ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you bring a back-up or spare?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

All knowing list,

In my previous lives and much the way I live now there is a saying, nay a belief, near religious, that "One is none and two is one."

So, my question is do you always, sometimes or never bring a second or back-up gun to tournaments? This weekend I brought a 12 ga to back up a 12 ga, 2 O/U's. But what if you are traveling to a major shoot using multiple guns. Currently I use a 4 barrel set but I would have to bring 2 more guns to cover that set of four. I am not talking your local neighborhood tournament where you commute back and forth. Rather I am talking traveling to another state for a 4 day event with lots of shooting offered.

Before you ask, my guns are all top flight and well maintained and currently not seeing any issues. The second part of this is if decide your gun is good to go and it won't run, what is your plan.

s/f Steve

Post subject: Re: Do you bring a back-up or spare?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:43 pm 
Limited Edition

My old 525 32" Sporting is my go to and favorite. I bought it VERY well used and have no idea how many million rounds it has seen. I pack a back up to tournaments, but haven't needed it yet. (Crosses fingers)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shoot Krieghoff K-80 combo's. One of the most reliable guns ever made. Also shoot tournaments most every weekend, sometimes 4 or 5 days of the week. 20K targets each year.

I always take a back up K-80 combo when traveling, local club 18 miles from the house, no back up. Spare guns are more about how serious and competitive the shooter plays the game. How important the targets and scores are.

Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mdlott-I am calling BS on "millions of rounds".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Neanderthal wrote:
mdlott-I am calling BS on "millions of rounds".

Of course. It was an embellishment or exaggeration, obviously. My point was that it has many thousands of rounds, the number of which is a mystery. I plan to shoot it until it breaks, then fix it and shoot it some more. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:36 pm 
Limited Edition

I carry an Invictus 1 sporting and an Invictus 3 sporting to all tournaments. They are both fit to me and they match almost perfectly. The Invictus 3 does weigh 3 ounces more due to wood density, but since they balance so closely, it is not noticeable. I feel better having 2 identical guns. It is expensive to travel to a shoot, pay entry fees, motel room, etc. and not be able to shoot because your gun breaks. That being said, I have never had a gun to fail in a tournament. I have had my clays cart to break a couple of times. I have not figured out how to carry two carts. I have had to lend my backup to other shooters whose only gun failed on several occasions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:39 pm 
Crown Grade

When I drive, yes, when I fly, no.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:40 pm 
Crown Grade

SP1 is my main gun. The rest are back ups. Why ? Ohhhh maybe because one could never have too many shotguns, and that's ("back ups") a great excuse !................. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

man...
my back up is my old 1300, sometimes I just shoot it anyway since it's already in the truck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I never got to any registered shoot, or even club shoot, without a back up shotgun.

BobK II

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have 2 390 Golds and a black gun all with matching Wenig New American stocks, all 28" step ribs. Black 390 goes as a spare. Kolar ramp taper w/ tubes, Select grade is main gun Standard for a back up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:24 am 
Presentation Grade

I used to, but haven't needed it in 4 years so stopped bringing the backup. For bigger shoots that are in driving distance, I will have SxS and pump if needed in a pinch. I can shoot the SxS as good as any backup gun I have. Pump not so much.

At our state shoot two years ago, a squad mate from a neighboring state's gun broke and everyone was willing to let them use their gun to finish. No guarantees, but generally good folks shooting around you.

NSCA#633193
Kolar Max Lite Sporting (x2)
CSMC RBL Sporting
Ithaca M37
Beretta AL391 Urika 2 (x4)
Beretta A400 Xtreme

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 am 
Tournament Grade

I only carry a back-up gun to registered trap shoots. The other shoots don't matter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:09 am 
Field Grade

In the past 40 major matches over 3 years I could have used a backup gun once. At one time I did have two identical guns, at first two G34's. Then two SP01 Shadows, especially good as I was shooting both sports with them.

Where has a second gun more helped me? When something broke prior to a match and I had to wait for a part I could install or taking it to a gunsmith and waiting on them if it was beyond my ability at the time. Not so much in a match, but in the run up to one. Then I could still continue to practice and dry fire.

How stock/tuned are your guns? How much work could you do to one in an evening? How many spare parts do you keep on hand?

If possible, get something that works in the same holster and takes the same mags. Like right now my $4k Atlas limited gun is backed up buy a $1,200 STI Eagle. They fit in the same holster, take the same mag and ammo. Are they exact copies of each other, of course not! But it something without having to spend as much without a lot of extra stuff needed to make it happen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 am 
Presentation Grade

I only take a back up if it's an important/far away shoot say the State or anything that's >100 miles OR if it's an expensive shoot > $100 pre-entry!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:11 am 
Presentation Grade

2 Kolars weighted and balanced the same, same stock dimensions. 3 390s weighted and balanced to match the Kolar. Same stocks. You don't need it till you do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:28 pm 
Crown Grade

riflegunbuilder wrote:
2 Kolars weighted and balanced the same, same stock dimensions. 3 390s weighted and balanced to match the Kolar. Same stocks. You don't need it till you do.

Basically four spares?..... you don’t fly to many shoots with that load.:-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:59 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
I don't necessarily carry a "spare" per se. But, I generally have at least one extra gun available, because why would anyone ever have only one gun at hand?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

No RB. That's why they make 5th wheels. Lol, new 5th wheel is supposed to be here 3\1. I actually only carry a spare Kolar and 1 spare 390 all the time but I have a spare spare 390 and a spare MT6 should I get in a bind.
Only ever needed a spare twice in almost 90,000 Lifetime targets

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I always take a backup gun, actually needed it a couple times.

cdb