ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pilla
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Has anyone tried the new lens formulations? See: https://pillasport.com/blogs/featured-p ... lid-lenses

40CN - (40% Transmittance - Chromashift Neutralizer)
This new lens uses the 44N as a base while enhancing the filter efficiency of the color enhancing profile. This new spectral curve is delivered using Chromashift pigment technology to boost pink and orange while killing the green background in medium light.

64CB - (64% Transmittance - Chromashift BANANA)
This is a vibrant medium gray light introduction for Pilla. To date all our gray light lenses have been high transmittance lenses allowing more light through the lens. This new lens uses our Chromashift pigments with a Copper coating to enhance the sight picture of both clay targets and live game in the field. The shooters actual visual awareness is elevated with this new color lifting lens.

48RHC - (48% Transmittance - Chromashift Red High Contrast)
The 50RHC was introduced in 2012 and has been one of the best selling lens technologies Pilla has brought to the market. The new 48RCH builds on the 50RHC filter with a new Violet Chromashift coating and color enhancing pigment that delivers a more robust technology. This lens is a medium lighting lens where “Yellow” light dominates the sight picture.

16CRHC - (16% Transmittance - Chromashift Red High Contrast)
A solid filter for those looking for increased color boost in full sun. This lens uses the 18RHC as a base filter while accelerating the color values for target shooting. This lens uses our Chromashift pigments to enhance definition with a new coating. The transmission of the lens is darker than the current 18RHC which provides better efficiency in bright sun applications.

28CR - (28% Transmittance - Chromashift RASPBERRY)
The new Raspberry Chromashift lens harnesses the filter of the Progressive Cherry in a Solid Filter delivery. This is the first true “Red” based lens Pilla has brought to the market with the ZEISS platform. If you are looking for a vibrant color enhancing technology that will make targets vibrate with clarity or sight in on driven Pheasant, the Raspberry lens is one for your kit. This is a full sun lens with vivid color enhancing capability. Perfect for shooing into blue skies and open fields.

80HC - (80% Transmittance - Chromashift High Contrast)
This new solid filter uses the 76HC as a base while boosting color in low light. The lens is brighter in low light and benefits from the Chromashift pigment technology and has a new front side coating to reduce glare. This is a must have low light lens.

67CWN - (67% Transmittance - Chromashift Max/Neutralizer)
This new lens formulation blends the 66N and the 69MWN using the Chromashift coating found on our 18CED and 52CHC. This new filter profile has orange enhancement while using our green background neutralizer. The 67CWN is a great lens for those that would like a more subtle color boost while kicking back the background in medium to lower light.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I got the 67 CWN's not long after they came out and LOVE um :) They and my 50RHC's are the ones I use the most. Also have the 44N's and for sure low light the 70PWC's

I'm not light sensitive and just got finished using the 67's in bright Sun mixed with Shade(Sporting Course) and worked just fine :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Frank12us wrote:
Has anyone tried the new lens formulations? See: https://pillasport.com/blogs/featured-p ... lid-lenses

40CN - (40% Transmittance - Chromashift Neutralizer)
This new lens uses the 44N as a base while enhancing the filter efficiency of the color enhancing profile. This new spectral curve is delivered using Chromashift pigment technology to boost pink and orange while killing the green background in medium light.

64CB - (64% Transmittance - Chromashift BANANA)
This is a vibrant medium gray light introduction for Pilla. To date all our gray light lenses have been high transmittance lenses allowing more light through the lens. This new lens uses our Chromashift pigments with a Copper coating to enhance the sight picture of both clay targets and live game in the field. The shooters actual visual awareness is elevated with this new color lifting lens.

48RHC - (48% Transmittance - Chromashift Red High Contrast)
The 50RHC was introduced in 2012 and has been one of the best selling lens technologies Pilla has brought to the market. The new 48RCH builds on the 50RHC filter with a new Violet Chromashift coating and color enhancing pigment that delivers a more robust technology. This lens is a medium lighting lens where “Yellow” light dominates the sight picture.

16CRHC - (16% Transmittance - Chromashift Red High Contrast)
A solid filter for those looking for increased color boost in full sun. This lens uses the 18RHC as a base filter while accelerating the color values for target shooting. This lens uses our Chromashift pigments to enhance definition with a new coating. The transmission of the lens is darker than the current 18RHC which provides better efficiency in bright sun applications.

28CR - (28% Transmittance - Chromashift RASPBERRY)
The new Raspberry Chromashift lens harnesses the filter of the Progressive Cherry in a Solid Filter delivery. This is the first true “Red” based lens Pilla has brought to the market with the ZEISS platform. If you are looking for a vibrant color enhancing technology that will make targets vibrate with clarity or sight in on driven Pheasant, the Raspberry lens is one for your kit. This is a full sun lens with vivid color enhancing capability. Perfect for shooing into blue skies and open fields.

80HC - (80% Transmittance - Chromashift High Contrast)
This new solid filter uses the 76HC as a base while boosting color in low light. The lens is brighter in low light and benefits from the Chromashift pigment technology and has a new front side coating to reduce glare. This is a must have low light lens.

67CWN - (67% Transmittance - Chromashift Max/Neutralizer)
This new lens formulation blends the 66N and the 69MWN using the Chromashift coating found on our 18CED and 52CHC. This new filter profile has orange enhancement while using our green background neutralizer. The 67CWN is a great lens for those that would like a more subtle color boost while kicking back the background in medium to lower light.

I have - and LOVE:

55PWC Peach Chromashift: Fantastic for enhancing orange and lime green clays. I also get great clarity and definition with this lens. It is my primary lens. It was suggested to me by Tom at Pilla. He was right-on! :D

64CB Banana Contrast Chromashift: Perfect for low light such as cloudy days and as evening breaks. This creates the effect of bright daylight and contrast big time! :shock:

PED: Progressive Enhanced Definition: It does exactly what the name says. It allows light to enter from the lighter colored lower part of the lens yet you get nice definition without glare in the darker upper part of the lens. It is such high definition that I can actually go without my corrective lens insert when using this lens. That said, it is important to state that my correction isn’t all that extreme since I had cataract surgery.

10ED: This is a darkish brown Enhanced Definition lens which I will use this summer when the sun is extremely bright. I live in the high desert in SoCal, and the sun gets very strong, so this lens will be great for that because it will not only cut the glare, but because it is Enhanced Definition I don’t lose clarity with the dark lens. Seeing/focusing clearly with dark lenses can be a problem for those of us with “old eyes!” :x The 10ED helps reduce that problem. YAY!! 8)

Hope this helps... {hs#

Post subject: Pilla tint code
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:52 am 
Presentation Grade

I am also seriously considering a switch to Pilla as the eyes of my youth slip away. I can justify the high cost (gulp!), I can figure out the frame differences and I know that the number in the lens code is the percentage of light transmission. But, I can’t seem to decode the lens/tint nomenclature so I can make an intelligent choice of lenses. Is there a resource available that I can use to decode the lingo used to describe color/tint/etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

https://pillasport.com/collections/shooting

If possible try as many different colors as possible (shooting friends, bigger shoots) to see what you prefer. I ran through a few lenses that on paper I thought would work but weren't for me. I'm good now but wish I had a chance to test drive a few before buying. :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Caney Creek- Teague TX

Post subject: Re: Pilla tint code
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Diddle wrote:
I am also seriously considering a switch to Pilla as the eyes of my youth slip away. I can justify the high cost (gulp!), I can figure out the frame differences and I know that the number in the lens code is the percentage of light transmission. But, I can’t seem to decode the lens/tint nomenclature so I can make an intelligent choice of lenses. Is there a resource available that I can use to decode the lingo used to describe color/tint/etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

If you have a Pilla dealer nearby, perhaps you can compare and contrast a variety of frames and lenses. Ideally this would be at a shooting range. As they are assisting you in your selection process ask if you can go outside with various lenses to see the effects of the different tints. I was lucky enough to be allowed to do this at Triple B Clays Shooting Park in South El Monte, CA. The folks there are very helpful. By doing this I could actually see how the different tints affected the color and definition of orange clay birds, green grass (which would translate to the green clay birds we use at our range), brown grass and weeds (which would translate to the desert brown background we shoot against), and because it was overcast that day I was able to see how well the “Banana” lens brightens things up and enhances definition.

You’re right...they ARE expensive, so you want to make sure you get the tints that will work for your application. Another thing... go to the Pilla website and peruse the page where the various tints and their effects are shown in various settings. That will give you a very good idea as to what will work for your particular situation as well.

Good luck in your search. I guarantee you will love the Pilla glasses. They are worth every penny of your hard-earned shekels!

8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:49 am 
Field Grade

kind of like buying a nice shotgun, buy once , hurt once, or drag it out, Great lenses!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For whatever it's worth at this point, my own 3 goto lenses are as follows with a caveat at the end:

52 CHC -- my most used, all-around lens

40 CN -- what I use in bright conditions

94 HC -- just hint of yellow-green off clear, my goto for low light

*The caveat is I am older, and not overly light sensitive. For those that are younger and/or more light sensitive, you'll likely prefer darker (lower numbered) versions than me.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JacksBack wrote:
The caveat is I am older, and not overly light sensitive. For those that are younger and/or more light sensitive, you'll likely prefer darker (lower numbered) versions than me.

Same here :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Love my Outlaw 7’s. Went thru multiple brands before getting to Pilla. Wish I had started with them.

https://www.southerntrust.com/white-marsh/ryan-lowry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:07 pm 
Limited Edition

I would love to see some actual independent science comparing the Pillas vs others. I have read lots of anecdotal personal accounts but nothing that shows they are objectively better. Anybody actually performed testing or have a link to some quality science here?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do any of your shooting Buds use Pilla's? If so have you tried them for a comparison with your current glasses?

That would be your acid test :) Either you notice a difference or you don't,so no need for scientific data etc-etc :D

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Caney Creek- Teague TX