ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shooting in Italy???
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

So we just returned from a shooting trip in Italy. Before you think "I could never afford it", you're wrong. Other than the plane trip, the cost was the same or lower than in the US. I took a small team of young athletes to Umbria Verde to shoot in the Green Cup and we had the time of our lives. http://www.umbriaverde-sportingresort.com/en/

First: You must secure the proper travel documents (invitaton letter and firearms permit). Took about 3 days and zero cost from the club you'll be visiting.

Second: Secure TSA permit 4457 (no cost, but required for reentry of the firearm).

Third: Good gun case for your firearm.

We stayed in the center of the country in the region of Umbria. This is a series of lush valleys with grapes, olives, sunflower seeds, wheat and corn and tobacco (surprising). Hotel rooms were 60 to 85E per night, usually including breakfast.

The food was fabulous and inexpensive. But leave your American hangups at home (there is no such thing as a pepperoni pizza in Italy). Typical lunch was 8E. Dinner was 12 to 30 depending on how many courses you have.

English was always available, though like many countries it took a little work.

Rounds of FITASC, I Skeet, & Bunker are very reasonable and the targets are fantastic. In Umbria, there are probably 15 to 20 clay target ranges open. We shot at more than one. Ammo is the same price or cheaper than here and higher quality.

Gunsmithing and stock fitting services were readily available and highly cost effective (new custom stocks available at great prices).

History abounds. My wake-up moment was when I noted that the bank in Todi opened it's doors in 1425 (24 years before Columbus was born). The house down the street from our B&B was built in the early 1200s.

Like here, there were a few snobs, but the vast majority of shooters were first class, welcoming and hospitable folks. If it's somewhere in the back of your mind to take a trip, please do yourself a favor and do some homework.

You'll be happy you went.

Post subject: Re: Shooting in Italy???
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Great write up! Thanks for sharing.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have visited and can attest to the affordability and quality of the food.

we did eat a lot of pizza and it ruined us for pizza here in the US. just better quality and nice crispy thin crusts every single place we ate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Agree with oneounceload, in that your description of the shooting in Italy is far more useful than many other ads I have seen. My main issue with going would be whether I could resist a side trip, going to Brescia and end up ordering some exquisite shotgun from one of the many gun makers there. Maybe a side lever 20 gauge from Piotti!! Suddenly the trip got real pricey! LOL

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks Pintail, you had a great trip and some good memories.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:41 am 
Presentation Grade

We considered the side trip you talked about, but decided to go to another range instead of a 9 hour round trip in the van. The boys wanted to see the factory and find the makers of their guns; but it leaves something for next time (Lonato?)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:03 am 
Diamond Grade

You can train to Brescia but Beretta, Zoli, Perazzi, etc are not walking distance from the station. There is a bus that can get you to Gardone area where Beretta and Zoli (and I assume others) are but not sure about Perazzi as they are maybe 20 minutes away.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Just for us lazy ones, maybe you could give prices in good ole American dollars, not whatever it was you quoted. Thanks for the write up of your trip, it sounded like you had a lot of fun. Did you book through a travel agent ? How long were you there ? Maybe a general total cost ? Thanks for any more info. Paul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:39 pm 
Crown Grade

1E = 1.1USD

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

We were there for a total of 10 days, booked everything ourselves. I used frequent flyer miles for the tickets, so I don't have a real total cost. I'm guessing they were around $1200. Food was around $30/day, lodging was around $75/day. Transportation ~$600 including gas. We shot 2 flats of ammo @ $80, 10 rounds of practice @$8, and the tournament was $200.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:46 am 
Crown Grade

Thank you too. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Pictures?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

racer, I'm struggling to make pics work. I'm sure the error is between the keyboard and the chair.