It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Citori CX 30" or 32" barrel?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:50 pm 
Field Grade

Going to get A Citori CX tomorrow, Trying to decide if the 32" barrel would have A benefit over the 30" Model. Weight isn't an issue, Only 3oz heavier. Plus I prefer A heavier gun.
This will be my primary Sporting Clays gun, Maybe A round of Trap once in A while. I don't shoot skeet.

Suggestions appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Citori CX 30" or 32" barrel?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

kirk2022 wrote:
Going to get A Citori CX tomorrow, Trying to decide if the 32" barrel would have A benefit over the 30" Model. Weight isn't an issue, Only 3oz heavier. Plus I prefer A heavier gun.
This will be my primary Sporting Clays gun, Maybe A round of Trap once in A while. I don't shoot skeet.

Suggestions appreciated.

Three ounces doesn't make much difference in TOTAL weight, but an extra 3 ounces at the muzzle end of the gun makes a considerable difference in feel, balance, and swing. To get an idea of how much difference, just pick up a similar gun to what you're considering and handle it (mount, swing, point, etc) for a few minutes.

Then take a couple of loaded 12 gauge shells (1 1/8 ounce loads work fine) and tape them to the end of the muzzle. This will closely approximate adding 3 ounces to the muzzle end of the gun.

Now take the gun with the two loaded shells taped to the muzzle and swing it around for a minute or so. This should give you an idea of the difference in feel that an extra 3 ounces on the end of the muzzle makes.

BTW, I'd suggest the 30" barrels. Yeah, there will be a few who come on here and tell you that you're not really a man unless you shoot 32" barrels and other similar garbage, but I prefer to make my own decisions.

In some of the upper bracket guns, the 32" barrels will have better resale value than the 30" guns, but in the price range you're considering, buy what works for you.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:13 am 
Diamond Grade

Handle them both, if possible shoot them, and get the one YOU like the feel of best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:49 am 
Tournament Grade

I was able to shoot both of these with my son recently when fitting him for new hardware. We both felt like the 32" wasn't well balanced and affected his swing.

He shoots skeet, trap, wobble and SC in prep of the 4H tourney season and it is serving him really well.

Richmond, VA / Conservation Park

ZOLI Z Sport
Verona LX-980 (ZOLI Kronos)
Browning Citori Lightning

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:03 am 
Limited Edition

I have a 32" and wish I would have bought the 30". Too much mass out front for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have basically the same gun in its prior form crossover target.

i elected to buy the 30" because I preferred the feel and balance. I also at the time of purchase was considering full lenght Briley inserts for sub gauge. I ended up buying Sidekick short inserts but still feel convinced the 30" was the right choice for me.

Benelli SBE 2
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

The reason they offer them in different barrel lengths is because shooters have their preferences, based either on actual handling characteristics, hype, or trends. Some prefer the balance at the hinge and some prefer a muzzle heavy feel. Some may want a certain barrel length because that is what most of their buddies shoot or what the "top shots" shoot or what most people here prefer. If you are taking a poll, I also shoot Brownings O/Us and my preference is for barrels no longer than 30" for skeet and SC.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:54 am 
Field Grade

Well after handling both, and with the fact that I will be adding A 4 way SPS adjustable Butt
plate I went with the 32" model. I prefer A long LOP (15 1/4") Tall and skinny here.
Plus my trap gun is A 1100 comp syn which is slightly barrel heavy. After I add the SPS I think it will be just right, with minimal adjustment to get comfortable with the gun.

Thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:01 am 
Presentation Grade

kirk2022 wrote:
Well after handling both, and with the fact that I will be adding A 4 way SPS adjustable Butt
plate I went with the 32" model. I prefer A long LOP (15 1/4") Tall and skinny here.
Plus my trap gun is A 1100 comp syn which is slightly barrel heavy. After I add the SPS I think it will be just right, with minimal adjustment to get comfortable with the gun.

Thanks for the replies.

Good choice. If you can handle the 1100 Comp. Syn., you should have no problem with a 32" CX. I own a 32" Browning XS Special and formerly owned the 1100 com syn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:12 am 
Crown Grade

I think you made a wise choice.

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
ATA Member
USPSA Member (TY-12055)
NSCA Member

Dave Brown

Post subject: Citori CX 30" or 32
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:27 am 
Utility Grade

Id not spend the time and money to find out if its possible. The newer Citori models are much better overall in a number of ways.

In my opinion, the most important one is the overall improvement in how accurately the newer barrel sets have been assembled and regulated for a mutual POI and better accuracy since the mid-1980s. the 1st model Citori guns sometimes left something to be desired in this respect. Some of them were pretty bad. This seemed to be especially true in the smaller gauge guns.

Citori barrel sets are not interchangeable. Never have been. Each barrel block is fitted to an individual action block and both are given a specific serial number at the factory. Only those Citori models which have two, three, or four barrel sets have multiple barrels fitted and serialized to a specific action block. These sets are not interchangeable w/ other action blocks either.

Further, the Citori has gone through at least three minor design modifications since it was first introduced in the early 1970s. Newer barrel blocks will not fit the 1st model action blocks.

It might be possible to find and have a 1st model set of barrels fitted to the action block in question if the tolerances of that individual barrel block will allow it. But there are no guarantees. Also, finding a set of 1st model 20 ga. barrels in good condition will be difficult at best.

I wish you luck if you decide to go ahead w/ this project. I believe you will need lots of it.

Post subject: Re: Citori CX 30" or 32
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:04 pm 
Crown Grade

BradLuh wrote:
Id not spend the time and money to find out if its possible. The newer Citori models are much better overall in a number of ways.

In my opinion, the most important one is the overall improvement in how accurately the newer barrel sets have been assembled and regulated for a mutual POI and better accuracy since the mid-1980s. the 1st model Citori guns sometimes left something to be desired in this respect. Some of them were pretty bad. This seemed to be especially true in the smaller gauge guns.

Citori barrel sets are not interchangeable. Never have been. Each barrel block is fitted to an individual action block and both are given a specific serial number at the factory. Only those Citori models which have two, three, or four barrel sets have multiple barrels fitted and serialized to a specific action block. These sets are not interchangeable w/ other action blocks either.

Further, the Citori has gone through at least three minor design modifications since it was first introduced in the early 1970s. Newer barrel blocks will not fit the 1st model action blocks.

It might be possible to find and have a 1st model set of barrels fitted to the action block in question if the tolerances of that individual barrel block will allow it. But there are no guarantees. Also, finding a set of 1st model 20 ga. barrels in good condition will be difficult at best.

I wish you luck if you decide to go ahead w/ this project. I believe you will need lots of it.

Welcome to Shotgun World!

I think you must have misunderstood the original poster's question. He was simply wondering whether he should purchase a new shotgun model (Citori CX) with the 30" barrels or with the 32" barrels. He ultimately decided on the longer (32") barrels.

Looking forward to your future posts.

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
ATA Member
USPSA Member (TY-12055)
NSCA Member

Dave Brown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:31 pm 
Field Grade

Not looking to interchange barrels. Was just making barrel length decision. Had the new Citori at the trap club once already. shot 2 21s and A 23, heading out tonight, its A bit warmer so I'll see how it does tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I went from 28" barrels to a CX with 32" barrels and absolutely love it.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark