ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teague Chokes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:03 pm 
Field Grade

I just recieved and shot some teague chokes in mod constriction without the parellel and im quite impressed . Anybody else shoot these chokes . If so whats your opiniin of them

Post subject: Re: Teague Chokes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They're like other chokes. They work perfectly w/in the parameters of what a choke can do.

I like their flush mount Ti chokes as they do what I want--not weigh down the muzzle.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:49 am 
Crown Grade

Teague Precision chokes is now part of Westley Richards and they are used by the most expensive and well known British gun makers. For example, it is what Purdeys uses in their guns-nuff said?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are two basic designs for chokes, pure conical with no parallel section and those with a parallel section after the step down. In my general testing the two perform equally, although those with a parallel section tend to pattern slightly tighter --call it a quarter to half-step tighter-- than their conical counterpart. Other than that, no difference.

Setting that aside, the Brain choke with its double step down does pattern very well too -- perhaps another quarter-step tighter and a wee bit more even distribution than a parallel choke of comparable constriction.

Other fantastic claims of superior distribution or longer or shorter shot columns are basically snake-oil salesman type comments that don't really bear out under testing.

So end of day, pick a choke that patterns around Mod in your gun with your load, meaning it throws a good 75-80% of the pellets inside a 30" circle at 30 yards regardless of what it's marked ;)

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If one means tighter is better , then don't use that choke for skeet where looser is better. :wink:

If one wants an IC choke to pattern like a Mod , then get a Mod and paint "IC" on it and you'll feel sooooooo much better.

If that same shooter thinks he can out shoot any old choke , then that shooter is delusional and should ask his shrink to change his meds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:45 am 
Crown Grade

How would any of us know if we don't pattern?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

blackandgold wrote:

Exactly. {hs#

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:42 pm 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
blackandgold wrote:

Exactly. {hs#

Agreed. Find the choke that throws a consistent pattern to your liking in your gun and with the ammunition you shoot and then leave it alone.

If over time something changes and you are not getting real life breaks you like on targets at the range it might be time to recheck things at the pattern board.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have 3 sets of chokes for my 2 guns (they are both .736 bore). One came w/ the gun , a second I bought and the 3d I won in a raffle at a shoot.

The Teagues make patterns very similar to the Brileys and the Extremes make a slightly tighter pattern for the same nominal constrictions.

YMMV

Last edited by sera on Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a set of Teague stainless steel thin wall chokes that were made for my Beretta ASE 90 over 20 years ago. They are as thin and light as foil any rely on a friction wrench for install and removal. They are also serial numbered to the gun. They pattern beautifully and were made with the upmost precision.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:53 am 
Presentation Grade

I've got some for my Perazzi MT6 that work great. I first went with them because there aren't a lot of options for MT6 chokes these days (Wrights is now gone, and Briley treats them like a custom order and wants a fortune to make them) Even with shipping from the UK, the price wasn't bad. They patterned well, and they seem to be expertly machined. I notice they don't tend to shoot loose like some other chokes I've had.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:15 am 
Crown Grade

Choke tubes are choke tubes -if made by a reliable maker, they work well. Remember, patterns are random (within limits), and no two are alike, and that is true regardless of the price of the choke tubes!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:58 am 
Field Grade

Ok ! Well anyway I have brileys , mullers , and teague and even though i havent went to the pattern board yet with the teague . I like the teague a little better . They shot really well out of my gun . And like they say get the chokes you like and go shoot .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:05 pm 
Crown Grade

In the UK virtually all the time served shooters have used Teague chokes at some point. Most of us have met Nigel Teague, and as he lives within 40 minutes of me I've had the pleasure of shooting sporting with him. He sold the business to Westley Richards a few years ago but keeps active doing some smithing and gun fitting.

No slight intended on Mr Muller, Mr Briley or anyone else but you simply cannot buy better chokes than Teagues and I've never heard of any of them splitting in Beretta Optima barrels.

They are the standard by which others are judged which is why Guerini contracted Nigel Teague to assist them with designing their Maxis competition chokes. That might possibly explain why so few Guerini shooters feel any need to use after market chokes?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:15 pm 
Field Grade

Good to know that trickster . I was looking at a CG gun at one point so if i go in that direction direction I'll bhave confidence in my choles3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:16 pm 
Field Grade

Well Im stuck on Teague chokes . Mod and mod for clays . IM in in unsingle for singles trap . Probably mod and im for dbles .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:41 pm 
Field Grade

Shot 125 rds of trap yesterday and been shooting SC sinve last week with my teague chokes . Needless to say I am totally satisfied . The str8 conical design seems to work in my gun beautifully . Now my only problem is proving to my shooting partner im thru with my coke testing project

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:02 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Trickster wrote:
In the UK virtually all the time served shooters have used Teague chokes at some point. Most of us have met Nigel Teague, and as he lives within 40 minutes of me I've had the pleasure of shooting sporting with him. He sold the business to Westley Richards a few years ago but keeps active doing some smithing and gun fitting.

https://shotgunreport.com/2017/01/02/te ... ey-chokes/

http://randywakeman.com/