ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: holding the gun
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm wondering about what others prefer for a gun grip. I love shotgun shooting and mainly shoot a lot of sporting clays, trap, and 5 stand. Researching trap over the years I often have heard "get in the gun" and have seen many good trap shooters hold the gun very tight with cheek mashed down on the stock very hard. On the opposite spectrum I've read SC pros say to hold the gun lightly, like a tube of toothpaste, to prevent a large amount of muscle tension which can cause gun movements that are not smooth. Also some of these SC shooters only lightly touch the comb w/their cheek when shooting. What have you found works best in your shooting?

Post subject: Re: holding the gun
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:19 pm 
Crown Grade

For ME, since my gun is not fitted to me, I go in between your two extremes. I have to remind myself to keep my head down, but I do not have to mash my cheek to it.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:26 am 
Crown Grade

I shoot gun down with a light touch for everything except trap. In trap with a pre-mounted gun I make sure the right had is a bit tighter. I think a lot of trap instructors claim the gun just lays in the left hand and right hand does all the work. With the fore mentioned and the gun in the face you won't be inclined to move just your hands, but turn from the feet up. If you're shooting gun down [ the mount ] style, you want both hands bringing the gun up to your face. You'll have a smoother mount without the gun teetering. Use a light grip, the same in both hands.

Last edited by bladesmith on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You should shoot in the way that you are comfortable.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.