ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pilla
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:04 pm 
Field Grade

I am waiting till I can get to a Pilla vendor display at a near by shoot to try on all the frames and the various lens shades and tints. I have a V25 HDS pair of glasses right now but they are just too dark for me anymore. I tend to buy and use one pair of glasses in one tine and just use them no matter what the conditions. Just like me and chokes..... I see guys changing shells, chokes, and glasses station to station at M&M and do well but then I see guys change nothing and shoot as well. In my old age I shoot for fun and rarely change anything more than shot size.

My guess right now is a Pilla Panther x7 no post in 44ED or 58ED as my next pair

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Well, I've taken the plunge. The 580 with prescription lenses (3 sets), super comfortable. Yes, the inserts may have made more sense (if that really applies when spending on these things) but the last thing I want in the back of my mind when shooting is gee those 580's were just a bit more comfy :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:47 pm 
Utility Grade

You can't replace the value of seeing the target, and I can sometimes see my shot move down the range when I shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bought a kit of 18HRC, 44N and 69MWN. Have not been able to test them as much I'd like to yet. Tried the 69MWN last weekend when it was raining. The picture was clear and sharp but I think I would have prefered a lense providing more light to my eyes. Need some more range time to see how they will perform in different conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I held off 2 years to get them,I kick myself for not doing it sooner....The Rangers I had were nice, but do not come even close to the Pilla. I found a set on Ebay for 600.00 { A STEAL} that let me pick 3 colors, which I got 18 rhc ,45 max and 60 hc. I promptly bumped up 2 classes in NSCA in 2 months. These colors REALLY helped my 62 year old eyes see the target more clearly. If I were to loose them, I would not hesitate a second to buy another set at any expense. I will most likely experiment with a color or two more. "PULL''

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Quick update as my prescription 580's arrived the other week, turned up on the Tuesday snuck in a single round of skeet on the Wed arvo for a 25/25.

That was my first 25 for maybe 6-7 months so very happy with the investment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:38 am 
Tournament Grade

I've found that 18 RHC works pretty well for me. It pops out orange target well against green/brown backround. Today it also popped out extremely well out pieces of broken orange targets on snow. I was not able to see those pieces at all without my glasses :shock: The weather today was pretty cloudy so I was thinking if 50 RHC would have been even better in those conditions. I also tried 44N and 69 MWN but they did not give as good contrast as 18 RCH even they allow more light to pass through.

Anyone having both 18 RCH and 50 RHC to compare them? If it works like 18 RCH but is more suitable for cloudy days it could be my go to lense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Really like my 50 RHC but it is a bit bright for sunny days... felt at the time I ordered that the 18RCH was too dark. May end up splurging for it down the road. Have 50RHC, 58ED, and 94HC.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bought 50 RHC also. I'm very pleased the way it performs with my eyes (red/green issues). I compared 50 RHC to 69MWN and it seems that 50 RHC is as good as or even better when shooting in low light conditions. The picture is sharp and orange targets pop up nicely. Now if I only could find a tint for very dark conditions that's all I need in addition to 18 RCH for bright light and 50 RHC for normal use.

I'm afraid I have no use for 44N and 69MWN. Or is there a chance that 44N could be better in summer when there is green everywhere?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:13 am 
Tournament Grade

Still have the same problem. Both 18 and 50 RHC work very well for me. However, when there is not enough light for 50 I don't have a good lense to use. I have 69 MWN but it does not work like those RHC tints do. I think I'll sell my 44N and 69 MWN and try to find something else. Is there similar lighter tint compared to those RHC lenses?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My current goto lenses for my eyes are:

Normal mixed light -- 52 HC or 50RHC -- RHC is a little better on nulling glare, HC offers a bit better definition

Glary mixed light -- 44N.

Lighter to medium overcast -- 45 max

dim light or heavy overcast -- 92 HC

Very bright light -- 26 ED

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:14 pm 
Utility Grade

clays&game wrote:
Still have the same problem. Both 18 and 50 RHC work very well for me. However, when there is not enough light for 50 I don't have a good lense to use. I have 69 MWN but it does not work like those RHC tints do. I think I'll sell my 44N and 69 MWN and try to find something else. Is there similar lighter tint compared to those RHC lenses?

Like you, I normally use the 50 RHC and really like it. In lower light, I recently started using the 62 HCW. That works similarly well for me - so maybe check that out?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've been happy with my 60 HPC's :) I also use my 50 RHC's for the majority of the time.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have had many brands of glasses and in a few words nothing compares to the pilla. Go for it !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:33 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank you for your comments. I'll try to find 60 HPC and 62 HCW to see how they work for me.

I did not mention earlier that after visiting an eye doctor this spring I bought inserts with lenses matching my weakened eyesight. That made a huge difference! It also roughly doubled the money I already invested in my Outlaws but that was some money well spent. I hate the extra work to clean them and play with them when I need to change lenses but the benefit of the better vision is so huge that I can easily live with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 am 
Presentation Grade

clays&game wrote:
I think it's finally time to buy my first set of Pillas. I'm leaning to Outlaw X6. I like tints that dampens green and highlight orange (red-green deficiency). After reading some information about Pilla lenses I'm planning to pick a set of 18 RHC, 45 MAX and 69 MWN. Anyone familiar with those tints? Would you recommend some other lenses?

I've owned all 3. The only time I use the 18RHC is when i am shooting with the sun in my flight path. I woudl go with something ligher but if you are light sensitive, that is your call. I would go with a 26ED or 32MXB for full sun shooting like winter trips to AZ.

The MAX series is not for me but as many others say, color is personal.

I love the 69MWN and it is great for shooting in the pacific northwest. As to other colors, I like the 50 HRC and the 55 PWC for an all around lens. I also like a very light lens for dark forrests and night shooting - i use the 94HC.

I did try a set of the progressives and have caught myself really liking the PED but again this is an all around lens.

NSCA#633193
Kolar Max Lite Sporting (x2)
CSMC RBL Sporting
Ithaca M37
Beretta AL391 Urika 2 (x4)
Beretta A400 Xtreme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

hopper810 wrote:
I've been happy with my 60 HPC's :) I also use my 50 RHC's for the majority of the time.

62 year old eyes. The 60 HPCs are my go to in the dark woods or heavy overcast days. They were well used during the NE regional at M&M. In the bright sun open skies 44n the darkest I need.
I wouldn't go without a set now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:22 am 
Crown Grade

Seems as if the majority of top guns, both pro and amateur, are going to, or have gone to Pilla. Most of the Pros that I've seen are not RX yet.

The RX Outlaw, you've got 4 lenses to keep clean - a real pain in the summer with the sweat and constantly changing lenses due to the change in terrain on particular courses. Keeping 4 lenses clean seems like a distraction when you should be making your plan for that station.

My question, cost aside, is this more trouble than it's worth for a AA/A shooter?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:31 am 
Field Grade

I have had ranger and now I use Pilla they are without a question hands down better lenses. If you shop around and ask people who have bought them, you might find a deal!!
WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:58 am 
Tournament Grade

I am way late to this thread, but I feel compelled to add my .02 worth! After two years of contemplating I finally “pulled the trigger” on a set of Pillas. I was able to get them at a 25% discount on a special a local club was promoting. WOOHOO!! That special included the discount on everything including an extra lens and the prescription insert for which my optometrist’s office made lenses.

I have a very difficult time getting wrap-style glasses to fit my head. The left side is always too close to the point where my eyelashes rub and make a mess of the lens. Very distracting and uncomfortable. Add to that the problem of one ear being lower than the other, and we have a situation where it is fairly impossible for me to get the wrap glasses to fit.

Enter the new Pilla Outlaw X6 Copa Mundial (pronounced “moondeeall”) frame. WOW!! This frame makes for a totally customized fit. The temples allow for an adjustable pantoscopic tilt, plus the lengths of the temples can be adjusted individually. Check it out on the Pilla website. With this frame I am able to get a perfect fit! Yes, they are expensive, but man-oh-man is it worth every dime!! The ED (Enhanced Definition) Zeiss lenses were so sharp that I was actually able to shoot without my (fairly weak) prescription. Was shooting 23’s! Then this past Thursday I picked up the prescription lens insert from the optometrist, and on Saturday I went out to the range and shot 25 on the first round and 24 on the second! So cool! I felt like I had magic vision! Wish I had been able to get these Pillas long ago.

For those of you who have trouble getting a good fit with wrap-style shooting glasses the Pilla Outlaw 6 Copa Mundial is THE solution to your problems.

Cheers!