ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: barrel protector
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Where do you get those magnetic leather protectors that wrap around barrel to protect barrel when in wooden gun racks ?

Post subject: Re: barrel protector
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:52 am 
Presentation Grade

https://www.google.com/search?q=barrel+ ... ent=safari

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:24 am 
Crown Grade

It's not nearly as elegant as the ones Mr. Preglar provided a link for, but I've made my own by using insulation used on air conditioning lines. I bought a 6 ft piece for about $3 and made a couple dozen that works just dandy. I keep them in my shooting vest, equipment bag, gun case. I got them everywhere so one is handy whenever I need one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Bought three of the well known commercially available ones. In all of them the magnets inside worked loose fairly quickly but the protectors still work as the gun stand tends to hold them in place. Don’t use them much unless gun stands are not ideal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:36 am 
Tournament Grade

I’ve bought barrel tacos from Shotgun Sports and those from a competing barrel protector. All those from the competing brand’s magnets moved, some so badly they were unusable. For every one bought through Shotgun Sports magazine, however, their magnets have stayed in their original positions, have not moved, and each barrel taco operates as designed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:29 am 
Field Grade

Wow!

I know I’m relatively new to this sport, but it never ceases to amaze me how many accessories every activity can have.....I never thought of putting something between my new gun barrel and the (seemingly pristine) wood of the gun rack at my range. And I consider myself to be fairly picky (eg: like everything organized and in its place).

Learn something every time I’m on this forum!

Padron Cigars + Makers Mark = good times!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

What's the issue with temporarily placing your shotgun in a wooden rack? I've never noticed or heard of a problem before. Why would a barrel need protection from a wooden rack?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Some racks were once well made but are now worn out and have enough rough spots that potentially could scar the blueing on a barrel. Some were poor quality to start with and have similar rough spots. Some are made of synthetic material that are designed to prevent scarring blueing on a gun.

I don’t own expensive guns, but don’t want to scar them. If I owned a high end expensive gun, I really would do all I could to avoid scarring. Some people shoot clays 4 or 5 times a week. That much usage of potentially scarring racks is likely to cause scarring over time. In light of the relatively inexpensive cost of a barrel taco, it’s an easy decision for me to use them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Whether these barrel protectors are necessary or not depends a lot on how you place your gun in the rack and how you remove it. If you set the recoil pad on the bottom support of the rack and then lightly lean the gun into place, you won't scrape the bluing off the rib.

OTOH, if you push or scrape the rib as you are placing or removing the gun from the rack, then you might wear off a little bluing.

A much greater danger of putting your gun into a multi-gun rack is the careless people who bang their gun against yours while placing or removing their gun from the rack. Some people just don't watch what they're doing. They're too busy talking or distracted in some way to notice and apparently don't care.

So, if I were going to do something to protect my gun while in the rack (which I don't), I'd just slip it into a gun sleeve or a zip open case and then set it in the rack. That way, you protect not only the tiny spot on the rib which contacts the rack, but you protect the whole gun.

Even if the gun were to fall out of the rack or get knocked out of the rack, it would sustain little or no damage if it's in a case. A barrel protector protects just one spot on the rib. A case or sleeve protects the whole gun.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Whether these barrel protectors are necessary or not depends a lot on how you place your gun in the rack and how you remove it. If you set the recoil pad on the bottom support of the rack and then lightly lean the gun into place, you won't scrape the bluing off the rib.

OTOH, if you push or scrape the rib as you are placing or removing the gun from the rack, then you might wear off a little bluing.

A much greater danger of putting your gun into a multi-gun rack is the careless people who bang their gun against yours while placing or removing their gun from the rack. Some people just don't watch what they're doing. They're too busy talking or distracted in some way to notice and apparently don't care.

So, if I were going to do something to protect my gun while in the rack (which I don't), I'd just slip it into a gun sleeve or a zip open case and then set it in the rack. That way, you protect not only the tiny spot on the rib which contacts the rack, but you protect the whole gun.

Even if the gun were to fall out of the rack or get knocked out of the rack, it would sustain little or no damage if it's in a case. A barrel protector protects just one spot on the rib. A case or sleeve protects the whole gun.

The only time my Parcours is out of its sleeve is when I am in the stand. It goes into the stand in the case and I put it back in the sleeve when I leave the stand. Too much money to have it unprotected.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:05 pm 
Crown Grade

The Rattler wrote:
Some racks were once well made but are now worn out and have enough rough spots that potentially could scar the blueing on a barrel. Some were poor quality to start with and have similar rough spots. Some are made of synthetic material that are designed to prevent scarring blueing on a gun.

I don’t own expensive guns, but don’t want to scar them. If I owned a high end expensive gun, I really would do all I could to avoid scarring. Some people shoot clays 4 or 5 times a week. That much usage of potentially scarring racks is likely to cause scarring over time. In light of the relatively inexpensive cost of a barrel taco, it’s an easy decision for me to use them.

So how about just holding onto your gun while you wait your tun to shoot? Or leave it in the rack on the golf cart?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks. I've never noticed any issues but I'm careful in how I place it in the wooden racks at my club, which I attend twice a week. I worry more about clay pieces hitting my upgraded shotguns, but that's all part of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:59 pm 
Utility Grade

There are a few different barrel protector options found here.
https://heritageworkcraft.com/collections/frontpage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4414157267

facebook.com/apexclays

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:01 am 
Tournament Grade

I have one of the store bought ones without the magnet (I found the magnet to be a pia). However, for my wife's gun....went to a leather shop/saddle shop and had them cut me out a circle of soft leather and had her name stamped on one side. $10 and a nice touch.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Contact Shotgun Sports magazine & tell them you want to buy barrel tacos. I’ve owned a lot & these are the best and last a long time under heavy use.

Their number is: 530-889-9106. I’ve used a lot of different kinds, and these are the best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Whaaa....if you are that freaked out about gun racks, get a silicone cloth or rag. Or just hold on to your gun. The gun taco ain’t going to help you when the guy with the the Semiauto spits hulls at your gun in the rack....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:40 am 
Crown Grade

BMP, I believe a parcour is a field in a FITASC event and ain't gonna fit in your gun sleeve.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:00 pm 
Utility Grade

You can find a few different kinds at https://heritageworkcraft.com/collections/frontpage

I just gave away one of the soft barrel protectors while at a shoot on Wednesday night.