ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What traps to add to new new 5 stand field?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As my subject line suggests, I am asking for recommendations for 2 new traps for a 5 stand course that we set up a few weeks ago. We are currently using 5 old Laporte skeet machines that I reconditioned over the last several months. We also incorporate a bird thrown from the trap house, for a total of 6 targets. Using Infinity Trap Bases, as well as natural terrain, we've been able to set up quite a variety of presentations; soft targets for now, because I'm trying to convert a group of skeet shooters.
Our club has approved the purchase of 2 more traps in the next budget. I'm pretty well set on adding a rabbit, but am not sure what else to throw from among the midi, mini, and battue specialty targets.
What suggestions do all you shooters have? And why?

By the way, if anyone is in or near Marshfield, Ma on a Thursday or Sunday, the 5 stand birds fly until 1:00 pm at the Marshfield Rod and Gun Club. Skeet runs on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday; trap on Wednesday at 3:30.

Post subject: Re: What traps to add to new new 5 stand field?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Atlas,Promatic,Mec,LaPorte all good machines and there may be others but any of those 4 would serve you well :)

Love my ITB Sure makes it easy to get the most out of your Trap and quick change to throw so many different presentations with 1 machine.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:25 am 
Limited Edition

I like Mec and Promatic. I’d recommend a long incoming midi or a chandelle to go with your rabbit. I like the Promatic chandelle machine better than the Mec. Our current Mec can be a little fickle. Promatics chandelle machine can be changed to throw rabbits as well. It’s generally just a swap of the throwing arm and a knife adjustment. Our Mec chandelle is set up to throw rabbits but it can also tilt back and throw a very nice air hare if you desire. I do not like a mini. We have one but it can be a very hard target for one to see. A battue is not a bad choice either. They can be thrown upside down or right side up to give you some variety. Having an extra training or soft spring for the battue can give you more options as well. Both Mec and Promatic make an excellent battue machine. I lean toward the Mec with a battue.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:40 am 
Crown Grade

Definitely on the rabbit and another one that can throw chandelle presentations. Down the road you can add midi, mini, 70 and battue. This should help keep your target acquisition costs down

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Oh brother, have you come to the right place for that.
First of all, good luck trying to convert skeet shooters, they swear a lot and are not normal.

You get in the grove, so to speak, shooting at repetitive targets, it's a change-up that creates a love-hate relationship with five stand or sporting clays.
Good shooters hate to wait for a target to fly in the kill zone, ie, incomers, high flyers, springing Teals, towers, and last but not least, bird-bunny combo for true pairs.
It gets you out of your comfort zone and makes you think! You know how fatal that is.

I helped set up a few courses and deliberately set targets so that even master class could never do better than 98% on a 100 bird range. I have shot courses where 85s were considered great scores and lucky get that! But you see, shooters love a challenge, they feel compelled to beat the game. And when they get too close to a 24 plus on five-stand that's the time to change the targets path on all the machines.

If you were going to target skeet shooters, here's an idea. Since skeet shooters are by nature perfectionist, set up a club 5-stand challenge using .410 or 28 gauge only. But whatever you do, make it fun and close to impossible for a 25 straight. If anyone does shoot a straight they will have club bragging rights to hold over their friends heads!

Good shooters have bad days, bad shooters have good days and the rest of us wonder why we didn't stay home and cut the grass instead of going to the club.

We are abundantly gifted with hindsight. If you're not having fun, why are you doing it?

PS:We finally got rid of our stupid Winchester rubber band machines and replaced them with MEC throwers. And of course, solar pannel charged batteries. Winchesters were a pain in the rear in mornings but it was winter time that got everyone fed up with them!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:31 am 
Crown Grade

Two traps, Rabbit and Chandelle should keep everyone "happy" for presentations they "love to hate"! They are the ones that work GREAT for a "change of pace"!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

BobK wrote:
Two traps, Rabbit and Chandelle should keep everyone "happy" for presentations they "love to hate"! They are the ones that work GREAT for a "change of pace"!!

Two traps in one = Atlas RTC 300 or 400! This machine will throw "rabbit" or standard clays with ease and almost limitless capabilities!

Check all their machines out and give them a call with any questions. Great people to talk to!

https://www.atlastraps.com/

pk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I throw all standard targets without any specialty birds, to keep the cost down. I use 4 Atlas AT300 machines and a wobble PAT trap out of the house. The Atlas traps can be tilted as well as elevated, and I can set up a mean course, if I feel like it. People like to break targets, so I like to see scores in the high teens and low 20s. I can also throw a round of 5 Stand for the same price at trap ($4). That means people shoot more rounds, and the club makes more money.

I also shoot at a near by club, that has a rabbit, but they charge $6 a round, so I usually only shoot one round when I visit there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

One 5-stand that I shoot at has 8 treaps, no skeet or trap houses are used.
Pretty deverse targets with always one rabbit, plus incoming, plus overhead batue.
They charge $4.50 per round for members, $6.00 for non members, and very active club.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:07 pm 
Crown Grade

$6 is too much? Most places I see charge between 7 and 13 per round depending on whether or not you're a member. I'd take $6 all day long for a good 5-stand

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How many rounds do you shoot in a typical day? I shot 7 rounds on Saturday. I usually shoot at least a flat every week. With targets, shells, and gas, this is not an inexpensive hobby, on a retirement budget.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Exactly; when I lived back in central Florida, I was at my local 2-3 times per week for 5-stand (and the friendship) Minimum of 4 rounds each trip then a tournament or two on the weekends. One of the reasons I started reloading 3/4oz. I could shoot more rounds per bag of shot and that light load is easy on my shoulder.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:49 pm 
Limited Edition

If you wanta make any money at five stand you need to be above $6. I personally like $8. You’ll have $2.50-$3.00 in a round just in clays. Then if the club has to pay someone to trap or pull 5 stand they just went in the hole.
Here’s an example of our 6 trap setup. 2 quartering birds, one L, one R, a rabbit from the right, a long curling midi, a L-R chandelle, and a tower bird coming over from just over the shooters heads. If you want 8. You can add a straightaway trap bird for 7 if you like and some type of hard crosser or battue for 8. A fivestand setup like this can be great for teaching beginners if you set it soft and you can get a lot of practice in without having to ride a cart. The most traps I’ve seen is 12 on fivestand but that’s just overkill.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:49 am 
Crown Grade

Lincoln traps. Made in America. Parts readily available at reasonable prices. Easy to work on. Rabbit chondelle combo trap. Shyda offers good tech support. Don't turn your five stand into a memory test. 6/8 machines is fine. Use extra machines to change the course. Makes it easier and faster. Rotate your machines out of the weather. https://www.lincolntraps.com/home.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Turpentine1 wrote:
If you wanta make any money at five stand you need to be above $6. I personally like $8. You’ll have $2.50-$3.00 in a round just in clays. Then if the club has to pay someone to trap or pull 5 stand they just went in the hole.
Here’s an example of our 6 trap setup. 2 quartering birds, one L, one R, a rabbit from the right, a long curling midi, a L-R chandelle, and a tower bird coming over from just over the shooters heads. If you want 8. You can add a straightaway trap bird for 7 if you like and some type of hard crosser or battue for 8. A fivestand setup like this can be great for teaching beginners if you set it soft and you can get a lot of practice in without having to ride a cart. The most traps I’ve seen is 12 on fivestand but that’s just overkill.

A club where I now live has 17 machines. There are three sets of stands - the main central one and one on the left at a 45degree angle and one on the right at a 45 degree angle. By moving from stand to stand for each round you can get some seriously different presentations and these are not fluffy targets - which is great for tournament practice - and why the owner set it up that way. Most of his customers are AA/M class NSCA folks who want tough birds.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Turpentine1 wrote:

A club where I now live has 17 machines. There are three sets of stands - the main central one and one on the left at a 45 degree angle and one on the right at a 45 degree angle. By moving from stand to stand for each round you can get some seriously different presentations and these are not fluffy targets - which is great for tournament practice - and why the owner set it up that way. Most of his customers are AA/M class NSCA folks who want tough birds.

I'm a member of three clays clubs, a life member at one club. At one club they charge $4.50 for members and $6.00 for non members for the 5-stand that has 8 stations. They don't really need to consern themselves about profit. However this is no reflection on myself but at our clubs we have members who could just buy the club and write it off as a poor investment. I'm just saying.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:07 am 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
Turpentine1 wrote:

A club where I now live has 17 machines. There are three sets of stands - the main central one and one on the left at a 45degree angle and one on the right at a 45 degree angle. By moving from stand to stand for each round you can get some seriously different presentations and these are not fluffy targets - which is great for tournament practice - and why the owner set it up that way. Most of his customers are AA/M class NSCA folks who want tough birds.

Interesting. I’m not sure I could mentally keep up with 17 traps but I’d sure like to see it. I’d bet it’s great for practice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:15 am 
Tournament Grade

I have to agree with oneonceload; I can do more with less shooting clays.
I went from 1-1/8th once to one oz loads to 7/8ths oz. and bought a new lighter wt. semi-auto 12 ga., then I started shooting my 20 gauge with 3/4 oz.. Now I shoot my 28 gauge 98% percent of the time on 5-stand and skeet. My scores remained exactly the same and my shoulder is not brused up.

The only thing I changed from #9s for skeet and #8s for 5-stand and sporting is that I use #8.5 shot in my 28 ga. for all three games and still my score did not deminish. As a matter of fact I won the last winter league by one target against the big guns using heavy loads.

So I guess if your on the target -your on! But if your off the target, a 10 gauge won't help!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

I vote for a new wobble trap machine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Promatic chondel is awesome because you can throw rabbits and standard targets. I’d vote for the battue as well. Different target that will be unique for those that have not shot one before. I know Promatic usually has quite a few demos for sale around year end. Pretty good price break normally.