CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Muller chokes for hunting
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

Anyone ever used their Muller chokes for hunting?

I know their website says to not use with steel shot larger than #7, but don't see anything mentioned about lead hunting loads in larger sizes (#4, #5, #6 etc..). Placed several emails and a few phone messages, but evidently they don't believe in returning calls or replying to emails.

Last edited by birdshooter on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Muller chokes for hunting
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yep, just today. they did just fine. Started the morning dove shoot with my Nova pump Muller U2, about 9 am switched to U3. Limited out had a great time. 1oz, #7.5 loads

Know Guns --- Know Peace --- Know Safety
No Guns --- No Peace --- No Safety

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

fungunner wrote:
Yep, just today. they did just fine. Started the morning dove shoot with my Nova pump Muller U2, about 9 am switched to U3. Limited out had a great time. 1oz, #7.5 loads

But have you shot anything larger (#4, #5, #6 etc..)?

Thinking about using them this fall for Pheasant.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am going to use mine in my 20 for pheasant with hard lead 6's. Jim says you can use steel up to 7's in them, so I figure hard 6's cannot be much trouble. He is also getting ready to release some hunting chokes specifically designed for larger shot.

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:35 am 
Diamond Grade

JacksBack wrote:
I am going to use mine in my 20 for pheasant with hard lead 6's. Jim says you can use steel up to 7's in them, so I figure hard 6's cannot be much trouble.

That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. Lead is lead and if they are as strong as he claims they are (ballistic aircraft grade aluminum) I would think they should be able to handle all lead shot regardless of size??

But... I can't seem to get an answer from them as they don't return calls or emails... {F*

Quote:
He is also getting ready to release some hunting chokes specifically designed for larger shot.
I think those are being designed specifically for larger steel/non-tox shot. Waterfowl chokes as he calls them. I heard through the grapevine that these chokes will be made of Stainless?? not sure, but if that is true they will undoubtedly be heavier.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

birdshooter wrote:
That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. Lead is lead and if they are as strong as he claims they are (ballistic aircraft grade aluminum) I would think they should be able to handle all lead shot regardless of size??

I am no shot-ballistics expert, but I cannot imagine there is a significant difference in the shot column compressibility as it passes through the choke between common hunting sizes of lead shot, especially considering it's wrapped in a wad as well.

And it's not like we're shooting hundreds of rounds at pheasants -- I'll be disappointed in my shooting if I need much over 2 boxes to fill a 40-bird card this season :lol:

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

birdshooter wrote:
fungunner wrote:

But have you shot anything larger (#4, #5, #6 etc..)?

Thinking about using them this fall for Pheasant.

#6 will be the largest for me. Shoot them in the head, 6's and 7.5's will kill them dead.

Know Guns --- Know Peace --- Know Safety
No Guns --- No Peace --- No Safety

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

JacksBack wrote:
And it's not like we're shooting hundreds of rounds at pheasants -- I'll be disappointed in my shooting if I need much over 2 boxes to fill a 40-bird card this season :lol:

Jack, that shouldn't be too hard since all you California guys have to shoot out there are those tame roosters that politely get up at your feet all the time. :mrgreen:

Come on out to the Dakota's in late November and we'll make sure you use up your 2 box limit and then some to fill your quota. :wink: Just kiddin.

Here's where i saw the bit on his waterfowl chokes: http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/show ... ght=muller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For the record, "Ballistic Aluminum" is a made up term by Muller. There is no such thing unless he's invented a new alloy that no one in the Aerospace industry has heard of yet.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:22 am 
Diamond Grade

Actually got to talk to somebody from their shop and was told that in fact they DON'T recommend using anything larger than #6 lead with their standard chokes. The new "Waterfowl" chokes will be made of stainless and able to handle all types of shot up to #2.

Something else I thought was interesting was he stated the ceramic coating not the choke geometry was the major factor in their chokes pattern uniformity.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

birdshooter wrote:
Actually got to talk to somebody from their shop and was told that in fact they DON'T recommend using anything larger than #6 lead with their standard chokes. The new "Waterfowl" chokes will be made of stainless and able to handle all types of shot up to #2.

Something else I thought was interesting was he stated the ceramic coating not the choke geometry was the major factor in their chokes pattern uniformity.

That is actually incorrect. Any size lead shot may be used, nothing larger than #6 steel. That's straight from Jim Muller.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

Which choke are you talking about? A Waterfowl choke that isn't capable of handling anything larger than #6 steel is not going to sell my friend. Either way, Jim better school his staff so they all have their stories straight.

I'm just surprised you actually got thru to anyone. :o Many of us on this forum have sent emails, called and very few ever get a reply. Since last September it's as if they dropped off the face of the earth. No mention on the website about their Waterfowl chokes that were to be unveiled last September. I wouldn't buy them now even if they did come out. You snooze you lose.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:26 am 
Tournament Grade

birdshooter wrote:
Which choke are you talking about? A Waterfowl choke that isn't capable of handling anything larger than #6 steel is not going to sell my friend. Either way, Jim better school his staff so they all have their stories straight.

I'm just surprised you actually got thru to anyone. :o Many of us on this forum have sent emails, called and very few ever get a reply. Since last September it's as if they dropped off the face of the earth. No mention on the website about their Waterfowl chokes that were to be unveiled last September. I wouldn't buy them now even if they did come out. You snooze you lose.

I don't disagree with you in that regards...Their customer service is terrible. Not to mention production timelines. It seems pretty stupid to me to not hop on and establish themselves when they have all of this internet buzz to capitalize on!!

"Featherlight" Chokes - the ones that are out currently - can handle any size shot in lead. I asked him specifically about #4 and #6 for pheasant, because I didn't want to spend money on different chokes to hunt with and shoot sporting with. He said they have thousands of rounds in these sizes in the Dakota's and Argentina.

They don't recommend anything larger than #6 in steel.

Waterfowl Chokes - will handle obv. normal waterfowl steel sizes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:09 am 
Tournament Grade

I use them regularly for hunting with shot size up to 5, shot 100s of rounds so far with no issue, not to mention the 1000s of rounds at skeet and SC.
l see no difference be it for live game or targets if the choke is good its good.

Granted steel is a very different matter, in that case l am not using my field guns or those l use at the range and would not bother to use mullers for that purpose anyway.

I agree also that the customer service is lacking

D