ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 bird shoot
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Local Sporting Clays range had a 3 bird shoot yesterday They have had a couple before but I was not able to attend. Myself and a good friend of mine went and had a blast! I looked in the safe and decided my Beretta A300 was the gun I was taking but I almost took my early 70's A 5. 8 stations 102 targets and I ended up with a 74 which was better than I thought I would do. It was the first time I had shot one of my SA in close to 2 years. Some stations were a single with a report pair and some were true triples. One station was 4 at one time and you picked the three you wanted to shoot. Fire 12 shells thru a semi auto real quick and believe me the barrel gets hot! High score was a 89 and my buddy who is a master class shooter shot a 84. One shooter shot a 78 with a Wingmaster but he is also one of the fastest pump gun shooters I have ever seen. Hardest thing to remember was to load three shells!

If you're ever down in central Florida and Polk Sporting Clays is having a three bird shoot you might just want to check it out. It's a good time! Also an all around great Sporting Clays venue ran by some great folks.

Post subject: Re: 3 bird shoot
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Glad to see Polk County doing well and getting creative............it's a nice place if you've never been there.......
http://www.polksportingclays.com/

Address
5000 Firetower Rd
Haines City, FL 33844
Phone – 863-956-6124

Email
[email protected]

David Caudill Partner
[email protected]

Keith Holland – Partner
[email protected]

Doug Cox -Partner/OnSite Manager
[email protected]

Hours of Operation
Wednesday—Sunday: 9:00AM–5:00PM

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:24 pm 
Crown Grade

That’s just crazy @&$!
{hs#

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:30 pm 
Limited Edition

rpenmanparker wrote:
That’s just crazy @&$!
{hs#

It is. But it sure is fun!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

The NM state normally hosts a 3 bird shoot. The giggle factor is off the charts!!! The NRAWC didn't in 2019 and no word if NRAWC will offer it in 2020, but I suspect it is going to be a regular soon enough. They did their first state in years and if you missed it, you missed out.

Anyhow, I will un-hesitantly sign up for any 3-bird evet and NSCA should, just like Super Sporting, get on board soonest.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Gunsite Guy wrote:
The NM state normally hosts a 3 bird shoot. The giggle factor is off the charts!!! The NRAWC didn't in 2019 and no word if NRAWC will offer it in 2020, but I suspect it is going to be a regular soon enough. They did their first state in years and if you missed it, you missed out.

Anyhow, I will un-hesitantly sign up for any 3-bird evet and NSCA should, just like Super Sporting, get on board soonest.

s/f Steve

I didn't post this on the Sporting Clays forum because I was sure I would get a lot of negative feedback from the hardcore SC shooters. Most of us have a SA stuffed back in the gun safe and other than hunting rarely bring it out. It's a fun time and no punches are involved and it's a great time to laugh at each other and end the day with bragging rights. That's why I started shooting clays to begin with!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have only been shooting clays six years but it feels like I started only just yesterday. I have shot 3-bird at four different events and I can tell you there were no shortage of participants. One year, I went to the event organizers and paid for another round, non-competitive, just because I could.

I shoot a F3 in all 4 gauges but I also shoot the pump and SxS.. My logic is if shooting one round is fun then a 100 rounds is a hundred times as much fun.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Gunsite Guy wrote:
I have only been shooting clays six years but it feels like I started only just yesterday. I have shot 3-bird at four different events and I can tell you there were no shortage of participants. One year, I went to the event organizers and paid for another round, non-competitive, just because I could.

I shoot a F3 in all 4 gauges but I also shoot the pump and SxS.. My logic is if shooting one round is fun then a 100 rounds is a hundred times as much fun.

s/f Steve

Your F3 is a fine gun. I've been shooting a good friends F3 in sub gauge events this past year and have done pretty good with it. I shoot a 725 Pro Sporting but I'm thinking about buying a 28 gauge soon. I really enjoy the sub gauge events and it would also work well as a quail gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

that sounds like a good event to draw some new shooters in with.
I'd give it a go in a heartbeat.
but then again I will shoot trap doubles with a pump gun or a hammer fired SxS just cause I have them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:58 am 
Tournament Grade

fiver wrote:
that sounds like a good event to draw some new shooters in with.
I'd give it a go in a heartbeat.
but then again I will shoot trap doubles with a pump gun or a hammer fired SxS just cause I have them.

{hs#

I like the way you think.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One of our local clubs throws a super-triples side event; basically super sporting with 3 traps. A 3-way report, a TP followed by a report single, or a single with a TP on report, then all 3 true. Huge fun, and puts the auto or pump collecting dust in your safe to good use!

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:18 am 
Diamond Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Glad to see Polk County doing well and getting creative............it's a nice place if you've never been there.......
http://www.polksportingclays.com/

Address
5000 Firetower Rd
Haines City, FL 33844
Phone – 863-956-6124

Email
[email protected]

David Caudill Partner
[email protected]

Keith Holland – Partner
[email protected]

Doug Cox -Partner/OnSite Manager
[email protected]

Hours of Operation
Wednesday—Sunday: 9:00AM–5:00PM

This is the same grounds that is adjacent to the 4 H, or Scout camp, or whatever, with the group cabins right? I was there just once about three years ago and I thought it was a real nice venue. Sounds like new ownership or new management?

I enjoy vintage style skeet even though opportunities are extremely rare or non-existent lately in my area. The three bird shoots sound like even more fun! I'm going to try it first chance I get.

Since we're kinda on the subject, isn't there another, older, well established club somewhere in Polk County that offers skeet, trap and perhaps now five stand? I recall shooting there many, many, years ago and as I recall, they had occasional registered skeet as well as practice skeet and trap of course.

I may be taking a trip to that area sometime this winter and definitely will try to get to the clays course again.

Thanks for the post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:44 pm 
Crown Grade

A single and a following report pair - would that be three birds on report ? We have a pump gun Friday - 6 birds on report from two machines. Eight stations, one has eight birds, the rest six. This year I may have enough machines to use three on a couple of stations.