coyote's field is private invite only, but I am on that invite list. Stockton, Martinez and JT ranch are close by too. I did not know Coon Creek had a ZZ field, but I know an instructor there so will ask him about it next local shoot I see him at.

Regardless, I reco that every one of you who has an opportunity to shoot Helice, try it at least once. You'll know right away if you're gonna be hooked or take a pass. Oh, and FWIW, it is clearly T H E most difficult shotgun game I have ever shot period, harder than flyers, harder than bunker. I've been in the money tying for 1st only shooting a 21/30 on a tough day.

And then if you really like it, you get sick enough to build up a gun dedicated to it :D

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:07 am 
Crown Grade

I've never lived even close to a Helice range. I never had a chance to try it. I suspect that's the reason why so few shooters do it.

And that's why it isn't really more popular.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That and it costs about $60 to shoot 30 targets...

617422, I like K guns

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pigeons go for $360 for 30 around here , plus the compulsory bet (usually $150-200).

ZZ's are harder , cuz there are no easy ones like you'll get w/ pigeons.

As I recall , the old (one at the time ) machines cost about $ 11 thou for a 5 machine set up. The newer semi-auto self-loaders are at least 2x that. That'll buy you 4 nice elec traps that don't have to be reloaded til you've shoot 300+ targets.

Like w/ pigeons , they are easy to hit and hard to kill. Wear your big boy pants or you'll be sad. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sera wrote:
ZZ's are harder , cuz there are no easy ones like you'll get w/ pigeons.

Like w/ pigeons , they are easy to hit and hard to kill. Wear your big boy pants or you'll be sad. 8)

Zactly! :lol: And choke up -- I use IM/F to LF/XF -- separating the witness cap takes a lot of pellets, as does stoning a flyer. I've blown both wings off a ZZ and had the cap hit the ground with the ring still on it -- lost bird.

617422, I like K guns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:47 am 
Presentation Grade

I considered buying one for our skeet club. Finally contacted a distributor, he was going to Europe soon and could bring back a single machine for $5000.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The machines have to be able to spin the birds at 5000 rpm (maybe more , I can't recall)....have to be armored and the cables from the controller to the machines have to be protected , too.

It is not a simple undertaking.

BUT, the .5 of a second that you have to shoot is about the most exciting .5 sec you can have w/ your clothes on. Those little contraptions are screaming for the out-of-bounds fence and any hesitation is a "lost" bird.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

railroad wrote:
I considered buying one for our skeet club. Finally contacted a distributor, he was going to Europe soon and could bring back a single machine for $5000.

Pass around a collection plate. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For $25K, you can set up a fully automated, magazine-fed, wireless operation 5 box ZZ parcours. Targets will run you about $1.40 each if you buy them in bulk. You can charge $2.00 to $2.50 per target, so it takes some time to pay off the machines; it isn't going to be a big money-maker till you build a following and start throwing tournaments.

But, a cheaper entry is available since many of the places throwing it are upgrading to these newer magazine fed machines. So you can find a used older style, hand-loaded ZZ machine parcours set with controllers complete for probably around $10K. Nothing wrong with these, take the same size course, but need to be hard-wired, line-powered and need a bird-boy/loader to reload after each shooter.

617422, I like K guns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:17 pm 
Crown Grade

You must be talking about these machines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L4k9R1pAyc

Watch out with the music, the video has a heavy-thumping techno music background

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, that's one of the two newer magazine systems available -- one is Italian and not sure where the other is made, but they both operate similarly.

617422, I like K guns