ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilla
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:44 am 
Tournament Grade

I have mulled this decision for about a month now and each time I decide to do it I pull back, so those who gave them , are they worth the money? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Pilla
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In a word, ABSOLUTELY!

If I lost mine today, I would have another set on its way to me via overnight FedEx. While color is personal, my 3 lenses for sporting would be 50 RHC red-orange my all-around favorite, 92 HC pale yellow-green for low light/heavy overcast, and either 45 Max Orange or 44N purple -- the Max is similar to the 50RHC but pops orange targets a bit more, the Purple pops the yellow-green targets and definitely abates glare in really bright lower angle light -- but admittedly, more and more I just leave the 50 RHC's on for either as it does a good job with both too. If you hunt, I would also get a 72 HC med yellow, it's a great all-around field lens for fall bird conditions.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

Bought and sold 3 sets of rangers. All good glasses but lost money each time. Finally got some pilla
Wish I would have started with them.

For what paid on the last set of rangers and money I lost on prior pairs I would have been bettered off buying pilla up front

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:31 am 
Utility Grade

It all just boils down to personal preference. I have had all of them and am a dealer for one of them. I wanted a set of pella's and purchased a set of them, while I liked the colors I just couldn't get used to the glasses. I sold mine (not at a loss mind you) and have stuck with something else.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here's something you may consider,I just got a pair of Ranger Phantoms (was using the Ranger Edge's) and the lenses that come with them are made by Zeiss,according to others they aren't the Pilla Zeiss but after talking to some others that have used both they could see that the Pilla's were a bit better but not 800.00+ better.

The Phantoms are a step up from the Edge's not a HUGE step but a step up none the less. And for 149.00 for the Phantom's hard to beat :)

The Ranger Falcons also use Zeiss lenses and guessing they may be the same as the Phantoms.Very pleased with mine and like the Med HD over the Purple and next Spring there are to be some more colors offered for the Phantoms.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:49 am 
Limited Edition

My Pilla's are prescription and they are worth the money. Call Granny listed below, she is a great help!

www.woolleyshooting.com
www.triggersportsintl.com
Muller Mofia
Pilla Glasses call Granny www.pmsfirearms.com
http://silverbulletgunoil.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 am 
Presentation Grade

$2300 for glasses? Are you kidding me? I've got Decot RX glasses and am really happy w/them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:59 am 
Crown Grade

HiDefSpecs is what I have but I understand Pilla now owns them. Like an above poster. If I lost them I would replace them with the Pillas in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

VHart51 wrote:
$2300 for glasses? Are you kidding me? I've got Decot RX glasses and am really happy w/them.

Not sure where you got that price??? I have bought two different 3-lens Outlaw X-6 sets and paid on the order of $800 shipped for them with a case. So yes, they are expensive, but they are not anywhere near $2300 unless perhaps you buy a 12-lens Magneto set...

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:24 am 
Presentation Grade

I went to their website, I'm sure it was in English (United States) maybe it was in Lira or Pounds? But your price seem to be what I was told ~$800.00 +/- in American dollars.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think it's finally time to buy my first set of Pillas. I'm leaning to Outlaw X6. I like tints that dampens green and highlight orange (red-green deficiency). After reading some information about Pilla lenses I'm planning to pick a set of 18 RHC, 45 MAX and 69 MWN. Anyone familiar with those tints? Would you recommend some other lenses?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:17 pm 
Crown Grade

For me the light purple 44N or 66N, kill the green background.

I'm not familiar with the colors listed

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hopper810 wrote:
Here's something you may consider,I just got a pair of Ranger Phantoms (was using the Ranger Edge's) and the lenses that come with them are made by Zeiss,according to others they aren't the Pilla Zeiss but after talking to some others that have used both they could see that the Pilla's were a bit better but not 800.00+ better.

The Phantoms are a step up from the Edge's not a HUGE step but a step up none the less. And for 149.00 for the Phantom's hard to beat :)

The Ranger Falcons also use Zeiss lenses and guessing they may be the same as the Phantoms.Very pleased with mine and like the Med HD over the Purple and next Spring there are to be some more colors offered for the Phantoms.

Just note that the Phantom frames are not for people with large heads. I needed the 72mm frames and ended up getting the Falcon Sport. If the Phantoms had fit, I would have a pair.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been shooting the Outlaw X6s for about a month now. I was shooting the Falcon Pros and while they are GREAT glasses for the price, they aren't Pillas.... I'd NEVER go back... My primary lens is the 18RHC. I use that 80% of the time. I also have the 50RHC if it's not as bright. I LOVE that color tint. For a grayer sky, I go to 62HCW. I'd HIGHLY recommend the RHC color. You won't be disappointed... Buy the Pillas and never look back.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have used Pilla shooting glasses for the past 7 years and for me they are worth the money. Been using the Outlaw X6 with their Rx insert for the past three years. Just added a new Outlaw X6 Progressive four lens set with frame. Really liking the progressive lenses. Now have two frames , so can switch quickly by just moving the RX insert between two pairs of lens and frames. Only issue I have with my Pilla's is the RX insert scratches the lens where the outer edges of the insert frame contacts the lens surface due to the Outlaw X6 curved lenses. Hate to add what I have in lens and what I have spent with Pliia over the years. Lots of folks I shoot with started with Rangers and all have moved to Pilla's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

clays&game wrote:
I think it's finally time to buy my first set of Pillas. I'm leaning to Outlaw X6. I like tints that dampens green and highlight orange (red-green deficiency). After reading some information about Pilla lenses I'm planning to pick a set of 18 RHC, 45 MAX and 69 MWN. Anyone familiar with those tints? Would you recommend some other lenses?

If you are younger and/or are more light-sensitive, then get the darker 18RHC's -- if you are older and/or not as light-sensitive, get the medium 50RHC. Note the advantage of weaker tints for older shooters is it allows more light to pass which in turn causes the pupils to contract more and this in turn increases depth-of-field, which gives us better close-to-far focus. Darker tints allow the pupils to remain more open and there is a loss of depth-of-field...

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:19 am 
Tournament Grade

Dear Clays&Game,

Saw your post and wanted to tell you that I'm selling my Outlaw 6 Pilla lenses to replace them with Outlaw 7's with different tints. My 6's have these four lenses: 76HC, 44ED, 38MAX and 26ED. They come with the forked carbon fiber frame and Pilla's metal carrying case. I spoke with Phillip Pilla this morning and he said what I have sells for $1,268 (not. incl. tax & shipping). I'll sell my complete set for $1,000, shipping included. They're in great shape. If you're interested p.m. me or, preferably, email me at [email protected]

Best,
Bill Laven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'll put it this way - I got a pair of Pilla Sebrings a while back. I don't wear them much because I find them cumbersome and uncomfortable. I wear Decots now, and they are more comfortable, but the lens quality doesn't hold a candle to the PIllas. Yes they are expensive, and that's the main reason I went to the Decots for now, but when/if budget allows, I could easily see myself in a set of Pillas that is comfortable and fits. I've just never looks through better lenses. Value? That's your call - if you've got the cash, they definitely don't suck :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:00 am 
Field Grade

One thing I am noticing now is the older I get the more I move to higher light transmission lenses..... If I go below say 44's I fight to see clays in many presentations(I am not that good of a shot to recover effectively from delayed target acquisition). I am more and more just dealing with brightness and glare to see clays better and sooner. 44's are is low as I go with 58's-66's being more my goto light transmission lens preference.

Anyone else finding this as they age .....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:34 am 
Diamond Grade

I wish my wife would get a pair but just can't get here to see the value quality shooting glasses. I think Christmas is coming via Pilla.