ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dots
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Who all has found that using a dot was beneficial for yourself? I've read on here and other places all the normal replies concerning their usage but we're all different and I may be headed towards one because my off eye seems to be playing a bigger part that what it should and help explain some things that have been going on with me.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

Post subject: Re: Dots
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:37 pm 
Crown Grade

hopper810 wrote:
Who all has found that using a dot was beneficial for yourself? I've read on here and other places all the normal replies concerning their usage but we're all different and I may be headed towards one because my off eye seems to be playing a bigger part that what it should and help explain some things that have been going on with me.

Change one thing at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's probably your LOP anyway, Jerry. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:08 pm 
Crown Grade

AZ Dutch wrote:

Agreed. :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:08 pm 
Crown Grade

AZ Dutch wrote:

Agreed. {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

I was having the same impression of my shooting issues. It seemed that I had hit a wall and my progress was being hampered by a shifting eye dominance. I took a lesson with an instructor that has close affiliation with an optomologist. Together we did a series of tests to empirically diagnose my eye dominance. As it worked out, I am solidly strong eye dominant. Apparently, a lot of shooters that struggle with “eye dominance issues” are actually struggling with a wandering target focus. The fix: work harder on intense target focus in the last 2-3 seconds before the shot. I’ll admit that I was skeptical at first. But, I do believe, in my case, the diagnosis was correct. It’s worth a try. YMMV.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jerry--as you know I am right eye dominant. I shoot right handed. BUT w/ a 3 foot hunk of iron next to my face , my left eye tries to exert control and I have been using the Dot since D class.

It works perfectly for me.

BTW , I think your LOP is OK. :wink:

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:22 pm 
Limited Edition

I closed my left eye while shooting most of my life until recently when I decided I needed all the help I could muster...used dots for awhile to get myself to leave my left open. Immediate gain was some peripheral vision.
Gradually went to smaller and more open dots and finally none...shoot with both eyes open now and wish I would have worked on it a long time ago.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Hopper, I tried pretty much everything except a crazy design stock to reset my eye. Finally, tried a fingertip smudge of ChapStick on the inside of the appropriate lense - problem solved. It's not as obtrusive as a Magic Dot IMHO which I also tried. After about a flat, never noticed it and been using this method for the past 4 years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Diddle wrote:
I was having the same impression of my shooting issues. It seemed that I had hit a wall and my progress was being hampered by a shifting eye dominance. I took a lesson with an instructor that has close affiliation with an optomologist. Together we did a series of tests to empirically diagnose my eye dominance. As it worked out, I am solidly strong eye dominant. Apparently, a lot of shooters that struggle with “eye dominance issues” are actually struggling with a wandering target focus. The fix: work harder on intense target focus in the last 2-3 seconds before the shot. I’ll admit that I was skeptical at first. But, I do believe, in my case, the diagnosis was correct. It’s worth a try. YMMV.

My experience says there is big truth in this. I'm not sure my problem was wandering target focus, but I've started to fix some things I was sure were dominance related. Cross dominance/intermittent dominance is real... but it's not the panacea that I made it out to be. I wish I'd have figured it out before the US Open ... would have saved me some grief. Get a GOOD coach, or at least someone who has been coached by someone good, to spend some time with you. You ight be surprised at what you learn about your shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:17 am 
Crown Grade

I've used one for about 8 years and can't shoot without it. My left eye would at times take over. Why would I worry if it was or wasn't going to happen - just put the dot on and forget it. My Decot glasses with an adjustable bridge really helps for trap [ pre-mounted ] with my head down a little or up [ low gun ] for SCs. Try it, what do you have to lose?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You're at that age where you should get checked for cataracts. Sucks to get old i know. I just, as in last Friday, got my left eye "fixed" with an upgraded lenses and I was literally shocked to see the difference it made. I had no idea whatsoever how bad they had become, also had no idea that everything I was seeking had a yellow hue to it. I go back this Friday where we'll schedule my right eye as I can see a huge difference between my left and right eye. I'm hoping this has been the main issue with my shooting, but time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I wonder about peripheral vision. Do you need it all the time or just when trying to pick up a target coming into your field of vision? If the latter, then you could easily pick up the target with both eyes and then close the off-side eye to follow the target with only the strong-side eye. There is plenty of time to do this. They don’t liken speed to the blink of an eye for nothing. Is there a second target? Rinse and repeat. What could be easier?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Robert --I did that for a while , but it is tiring.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:26 pm 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
Robert --I did that for a while , but it is tiring.

Fair enough.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If I needed a dot, I'd look into the new "grid" style occluders.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:58 am 
Crown Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
I wonder about peripheral vision. Do you need it all the time or just when trying to pick up a target coming into your field of vision? If the latter, then you could easily pick up the target with both eyes and then close the off-side eye to follow the target with only the strong-side eye. There is plenty of time to do this. They don’t liken speed to the blink of an eye for nothing. Is there a second target? Rinse and repeat. What could be easier?

Short answer: yes, that could work and some do so. I have a few things for your perusal in April. You will argue with me to death in written format. It is better for you to see. If you see it, then you can convince yourself you understand it. As I said, the info is yours to do what you will with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

blackandgold wrote:
Short answer: yes, that could work and some do so. I have a few things for your perusal in April. You will argue with me to death in written format. It is better for you to see. If you see it, then you can convince yourself you understand it. As I said, the info is yours to do what you will with it.

{hs# {hs# :wink: :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:56 pm 
Crown Grade

blackandgold wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

I am anxious to work with you. I think it will be very instructive. Thanks.