ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilla lenses for colorblind...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:47 pm 
Field Grade

Anyone terribly red/green colorblind using Pillas? What lenses would you suggest?

Post subject: Re: Pilla lenses for colorblind...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:31 am 
Crown Grade

I’m not colorblind and not an expert on the subject. But I have done a lot of black and white photography which would seem to be applicable here. Just working it out for myself I would say orange lenses for orange targets. Orange will darken the blue and green of sky and foliage by absorbing those colors and brighten the orange targets relatively. Everything will be gray but there should be more contrast and separation between the targets and the background. Or possibly also helpful yellow, red, rose, rust, brown or purple. Stay away from anything blue or green.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:49 am 
Field Grade

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am red/green color deficient. I use light purple lens.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:56 pm 
Crown Grade

I just traded my Pilla’s because I couldn’t find a tint that worked well for me. Red doesn’t. Orange doesn’t. Purple doesn’t. Sometimes some tints will help a little, but for the most part, they all seem to mask targets rather than making them stand out. The yellow tint of the AR coating on the Pilla 99 lenses even made it harder to see targets, so there wasn’t anything in the Pilla line left for me to try. I’m back to my clear lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:13 pm 
Field Grade

sera wrote:
I am red/green color deficient. I use light purple lens.

Light purple is on of the lenses in my cart right now. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:14 pm 
Field Grade

Dave Holmes wrote:
I just traded my Pilla’s because I couldn’t find a tint that worked well for me. Red doesn’t. Orange doesn’t. Purple doesn’t. Sometimes some tints will help a little, but for the most part, they all seem to mask targets rather than making them stand out. The yellow tint of the AR coating on the Pilla 99 lenses even made it harder to see targets, so there wasn’t anything in the Pilla line left for me to try. I’m back to my clear lenses.

Yep. It's an expensive roll of the dice. I tried somem rangers last weekend and they made the targets much harder to see the the HD Gold glasses I have been using.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:48 pm 
Crown Grade

You can start with a less expensive brand. If it helps some, then a step up makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dave Holmes wrote:
I just traded my Pilla’s because I couldn’t find a tint that worked well for me.

Same here Dave,I went through WAY too many lenses and lost my butt and they just didn't work for me. Went back to Ranger Edges and have 2 colors that really make the Clay POP and deaden the background, Copper HD is the one that works for me the best,may not for others.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:23 am 
Crown Grade

I am horribly color blind. HD Copper, which is a RE Ramger color, works the best for me in everything but low light overcast gray days. The HD copper is a mix of amber and red with blue blockers. Blue sky looks pink to me with HD Copper and it contrasts the orange clay better than anything I have tried. On the overcast gray days, the blue blockers work against me and the clay loses contrast and I cannot see an orange target to save my life. On those days, I use HD Medium which does not have blue blockers and allows more light in. Maybe Pilla has something similar?

All of our eyes are different so unfortunately, it is trial and error until you find what you like best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:14 am 
Crown Grade

True color blindness (i.e., world in shades of gray) is quite rare and a very different condition than the various flavors of color weakness (e.g., red-green). Color weakness is hard to manage because there is so much individual variation.

You may get lucky and find an ophthalmologist who understands clays shooting and will test to try to find good color options. For most, it will be trial and error; so, best to find a vendor who will let you try different lenses without buying everything you touch. Good luck, I do not envy you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:42 am 
Crown Grade

Why not get a selection of clay targets in the colors you will likely see? Just buy them from your shooting club. Then get a selection of colored construction paper, mostly greens and blues, but also grays to simulate overcast sky. Then take all that to a Pilla or Ranger dealer and check out the visibility, contrast, definition in outdoor light of the various targets on the various papers using various lenses. It wouldn’t be perfect, but it ought to be helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:59 am 
Crown Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
Why not get a selection of clay targets in the colors you will likely see? Just buy them from your shooting club. Then get a selection of colored construction paper, mostly greens and blues, but also grays to simulate overcast sky. Then take all that to a Pilla or Ranger dealer and check out the visibility, contrast, definition in outdoor light of the various targets on the various papers using various lenses. It wouldn’t be perfect, but it ought to be helpful.

Sounds like a reasonable systematic approach, and the experience from B&W photography is probably a good starting point for someone who is fully color-blind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:08 am 
Crown Grade

Oops! I forgot to mention the need to have someone select the construction paper colors and label the them for you. Even if you are just red-green colorblind, it would behoove you to have assistance picking out the different paper colors.

Last edited by rpenmanparker on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've been shooting Randolph Rangers for 20+ yrs. Despite the falsehoods the Pilla gang posts , you can get the same quality glass from RR's.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:06 pm 
Field Grade

I can look at rangers locally. Closest Pilla dealer is 3 hours away so I may check them out

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Many Pilla dealers will let you try colors and if they don’t work you send them back, undamaged obviously.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:42 am 
Field Grade

Well crap. The local ranger dealer apparently isn't anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I was shooting today and found an unbroken orange target at one of the stations. I looked at it up close first with my vermillion lenses and then with no color filtration. The difference in color saturation and brightness was amazing. The vermillion lenses really made the target richly colored and contrasty relative to the background. But you already knew this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:50 pm 
Field Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
I was shooting today and found an unbroken orange target at one of the stations. I looked at it up close first with my vermillion lenses and then with no color filtration. The difference in color saturation and brightness was amazing. The vermillion lenses really made the target richly colored and contrasty relative to the background. But you already knew this.

Which lens do you have?