ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter Reading
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've started reading a couple of shooting books. Mastering Sporting Clays, by Don Currie, aligns with my approach to shooting, at least through the early passages and I'm certain to gain new perspective and insight as I turn the pages. Mastering Skeet, by King Heiple, gets mixed reviews from others. I've not gotten along far enough myself to have an opinion about his opinions. Both texts "cover the bases." Knowing more helps me become more, or something. What are you reading? Any recommendations?

Post subject: Re: Winter Reading
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:48 pm 
Field Grade

Shotgunning: The Art and The Science by Bob Brister. Lots of good info on leading targets.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Live Pigeon Trap shooting by Cyril Adams
Anything by Michael McIntosh
Advanced Competition Shotgunning by Michael Forehand

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:44 am 
Tournament Grade

Holly cow; where should I begin. The guys that wrote that stuff has absolutely nothing in common with you the reader. Different build, different gun, different loads, mentality etc, and those guys live on a clay club shooting thousands of targets a month.
It's important to know that you are unique in all the world and nobody can see through your eyes.
I have viewed some of those pamplets, books, and videos and came to two conclusions.
[1] They want to make money off of people like you so they can shoot for free.
[2] My club offered some of these DVD videos for members to watch, they are still unopened.
Most of this stuff is so exciting to watch it can only be compared to sitting on my porch watching the grass grow! Thanks to Covid-19 I now sit at home listening to my joints pop.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:57 am 
Tournament Grade

Holy cow. I take it you're not much for reading. Not that it matters. Since you brought this back to life, I enjoyed Currie's Mastering Sporting Clays and skimmed across Mastering Skeet, by King Heiple. After laboring through a pair of Malcom Gladwell's successful titles I've taken a dive into Jon Meacham's acclaimed effort, The Soul of America. It's a good read if you enjoy history. I do.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well the point is that: "your the one holding the gun." Not someone that makes a living at it or makes frenquint trips down to Texas living on fame and fortune.
Success does not come easy, free, or quick. Nothing beats on the job training.
If we were talking about golf, reading books or watching videos. Lets see how long it would take you to become a PGA Pro to get on the number #1 at Augusta National.
LOL.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Your point was "you're the one holding the gun." You're correct. Nobody can learn the essence of shooting from a book. The post was asking what people are reading way back in January, which is something people who enjoy reading often do in January. You don't read. I get that too. It's obvious. So why would you bother to resurrect this harmless post and take me to task for reading about something I enjoy? If you don't like the topic, move on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:51 am 
Tournament Grade

I apologize for being an interloper. Passing time is a good thing, if it helps.
Happy Easter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:36 am 
Crown Grade

groyce wrote:
Your point was "you're the one holding the gun." You're correct. Nobody can learn the essence of shooting from a book. The post was asking what people are reading way back in January, which is something people who enjoy reading often do in January. You don't read. I get that too. It's obvious. So why would you bother to resurrect this harmless post and take me to task for reading about something I enjoy? If you don't like the topic, move on.

Well said, the trolls / pot stirrers could stay under the bridge.
BTW, I just ordered Mastering Sporting Clays, by Don Currie, for something to read during this safer at home directive from our Governor.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think we're all getting cranky. Shelter in place doldrums.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Groyce--I have enjoyed a lot of the stuff coming out of the UK while we all try to outlast the CV 19. You tube , mostly.

Have fun and stay sane.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

sera wrote:
Groyce--I have enjoyed a lot of the stuff coming out of the UK while we all try to outlast the CV 19. You tube , mostly.

Have fun and stay sane.

Thank you. We're well, for the most part. I have my books and access to more when I'm ready. There's still a stockpile of reloading supplies, although I loaded the last of my 410 hulls as of yesterday and I'll miss the challenges of loading those midget rounds. I've put the bicycle back on the trainer and there will be yard work before long. There's always something to do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

More reading--but not about shooting--"Empire of the Summer Moon" and The Splendid and the Vile"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:56 am 
Presentation Grade

i think King Heiple's book about shooting skeet is essential. No one else has such an in-depth discussion about angular velocity and apparent leads. The book certainly doesn't answer all my questions about skeet, but I learned more from the book than any other.

It's not reading, but Paul Giambrone's new skeet DVD is the best video I've seen. On his website he has a lot of good instructional reading.

I also like John Shima's book, The Moment of Truth, though it is way too long and too expensive.

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you have not read Pat Mcmanus books you are missing out. Outdoor humor at its best and there are a bunch of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:23 pm 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
If you have not read Pat Mcmanus books you are missing out. Outdoor humor at its best and there are a bunch of them.

Same can be said about Gordon McQuarrie. Both authors are great reads.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Pat McManus: Shoot Low Boys (They're Riding Shetland Ponies) and They Shoot Canoes Don't They. Hilarious. I love his description of the stages of realization that you are lost and the "Modified Stationary Panic" response.

Here in the Southern Coastal region, Archibald Rutledge's Bird Dog Days/Wingshooting Ways, and Tales of Whitetails are a good read. Nash Buckingham's De Shootinest Gent'man & Other Hunting Tales, Mark Right, and others are good also.

I read those during my high school and college years.

JB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pat lived in Blight, Idaho back in the day.He stated when the depression came the economy of Blight finally picked up. :lol: